[sci.electronics] Converting Fluorescent Lights

commgrp@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (05/13/87)

In article <5924@shemp.UCLA.EDU>, mitch@CS.UCLA.EDU writes:
> I'm building a cabin in a remote area in Arizona, and I
> plan to use 12-volt dc power for lighting.
>
> Can anybody tell me how to convert standard shop-lite
> florescent fixtures for this application?  Is it practical
> to do this myself, or should I just pay the $80+ for
> the commercial variety?

12-volt  DC  fluorescent light fixtures for recreational vehicles  are
available from Warshawsky/JC Whitney auto parts of Chicago,  and  from
other  suppliers  of  RV accessories.   These  are  quite  inexpensive
(cheaper to buy than build) however, there are some disadvantages:

1)   Their internal construction is VERY crude.

2)   Some  types  produce a DC component (see below) which causes  one
     end  of  the  fluorescent tubes to blacken.  The  effect  can  be
     minimized by periodically rotating the tubes end-for-end.

3)   They   produce   radio-frequency   interference   which   totally
     obliterates AM radio reception.   (Many 12vdc-to-115vac inverters
     also produce RFI.)

4)   Most  operate at ultrasonic frequencies but the  transformers  in
     some types emit obnoxious squealing noises.
-...-

Historical  note:   Gas-discharge lamps were used for lighting in  the
19th Century.   Jules Verne equipped his intrepid cavers with electric
"Ruhmkorff"  lamps  in  JOURNEY   TO  THE  CENTER  OF  THE  EARTH,  an
adventure  which begins in 1863,  well before Edison's 1879 lightbulb.
After a lengthy search,  I found a reference to Ruhmkorff in A HISTORY
OF ELECTRICITY AND MAGNETISM by Herbert W. Meyer (MIT Press, 1971.

JOURNEY  was  first  published  in  Paris  in  1864,   followed  by  a
beautifully illustrated edition in 1867.  The description of the lamps
has  changed and lost vital details in English editions (as have other
aspects of the novel, especially in the movie version).  The following
translation by Indiana University history professor B.  G.  Martin  is
from  the list of cave gear and scientific equipment on page 58 of the
1867 French edition:

 ...Two Ruhmkorf apparatus which, by means of electric current, give a
very portable light, sure and little encumbrance.

   footnote:

     The  Ruhmkorf  apparatus consists of a Bunsen  battery  which  is
     activated  by  potassium  bichromate  and has  no  odor,  and  an
     induction  coil  which  produces electricity  from  the  battery,
     connected  to  a special lantern in which is found  a  serpentine
     glass,  exhausted  and containing a residue of carbon dioxide  or
     nitrogen  gas.   When the apparatus operates,  this  gas  becomes
     luminous,  producing a continuous whitish light.  The battery and
     coil  are held in a leather bag which the adventurer carries over
     the shoulder.   The lantern,  placed outside,  very  sufficiently
     illuminates the profoundest darkness, and permits the adventurer,
     without   fear  of  explosion,   in  the  presence  of  extremely
     inflammable  gasses,  and  is  not extinguished  even  under  the
     deepest water.  M.  Ruhmkorf is a learned and able physicist. His
     great discovery is the induction coil which permits production of
     high-voltage  electricity.   In 1864,  he received the  five-year
     prize  of  50,000  francs  which France  reserves  for  the  most
     ingenious application of electricity.

Verne spelled the name with one f.

"Ruhmkorff  coil"  is an archaic term (actually,  a brand name  become
generic)  for  what Americans commonly call "Ford  coils,"  i.e.,  dc-
powered high-voltage transformers with vibrating  interrupters,  small
versions  of which were used for ignition in Model-T Ford cars.   Ford
coils  are  still available from JC Whitney for about $35.

Ruhmkorff  coils  were  "Hi-tech" in Verne's time,  a  golden  age  of
learning  in France during which fundamental laws of electricity  were
discovered.   Studies  of electric gas-discharge phenomena were in the
forefront of mid-19th-century science.  A succession of  breakthroughs
ensued  from investigations of light produced by static electricity in
the vacuum above the mercury column of a barometer.   This fascinating
"quest  for  fire"  is  chronicled  in the  PBS  TV  series  and  book
CONNECTIONS by James Burke.

Meyer writes,  "H.  D. Ruhmkorff of Paris began making induction coils
about 1851.  He was familiar with the work of...others who had already
produced powerful coils...   Ruhmkorff was an excellent craftsman, and
made  coils  of  great refinement and excellence,  so  that  the  term
Ruhmkorff coil was synonymous with induction coil for many years.   In
order  to  overcome the difficulty  of  internal  sparking,  Ruhmkorff
divided the secondary winding into sections, which were well insulated
from each other and from the primary winding."

"Ruhmkorff...coils were probably the finest made anywhere.  He engaged
in  their  manufacture  on  a  large scale  and  was  therefore  often
considered as the inventor of the induction coil.   One of his largest
coils made in 1867 gave sparks of 40 centimeters, or about 16 inches."

"Theoretically,  the  discharge from an induction coil should  be  AC.
Actually,  however,  the  secondary voltage is so much higher when the
circuit  is broken by the interrupter than when it is closed that  the
secondary output is almost unidirectional."

Induction  coils were instrumental to the discoveries of cathode  rays
by William Crookes (1860's),  X-rays by W.  K. Roentgen (1895), and to
the work of Tesla,  Hertz and other radio pioneers.  They were used in
spark-gap radio transmitters well into the 20th century.

Meyer  does  not mention Ruhmkorff lamps,  but reports  that  Geissler
tubes  were  produced  in great numbers around the  mid-19th  century.
These partially-evacuated tubes,  often of convoluted shape, contained
mercury  or  various rare gasses,  and sometimes were  made  of  glass
containing fluorescent metallic salts, or had double walls filled with
fluorescent  liquid.   Geissler  tubes powered by induction coils  are
still  among  the most spectacular  physics-classroom  demonstrations.
They also appear as props in old Flash Gordon and Frankenstein movies.

Bunsen batteries, widely used in the 19th century, had carbon and zinc
electrodes  and  dilute  sulphuric  acid  electrolyte.  A  porous  cup
surrounding the carbon contained chromic acid depolarizing agent.

The  lamps  in the 1958 MGM movie were powered by  hand  cranks.   The
wonderful  windup  lamps were waterproof,  but failed  when  salt  got
inside them and "corroded the induction coils."

Although they have moving parts,  Ruhmkorff coils aren't  mechanically
powered,  and require batteries.   A related device,  the magneto,  IS
mechanically   driven.   Spring-powered   magnetos  were  within   the
technological  capabilities of  Verne's day,  and would have  been  an
attractive  alternative to the expensive and primitive batteries  then
available.  Gas-discharge lamps powered by induction coils or magnetos
would probably have been inefficient light sources,  but desirable for
their  then-unique  advantages over  open-flame  lights.   Verne  also
mentions  Ruhmkorff  lamps used underwater and aboard the Nautilus  in
20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA (1870).

19th-century   gas-discharge  lamps  survive  today  as  neon   signs.
Although   Ruhmkorff  lamps  were  elcipsed  by  incandescent   bulbs,
fluorescent  technology has steadily advanced.  We may say that  Verne
correctly   predicted  that  electric  fluorescent  lights  would   be
ubiquitous in the future world except,  ironically,  among cavers  and
divers.