[sci.electronics] Thermoelectric Generators & Solar Cells

news@rlvd.UUCP (03/13/87)

In article <25706@rochester.ARPA> ken@rochester.UUCP (SKY) writes:

>Remember heat is a low grade form of energy. If you have sunshine, it
>is better to convert directly, using solar cells.

I would be most interested in info on:

1) A cheap source of solar cells (for small consumer applications). Here
   in the UK these things are still quite expensive.

2) The current cost per kW of commercial (ie. power station) scale solar
   generation.

Thanks.
Michael Parsons,  Software Engineering Group,  Informatics Division,
SERC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Chilton, Didcot, Oxon, OX11 OQX
Tel:0235-21900x5894 UUCP:..!mcvax!ukc!rlvc!msp JANET:msp@uk.ac.rl.vc

sdp@omssw1.UUCP (Scott Peterson) (03/17/87)

In article <212@rlvd.UUCP> msp@rlvc.UUCP (Mike S Parsons) writes:
>In article <25706@rochester.ARPA> ken@rochester.UUCP (SKY) writes:
>>Remember heat is a low grade form of energy. If you have sunshine, it
>>is better to convert directly, using solar cells.
>>
>I would be most interested in info on:
>2) The current cost per kW of commercial (ie. power station) scale solar
>   generation.

I remember hearing somewhere that it takes more energy to manufacture
a solar cell than it can produce (or rather, convert) over its practical
lifetime (say, a decade).

Maybe the thermopile has some short term advantage?

--

Scott Peterson, Intel Corp., Hillsboro, OR, ...!tektronix!ogcvax!omssw1!sdp

howard@cpocd2.UUCP (Howard A. Landman) (03/18/87)

In article <212@rlvd.UUCP> msp@rlvc.UUCP (Mike S Parsons) writes:
>I would be most interested in info on:
>2) The current cost per kW of commercial (ie. power station) scale solar
>   generation.

You're in luck.  The cover story on this month's Scientific American is
about solar photoelectric power.  They predict first commercial installations
around 1990 and widespread use around 1995, if current price/performance
trends continue.
--

	Howard A. Landman
	...!intelca!mipos3!cpocd2!howard