[sci.electronics] Belts, clutches, and friction wheels

fish@ihlpa.UUCP (04/01/87)

I just got done working on a tape deck that had a broken drive belt. I
was lucky enough to find something in my junk box that worked all right,
but this problem comes up often enough that I'd like to know how one
goes about finding these things.  Most consumer electronics companies
disown their products after the warranty expires, so they're no help.

I remember seeing years ago an article or ad in one of the trade mags
about a place that specializes in such things as turntable drive belts,
tape deck drive belts, clutches, friction wheels, that sort of thing.
Anybody out there know what I'm talking about?  I'd sure like to find
an outfit that supplies these things.
--
 __
/  \				Bob Fishell

hans@umd5.UUCP (04/08/87)

In article <3483@ihlpa.ATT.COM> fish@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Bob Fishell) writes:

>I just got done working on a tape deck that had a broken drive belt. I
>was lucky enough to find something in my junk box that worked all right,
>but this problem comes up often enough that I'd like to know how one
>goes about finding these things.  Most consumer electronics companies
>disown their products after the warranty expires, so they're no help.

Fordham Electronics used to sell assortments of such things.  I don't have
a current catalog handy to check if they still have them.

jeff@upas.UUCP (04/19/87)

In article <3483@ihlpa.ATT.COM> fish@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Bob Fishell) writes:

>I just got done working on a tape deck that had a broken drive belt. I
>was lucky enough to find something in my junk box that worked all right,
>but this problem comes up often enough that I'd like to know how one
>goes about finding these things.  Most consumer electronics companies
>disown their products after the warranty expires, so they're no help.

     When I used to be a stereo repair technician, I did a lot of business
with a company called Consolidated Electronics Inc.  They have a VERY large
inventory of stuff with good prices.  The service is quite good as well.
I used to order stuff like audio output ic's, drive belts, turntable
cartridges, etc...
     Call the number below.  Ask for a catalog (this is free).
You might want to make them assume you're a business so they're more
inclined to be your supplier.

     As for the parts like Pulleys, friction wheels, etc... These
parts are very often manufacturer specific.  If you cant find it
from CEI, then you are best off ordering it from the manufacturer.
This is sometimes easy, and other times very difficult.  Depends on
the company and the part you need...

     Consolidated Electronics Inc.  (CEI)
     705 Watervliet Ave.
     Dayton, Ohio  45420
     513-252-5662
(If you open an accout with them, they give you their 800 number)

     -Jeff

uucp: seismo!nbires!isis!scicom!upas!jeff