[sci.electronics] Infra-Red Receiver?

psfales@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Peter Fales) (03/18/87)

I have been trying to come up with a simple method to receive IR signals
such as those produced by a television set remote control.  Since I don't
need a great range (even a few inches would suffice), I thought it would
be fairly simple, but I have come to the conclusion that there is
something I don't know.

In the March issue of Byte, Steve Ciarcia claims to the the job with
nothing more than a photodiode in series with a resistor (cleaned up
through a voltage comparator).  But I can't make this work.  I have
tried several different IR photodiodes and phototransistors and in all
cases the response time is too slow to accurately reproduce the square
wave signal of the carrier (~40 KHz).   One diode I have not tried yet
is the TIL413 used in Ciarcia's article.  Can I expect it to make that
much difference?  Anybody know where I can get one?

Any other suggestions?  As a result of the recent articles in Byte on
this topic, I suspect that there may be others on the net who would
be interested in any suggestions you may have.

Thanks in advance,
--
Peter Fales		UUCP:	...ihnp4!ihlpl!psfales
			work:	(312) 979-7784

schumann@puff.WISC.EDU (Christopher Schumann) (03/23/87)

In article <1922@ihlpl.ATT.COM>, psfales@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Peter Fales) writes:
> I have been trying to come up with a simple method to receive IR signals
> such as those produced by a television set remote control.  Since I don't
> need a great range (even a few inches would suffice)
> Thanks in advance,
> Peter Fales

Try a phototransistor.  Radio Shack sells an IRED LED, Phototransistor
pair for less than 3 dollars.

If you use a large resistor (1 Megohm) you will get high sensitivity,
but slow response.  A smaller resistor will be less sensitive, but
will be faster.  Pick up RS's Mini-notebook on Opto-electronics for $1.49
for more help.

Chris Schumann				schumann@puff.wisc.edu

dennisg@fritz.UUCP (03/24/87)

In article <562@puff.WISC.EDU> schumann@puff.WISC.EDU (Christopher Schumann) writes:
>Try a phototransistor.  Radio Shack sells an IRED LED, Phototransistor
>pair for less than 3 dollars.

AAARGH!

It's real handy to drop in to Radio Shack and pick up nifty parts for cheap,
but I wish that they would get their act together.

I bought said combo a couple of weeks ago, and just tried to use them last
night.  NO WORKIE until I found out that the data printed on the back of
the blister pack gave the WRONG PIN-OUT FOR THE IR LED!

Since the diode in question emits no light visible to my current set of
peepers - even when the LED is installed properly - this took awhile to
diagnose.

Moral of the story:
	o always put a visible LED in series with the invisible one(s)
	o never trust the data on a blister pack

gene@cooper.UUCP (03/26/87)

In article <3972@fritz.UUCP>, dennisg@fritz.UUCP (Dennis Griesser) writes:
>               ... until I found out that the data printed on the back of
> the blister pack gave the WRONG PIN-OUT FOR THE IR LED!

What I do in most cases is not to trust such things like "short lead is the
cathode, long lead is the anode" or any pictures of the case. Unless the
LED is in a mondo-strango case, look through the plastic and match the leads
with this drawing:

	-------(-===-)----  ----
	|               /   |  |
	|  ------------/    |  |
	|  |                |  |
	|  |                |  |
	|  |    ---|<---    |  |
                C      A

					Gene

					...!ihnp4!philabs!phri!cooper!gene

	"Mourn for us, so pressed with fear.
	 Chained and shackled, we all found
	 Freedom choked, in dread we lived
	 Since Tyrant was enthroned."

				- RJAH

levy@ttrdc.UUCP (03/29/87)

In article <801@cooper.UUCP>, gene@cooper.UUCP (Gene from EK Enterprises) writes:
<In article <3972@fritz.UUCP>, dennisg@fritz.UUCP (Dennis Griesser) writes:
<<               ... until I found out that the data printed on the back of
<< the blister pack gave the WRONG PIN-OUT FOR THE IR LED!
<What I do in most cases is not to trust such things like "short lead is the
<cathode, long lead is the anode" or any pictures of the case. Unless the
<LED is in a mondo-strango case, look through the plastic and match the leads
<with this drawing:
<	-------(-===-)----  ----
<	|               /   |  |
<	|  ------------/    |  |
<	|  |                |  |
<	|  |                |  |
<	|  |    ---|<---    |  |
<                C      A

Why not just test with an ohmmeter (compare with the way the ohmmeter reads
on a known-good garden-variety diode)?
--
|------------dan levy------------|  Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
|--------skokie, illinois--------|

ornitz@kodak.UUCP (03/31/87)

In article <1640@ttrdc.UUCP> levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:

>Why not just test with an ohmmeter (compare with the way the ohmmeter reads
>on a known-good garden-variety diode)?

Light emitting diodes have a much higher forward drop than silicon or germanium
diodes.  Many ohmmeters have too low a voltage to indicate forward conduction
with LED's.  This is particularly true with digital multimeters which often
have a special diode conduction setting to test silicon devices.  The higher
voltage found on some older VOM's can damage some LED's by exceeding their
reverse breakdown ratings.  I have found that on many meters set on a 10K
scale, LED's show a slight conduction in one direction and virtually none in
the other.  This has usually been adequate to determine their polarity.  Often
this conduction is enhanced by exposing the LED to a bright light.

 -----------------
|  ___  ________  |
| |  / /        | |  Barry L. Ornitz       UUCP:...!rochester!kodak!ornitz
| | / /         | |  Eastman Kodak Company
| |< < K O D A K| |  Eastman Chemicals Division Research Laboratories
| | \ \         | |  P. O. Box 1972
| |__\ \________| |  Kingsport, TN  37662       615/229-4904
|                 |
 -----------------

dje@datacube.UUCP (04/01/87)

I generally mistrust  LED markings;  a disease  I picked  up from too
many Poly-Packs (remember them?)  purchases.   To  check polarity and
operation at the same time, I use a 330 Ohm resistor in series hooked
to a 5V supply (20 Ma).  Proper polarity is indicated by the LED on.

				Dave Erickson
------------------------
Datacube Inc. 4 Dearborn Rd. Peabody, Ma 01960 	617-535-6644
------------------------
[ihnp4 | mirror]!datacube!dje

mouse@mcgill-vision.UUCP (04/02/87)

In article <801@cooper.UUCP>, gene@cooper.UUCP (Gene from EK Enterprises) writes:
> In article <3972@fritz.UUCP>, dennisg@fritz.UUCP (Dennis Griesser) writes:
>> ... until I found out that the data printed on the back of the
>> blister pack gave the WRONG PIN-OUT FOR THE IR LED!

> What I do in most cases is not to trust such things like "short lead
> is the cathode, long lead is the anode" or any pictures of the case.
> Unless the LED is in a mondo-strango case, look through the plastic
> and match the leads with this drawing:

> [drawing]

Or you could always break down and use a dc ohmmeter....there are very
few (probably none in working order) ohmmeters which will put out
enough current to fry the LED, and similarly few which will put out
enough voltage to fry it when reverse-biased.

					der Mouse

Smart mailers: mouse@mcgill-vision.uucp
USA: {ihnp4,decvax,akgua,utzoo,etc}!utcsri!musocs!mcgill-vision!mouse
     think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse
ARPAnet: think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse@harvard.harvard.edu

zabetia@tiger.UUCP (04/04/87)

In article <100500005@datacube> dje@datacube.UUCP writes:

>I generally mistrust  LED markings;  a disease  I picked  up from too
>many Poly-Packs (remember them?)  purchases.   To  check polarity and
>operation at the same time, I use a 330 Ohm resistor in series hooked
>to a 5V supply (20 Ma).  Proper polarity is indicated by the LED on.
>
>				Dave Erickson

Not if it's an Infrared LED.  Unless your eyes were made differently.

Try this:  +5v ------\/\/\/\------>|--------- 0v
		  220ohms    Normal LED

The above circuit is set up.  The LED lights up.  Now take an LED that you are
unsure of and put it in parallel with the first one.  If the first on goes out
or is dimmed, then chances are that the IR LED is emitting.  Otherwise turn the
test LED and try again.

Mahboud Zabetian		allegra! --\	zabetia@tiger.princeton.edu
232 Pyne Hall			mhuxi! -----\		(609) 452-2285
Princeton University		seismo! -----\		(609) 734-0246
Princeton, NJ 08544		attunix! ------ princeton!zabetia
--

dennisg@fritz.UUCP (04/04/87)

In article <100500005@datacube> dje@datacube.UUCP writes:
>I generally mistrust  LED markings;  a disease  I picked  up from too
>many Poly-Packs (remember them?)  purchases.   To  check polarity and
>operation at the same time, I use a 330 Ohm resistor in series hooked
>to a 5V supply (20 Ma).  Proper polarity is indicated by the LED on.

Except that the LED in question was IR.  Even when I got it connected
properly, there was no emission that I could see.

But I wasn't asking about how to find the correct polarity.  No problem
there.  I was merely lamenting the fact that a large company like
Radio Shack can sell thousands of IR LEDs (with backwards data sheets)
to unsuspecting customers.