[sci.electronics] Power System Frequency Keeping

white@cogito.dec.com (Robert V. White MLO6A-3/T96 223-7647) (05/09/87)

> Subject: Re: Syncronizing Generators

>	A good question to ask is "with all these random (albeit
>synchronized) generators all over the place, what's to keep the grid
>frequency from drifting?"  The answer is that somewhere on the grid,
>somebody is monitoring the line frequency, and comparing it to a standard
>(WWV, probably).

>Roy Smith, {allegra,cmcl2,philabs}!phri!roy

I believe that the monitoring is done by American Power Corporation in
Canton, Ohio using a Cesium time standard.

Bob White
Corporate Power Conversion R&D
Digital Equipment Corporation
Maynard, Massachusetts

In article <9779@decwrl.DEC.COM>, white@cogito.dec.com (Robert V. White MLO6A-3/T96 223-7647) writes:
> >	A good question to ask is "with all these random (albeit
> >synchronized) generators all over the place, what's to keep the grid
> >frequency from drifting?"  The answer is that somewhere on the grid,
> >somebody is monitoring the line frequency, and comparing it to a standard
> >(WWV, probably).
>
> I believe that the monitoring is done by American Power Corporation in
> Canton, Ohio using a Cesium time standard.

	I believe that most power plants also maintain a local frequency
standard, with a long-term deviation recorder.
	I have seen such devices in fossil-fueled plants (I have never been
in a hydro or nuclear plant).  There is a strip-chart recorder which
continuously records +/- deviation from 60 Hz.  In one plant that I saw, the
reference frequency was provided by a Tracor frequency standard with a WWVH
receiver.  There is apparently a certain amount of local power plant
"leeway" in providing frequency compensation to assure long-term 60 Hz
accuracy; i.e., the local plant can operate "off frequency" to a limited
extent (fractions of a Hz) in order to provide compensation, with such off
frequency compensation still not resulting in excessive power loss to the
grid.
	Frequency compensation is usually provided during off-peak hours.
The algorithm is simple: the minus deviation is continuously integrated
and compared with the plus deviation, and once a day during off-peak hours
a compensating deviation is computed to run the plant for a given period of
time at a given frequency.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rocksanne|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|seismo|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}    "Have you hugged your cat today?"