[sci.electronics] Thermoelectric Generators

charlie@oakhill.UUCP (03/04/87)

Theremoelectric generators are made by Teledyne Energy Systems.
110 W. Timonium Rd.
Timonium, MD. 21093
phone 301-252-8220

A typical model from Teledyne will generate 30 watts and consume
33.6 pounds of butane per week.  Output voltage is 12 volts at 2.5 A.
Typical size for such a unit is 17x25x23 inches and weighs in at
a hefty 73 pounds.

I found a little *barge* floating in the Tennesse River with one of
these units attached.  The barge also had a 19 inch radio antenna
attached to a box....about a mile upstream was the Brown's Ferry
Nuclear Plant!

Charlie Thompson
Motorola Digital Signal Processor Operation
Austin, TX.

ewiles@netxcom.UUCP (Edwin Wiles) (03/09/87)

In article <3086@watdcsu.UUCP> sgcpal@watdcsu.UUCP (P.A.ul Layman [EE-Device Physics]) writes:
>After consulting my undergrad text on the subject I found a picture of
>such a device which was (maybe still) manufactured by 3M.  It produced
>200mW at 9V.  It could run for 24 hrs on a tank of fuel (kerosene) that looks
>like the one on a standard coleman lattern.  It goes on to say that the
>thermocouples(I count 6) were hermentically sealed.  Therefore expensive?

All the talk about thermoelectric generators that I've seen have all stated
that the devices worked off of either chemically generated heat, or by burning
some fossil fuel.  It would seem that these devices are idealy suited for use
in solar production of electricity.  Has any work been done?  Are there any
models that work with solar heat?  How efficient are they?  Cost effective?

--

					Edwin Wiles
	seismo!sundc!netxcom!ewiles	Net Express, Inc.

ken@rochester.UUCP (03/09/87)

|All the talk about thermoelectric generators that I've seen have all stated
|that the devices worked off of either chemically generated heat, or by burning
|some fossil fuel.  It would seem that these devices are idealy suited for use
|in solar production of electricity.  Has any work been done?  Are there any
|models that work with solar heat?  How efficient are they?  Cost effective?

Remember heat is a low grade form of energy. If you have sunshine, it
is better to convert directly, using solar cells.

	Ken