[sci.electronics] Power Factor Controller

davidw@lpi.UUCP (David Weisman) (04/24/87)

How do power factor controllers work?  What types of devices/motors
are they suitable for, and what are their typical payback periods
for things like refrigerators??

Dave W.

> How do power factor controllers work?  What types of devices/motors
> are they suitable for, and what are their typical payback periods
> for things like refrigerators??

I'm not up on motors very much, but here goes...  As I understand it, the
only situation power-factor controllers help with is motors that run for
substantial periods at less than full power.  Things like refrigerators,
which vary their output by cycling on and off rather than by running at
lower output continuously, don't benefit at all.  My impression is that
power-factor controllers are really of very limited use to consumers,
since few motorized consumer products run at partial power for long.
--
"If you want PL/I, you know       Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
where to find it." -- DMR         {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry

jans@stalker.gwd.tek.com (Jan Steinman) (05/04/87)

In article <7988@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>> What types of devices/motors are (power factor controllers) suitable for...
>

>.. the only situation power-factor controllers help with is motors that run
>for substantial periods at less than full power.  Things like refrigerators,
>which vary their output by cycling on and off rather than by running at lower
>output continuously, don't benefit at all.  My impression is that power-factor
>controllers are really of very limited use to consumers, since few motorized
>consumer products run at partial power for long.

A substantial portion of a "continuous duty" motor's capacitiy is used for
starting it.  Motors that must start at full load still present some reactance
to the line.

My experience is that PFC's can save 8% to 15% on older refrigerators and
freezers, but late model ones have PFC's built into theier compressor motors.
A refrigerator that burns $100 a year (not uncommon in high-rate areas, or with
older motors) can then payback a $29.95 PFC in as little as two years.

Henry's right, though.  Where they really payback are on variable-load devices.
Power tools and washing machines com immediately to mind.  I've seen older
washers save 30%.  A table saw or drill press runs at nearly 50% without load.

My dad sells PFC's, and I've got several in use.

:::::: Software  Productivity  Technologies   ---   Smalltalk   Project ::::::
:::::: Jan Steinman N7JDB	Box 1000, MS 60-405	(w)503/685-2956 ::::::
:::::: tektronix!tekecs!jans	Wilsonville, OR 97070	(h)503/657-7703 ::::::

alab@ur-tut.UUCP (Daniel F. Luna) (05/08/87)

In article <7988@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:

>I'm not up on motors very much, but here goes...  As I understand it, the
>only situation power-factor controllers help with is motors that run for
>substantial periods at less than full power.  Things like refrigerators,
>which vary their output by cycling on and off rather than by running at
>lower output continuously, don't benefit at all.  My impression is that
>power-factor controllers are really of very limited use to consumers,
>since few motorized consumer products run at partial power for long.
  Power factor actually refers to "reactive power" on systems.
Power factor is related to the phase difference between voltage and current
through (usually) inductive devices, like motors.  A capacitor will, if sized
and placed correctly, correct the power factor.  Power companies are unhappy
when the power factor falls below 1.  This leads to loss in transmission
ability.
   Power factor is usually not a problem for small users, like residences.
It is more a problem with industrial locations, where most of the power is
operating "reactive" loads, like motors and transformers.  (Transformers are
in florescent lights, too.)  Traditionally, power companies have capacitor
banks on poles along the distribution path to offset the power factors of
the reactive loads.  Many power utilities require that the customer fix his
power factor if it falls below a certain point, and I think that here it is
0.8 .
   Things like incandescant lamps have power factor of 1.  Also toasters,
electric stoves, etc.

   Your question brings to mind another device which was put on the market
a while back.  It does not control power factor, but "duty cycle".  It's
purpose was to cut "demand" costs in places by having air-conditioners, etc.
run only part of the time.  The problem I have with this is that it
DRASTICALLY shortens the life of the compressor, because it does not let it
warm up correctly, keep its fluids separate, etc., and also because the starting
torque on the motor shortens the life of the motor each time it starts.
Compressors like to "wind down"  before restarting, typically a lot longer than
these machines would allow.
   Demand is how the power company recovers costs for having all that equipment
running at once (and built, for that matter).  It again usually applies to only
industrial customers, but doesn't have to.  The idea is that they measure how
much power used for a 15 minute period.  The highest measurement for the month
is called the demand power. Rates of 6 DOLLARS per kwh are common for the
demand power.
   The power companies could provide all the power you needed from fewer
generators if you didn't want it all at once (along with the rest of the
world).  So, since they have to build, man, operate, maintain, etc. these
extra generators, they are compelled to recoup these costs.  It also serves
as a deterrent to wanton power consumption. -Hence the device above.

  (but i digress...)

   The idea of keeping the demand level down is OK, but using this brute-
force method simply shifts costs from the energy column to the repair column, and
multiplies it in the process.
'nuff said.

--
Daniel F. Luna