[sci.electronics] Wireless data link: How do I modulate?

zabetia@tiger.UUCP (03/12/87)

So how would I go about sending the data over the laser, or the LED's?

Should I just pulse them on for a 1 and keep them off for a 0?

Should I constantly send a square wave(on-off-on-off) at about ten times the
frequency of my data and then keep it on for a 1 or off for a 0?  I mean:

data:
	1          ------      ------------		     ------

levels: ?   ------ (no data)			 ------		   --------

	0		 ------            ------      ------
	   no bit   bit   bit    two bits   bit   none  bit    bit  no bit

Emitter:
	on - - - - ------      ------------      - - -       ------ - - - -

	off - - - -      ------            ------ - - -------      - - - - -

Anybody have better ideas?  How do they do it for fiber optics?

Thank you again for your help.

--
Mahboud Zabetian		allegra! --\	zabetia@tiger.princeton.edu
232 Pyne Hall			mhuxi! -----\		(609) 452-2285

larry@kitty.UUCP (03/14/87)

In article <177@tiger.Princeton.EDU>, zabetia@tiger.Princeton.EDU (Mahboud Zabetian) writes:
> So how would I go about sending the data over the laser, or the LED's?
> Should I just pulse them on for a 1 and keep them off for a 0?

	Since we are talking about a free-air wireless link (not fiber optic),
a simple encoding scheme like the above will never work in any reliable
fashion due external light influence.  Furthermore, in the trivial case,
any apparatus failure or optical path interruption would be interpreted as
a logical 0.  We need a method to ascertain the integrity of the communication
apparatus and propagation path.  [read on...]

> Should I constantly send a square wave(on-off-on-off) at about ten times the
> frequency of my data and then keep it on for a 1 or off for a 0?  I mean:

	This is a step in the right direction (sort of like 1/2 FSK :-) ),
but pretty risky data communication.  The problem, as in the first example,
is no validation that a detected logical 0 is a _real_ logical 0, or is the
result of optical link failure.
	The simplest modulation method is FSK (frequency shift keying).
For example, to send a 1200 bps signal a 5 kHz carrier frequency might be
a logical 0, and 5.8 kHz might be a logical 1, with the amount of the
frequency shift being 800 Hz.  The receiver must always detect either of
the above frequencies on an exclusive-OR basis, otherwise the communication
link is presumed to have failed.  Both the 5.0 and 5.8 kHz frequencies are
individually detected; examples of detection methods are: (1) band-pass
filters (switched-capacitor filters work nice) coupled to energy detectors;
(2) phase-locked loop frequency detectors; (3) off-the-shelf FSK modem
IC's.
	For full-duplex operation, each direction should use carrier
frequencies and frequency shifts selected to minimize interference from
intermodulation products resulting from detecting the signal from the other
direction (there is usually some problem of local receiver-transmitter
optical coupling, often caused by reflection off objects close to one local
end).
	I have designed optical links using PPM (pulse-position modulation)
with good results.  PPM has the advantage of requiring only one constant
carrier frequency (for each direction), one bandpass filter, and one energy
detector.  PPM circuits are a bit trickier to design, but in my opinion, PPM
is more reliable than FSK and other techniques (like phase-shift modulation)
for low-speed (< 10 kbps) free-air optical data links.

> How do they do it for fiber optics?

	Fiber optics solve one major problem which plagues free-air optical
links: fiber optic transmission effectively eliminates all extraneous light
other than the transmitted signal, since fiber optic cables all have an
opaque sheath.
	As a result of their being no extraneous light, fiber optic systems
generally use direct data pulses (i.e., pulse rate = bit rate)  rather than
any carrier frequency type of modulation scheme.
	While simple mark-space data encoding may be used for fiber
optic links, such a simple technique no longer becomes feasible when
data rates exceed 50 kbs; at this point modulation codes are necessary.
	While fiber optic signals are directly detected as 0's and 1's,
these bits are encoded using a modulation code not unlike that used in
magnetic media recording.  Modulation codes used in fiber optics include:
RZ, NRZ, NRZI, biphase-mark, biphase-space, Manchester, MFM, and a delay
modulation scheme called Miller.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rocksanne|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|seismo|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}    "Have you hugged your cat today?"