[sci.electronics] Noise-cancelling microphone

mark@mips.UUCP (05/20/87)

I recently read (in Aviation Week & Space Technology) an article about
a noise-cancellation system for military pilots' helmets.  Seems that
military cockpits are _very_ noisy, with helicopter blades whooshing,
fighter engines roaring, etc, so the pilot can barely hear his/her radio.

The new system puts a microphone in each earcup, and uses the resulting
signal to measure the "error" at the pilot's ear [error == signal at ear
minus signal from radio] and thus cancel much of the ambient noise
(about 30 dB as I recall).  So the pilot hears the radio but not the
loud powerplant.  Pretty cool.

If memory serves, the whole system is contained in a cigarette-pack sized
box that goes in the pilot's pocket (so the aircraft isn't modified, just
the helmet).  Noise cancellation is done with digital circuitry.

Now, a few questions:
 1.  Has anybody out there experimented with this sort of thing?  How
     well did it work?

 2.  Could a hobbyist-grade version be built on the cheap, using e.g.
     analog circuits for the signal processing?  Or is the major cost
     the modified earpieces with mikes?

 3.  Can the idea be used "backward" to make a microphone which cancels
     ambient cockpit noise and only picks up the pilot's voice?  For
     example, have a 2nd mike that faces _away_ from the pilot, and use
     this signal as an approximation of the "error" (ambient noise).
     Or is this already available per Scott Dorsey's recommendation of
     the "Telex noise-cancelling element"?

Regards,
--
-Mark Johnson	**DISCLAIMER: The opinions above are personal.**  Hi Max!
UUCP: 	{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!mark   TEL: 408-720-1700 x208

medin@cod.UUCP (Ted Medin) (05/20/87)

 Noise cancelling microphones have been around for a long time. I use one
regularly in light planes. I have been flying since 77 or so and they were
in use then.
                                            Ted

marcum@nescorna.UUCP (05/20/87)

In <1027@mips.UUCP> mark@mips.UUCP (Mark G. Johnson) wrote:
> ...noise-cancellation system for military pilots' helmets....
> The new system puts a microphone in each earcup, and uses the resulting
> signal to measure the "error" at the pilot's ear [error == signal at ear
> minus signal from radio] and thus cancel much of the ambient noise
> (about 30 dB as I recall)....

I read about an experimental system Bose (yes, the speaker folks) was
building, in, I think, _Aviation Consumer_.  It was an active noise-
cancelling system, much as Mark describes.  It is apparently VERY
comfortable.  Also, even without the magic black box the headset did
an excellent job of noise attenuation.

Alan M. Marcum				Sun Microsystems, Technical Consulting
marcum@nescorna.Sun.COM			Mountain View, California

dralle@lll-lcc.aRpA (Sir Matthew G. Dralle) (05/20/87)

>  Noise cancelling microphones have been around for a long time. I use one
> regularly in light planes. I have been flying since 77 or so and they were
> in use then.

   The idea behind the noise cancelling mic is really no big deal.  In
aircraft handheld mics and in the headphone style boom mics there are two
"channels" to allow sound to enter.  One channel in in the front where you
would talk into, and the other is in the BACK of the mic.  What happens is
noise enters from the front *AND* the from the back.  The two signals then
subtract in effect because both are trying to vibrate the element together,
but from different sides.  When you talk into the mic, your sound is applied to
one side of the mic only, and has no opposite vibration to subtract from it.

   Obviously, this system does not work %100, so the mic element is frequency
bandwidth is limited to the vocal spectrum only (aprx 200-5000Hz).  With the
combination of the two cancelling systems, the little jobbers are fairly
good at noise cancellation -- at least *I'M* imppressed! :-)

						Matt Dralle

						Mild Mannered Tech By Day...
					     ...Pilot By Weekend.

ahv@masscomp.UUCP (Tony Verhulst) (05/21/87)

 In article <1027@mips.UUCP> mark@mips.UUCP (Mark G. Johnson) writes:
 >I recently read (in Aviation Week & Space Technology) an article about
 >a noise-cancellation system for military pilots' helmets.  Seems that
 >The new system puts a microphone in each earcup, and uses the resulting
 >signal to measure the "error" at the pilot's ear [error == signal at ear
 >minus signal from radio] and thus cancel much of the ambient noise
 >(about 30 dB as I recall).  So the pilot hears the radio but not the
 >loud powerplant.  Pretty cool.

I understand that such a system was used on the Voyager flight and was
supposed to have prevented the crew from suffering permanent hearing
impairment during their flight.

I don't know if it worked as advertised or if it is commercially available.

kludge@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (Scott Dorsey) (05/21/87)

In article <689@cod.UUCP> medin@cod.nosc.mil.UUCP (Ted Medin) writes:
> Noise cancelling microphones have been around for a long time. I use one
>regularly in light planes. I have been flying since 77 or so and they were
>in use then.

     I have an old T25 noise cancelling mike which is labelled "AUG 1940"
inside.  It came free with a BCC-525 that I got at a hamfest.

--
Scott Dorsey   Kaptain_Kludge
ICS Programming Lab (Where old terminals go to die),  Rich 110,

jpexg@mit-hermes.AI.MIT.EDU (John Purbrick) (05/22/87)

Regarding noise-cancelling speakers and mikes, there was an article in the
British magazine "New Scientist" a while back about the use of "anti-noise"
near large sources of acoustic noise like stationary gas turbine installations.
The idea was to put a microphone some way from the device and drive a speaker
adjacent to the device; an electronic system would try to null out the
resultant signal as measured at the mike. As I recall the system was claimed
to work fairly well, but I don't recall the db figures or how they solved
the obvious problem of delay from the noise sources to the mike.

davec@mhuxu.UUCP (Dave Caswell) (05/22/87)

In article <1027@mips.UUCP>, mark@mips.UUCP writes:
> I recently read (in Aviation Week & Space Technology) an article about
> a noise-cancellation system for military pilots' helmets.  Seems that
> military cockpits are _very_ noisy, with helicopter blades whooshing,
> fighter engines roaring, etc, so the pilot can barely hear his/her radio.
>
> The new system puts a microphone in each earcup, and uses the resulting
> signal to measure the "error" at the pilot's ear [error == signal at ear
> minus signal from radio] and thus cancel much of the ambient noise
> (about 30 dB as I recall).  So the pilot hears the radio but not the
> loud powerplant.  Pretty cool.
>
> Now, a few questions:
>  1.  Has anybody out there experimented with this sort of thing?  How
>      well did it work?

	I got a demonstration of these things in an early prototype
version a couple of years ago.  The difference between ordinary tight
fitting headphones and these things was really dramatic.  Apparantly
sounds below a certian frequency  just aren't stopped by the passive
systems.  Turning on the active electronics eliminated the rumble noises
as well as the hisses and pop's.

	Bose donated a set of these things to the Voyager flight.  Rutan
was really skeptical until he tried them out once.

	If anyone is interested e-mail me and I'll try and get the
current spec's for them.

    --->Dave Caswell
	{allegra|ihnp4|...}!mhuxu!davec
		-or-
  	davec@borax.lcs.mit.edu

--
    --->Dave Caswell
	{allegra|ihnp4|...}!mhuxu!davec

jackg@tekirl.TEK.COM (Jack Gjovaag) (05/22/87)

In article <1027@mips.UUCP> mark@mips.UUCP (Mark G. Johnson) writes:
>I recently read (in Aviation Week & Space Technology) an article about
>a noise-cancellation system for military pilots' helmets.
> .......stuff deleted.......
> 3.  Can the idea be used "backward" to make a microphone which cancels
>     ambient cockpit noise and only picks up the pilot's voice?  For
>     example, have a 2nd mike that faces _away_ from the pilot, and use
>     this signal as an approximation of the "error" (ambient noise).
>     Or is this already available per Scott Dorsey's recommendation of
>     the "Telex noise-cancelling element"?
Almost all aircraft boom mikes do this already.  The microphone
"listens" through two opposed ports.  One port is closest to the
pilot's mouth and gets most of the voice energy.  Both ports (in theory)
hear ambient noise equally and cancel it.  Listen to the transmissions
from other airplanes.  You never hear engine noise, only the pilot's
voice.

To determine the effectiveness of this, I ran a little experiment
where I made a transmission to a friend in another aircraft while
my outer marker beacon was beeping at full volume.  He could NOT
hear the beacon but could hear my voice (I was speaking quietly)
perfectly.

As an historical note, one early solution to the cockpit noise
problem in combat aircraft was a "throat mike".  It strapped around
the neck with the microphone near the voice box.  It was pretty well
masked from all the engine and airframe noises but it sure did
lousy things as far as speech intelligibility because it left out
a lot of speech sounds that are made in the mouth without the
vocal cords.

  Jack Gjovaag
  Tek Labs

brent@terra.UUCP (05/22/87)

In article <2849@mit-hermes.AI.MIT.EDU>, jpexg@mit-hermes.AI.MIT.EDU (John Purbrick) writes:

> Regarding noise-cancelling speakers and mikes, there was an article in the
> British magazine "New Scientist" a while back about the use of "anti-noise"
> near large sources of acoustic noise like stationary gas turbine installations.
> The idea was to put a microphone some way from the device and drive a speaker
> adjacent to the device; an electronic system would try to null out the
> resultant signal as measured at the mike. As I recall the system was claimed
> to work fairly well, but I don't recall the db figures or how they solved
> the obvious problem of delay from the noise sources to the mike.

Sounds like New Scientist is putting one over you.  It's
certainly not this easy (possible ?) to do this in an
open acoustic field.  It reminds me of an Aurthur C. Clarke
story in "Tales of the White Hart" where someone invented one
of these sound-nulling gadgets and had fun with it.

I remember some years ago reading a similar article in
New Scientist about an optical element that had just been
invented for large telescopes that corrected images that
lay at the extremes of the telecopes' field.

The developers of this element were reported to be very
excited at the commercial possibilities of the element
when applied to corrective lenses for people.  The human
eye can resolve detail sharply over a small area at the
center of the visual field.  The new element would correct
off-axis images so that the high visual acuity would extend
over the whole visual field.  The amount of eye movement
in scanning an extended image would be greatly reduced.
As an example they suggested that inspection of posted train
timetables would be greatly facilitated.

I've seen articles in similar vein in Scientific American.
Was it the April 1st issue ?

Made in New Zealand -->  Brent Callaghan  @ Sun Microsystems
			 uucp: sun!bcallaghan
			 phone: (415) 691 6188

randys@mipon3.intel.com (Randy Steck) (05/23/87)

In article <2849@mit-hermes.AI.MIT.EDU> jpexg@mit-hermes.AI.MIT.EDU (John Purbrick) writes:

>Regarding noise-cancelling speakers and mikes, there was an article in the
>British magazine "New Scientist" a while back about the use of "anti-noise"
>near large sources of acoustic noise like stationary gas turbine installations.
>The idea was to put a microphone some way from the device and drive a speaker
>adjacent to the device; an electronic system would try to null out the
>resultant signal as measured at the mike. As I recall the system was claimed
>to work fairly well, but I don't recall the db figures or how they solved
>the obvious problem of delay from the noise sources to the mike.

The algorithm of adaptive signal processing apparently used in this system
was invented by Widrow of Stanford.  I audited a class he taught on the
subject and he suggested that one of the students try to build something
similar to the above for a class project.  He wanted to call it a "Cone of
Silence" (I hope it works better than Maxwell Smart's!).

However, there seems to be a small problem with the application of such a
system.  It seems to be possible to cancel noise at the microphone if the
source of the noise is reasonably periodic.  The problem comes in when a
person moves away from the microphone since the hearer may no longer be in
the "trough" of the waveform, but at a "peak".  If the noise was large
enough to cancel in the first place, then the resultant additive component
would probably blow a person's ears out.  This is minimized by putting the
speaker near the device, but the area near the device would have many
"peak" regions.

And if the microphone moves (maybe being worn by someone?) the adaptive
filter has to adjust itself.  This may take some time depending on the
algorithm used, so the user better not move too fast.

And if that weren't bad enough, what about the use of more than one
microphone?  An additive peak will likely result somewhere.  It seems that
the system described in this mail would be limited to cancelling noise for
1 or 2 people in a stationary position for long periods of time.

But, it's really interesting technology!  Makes for alot of fun in the lab,
too.

-- Randy Steck
   Intel Corp.       ...intelca!mipos3!omepd!randys

iwm@doc.ic.ac.uk (Ian W Moor) (05/23/87)

In article <19549@sun.uucp> brent%terra@Sun.COM (Brent Callaghan) writes:
>> British magazine "New Scientist" a while back about the use of "anti-noise"
>Sounds like New Scientist is putting one over you.  It's
>Was it the April 1st issue ?

New Scientist usually has one column on the back page about the inventions
of Deadelaus (sp?) - these are ingenious and often very plausible but not
intended seriously although some do turn out to be viable. It's probable that
this is what you read.

--
Ian W Moor
  UUCP: seismo!mcvax!ukc!icdoc!iwm

 Department of Computing   Whereat a great and far-off voice was heard, saying,
 Imperial College.         Poop-poop-poopy, and it was even so; and the days
 180 Queensgate            of Poopy Panda were long in the land.
 London SW7 Uk.

dsp@oakhill.UUCP (DSP Account) (05/24/87)

the very interesting application referenced below is just one of the
many uses of adaptive digital signal processing which the DSP56200 chip,
a 256 tap cascadable adaptive FIR (finite impulse response) filter(100ns
cycle), from Motorola can provide.  several companies are using the DSP56200
right now to solve this problem.  the DSP56200 has been available since
november 1986.  literature, etc., can be obtained by calling
(512) 440-2030 or you may send mail over the net.  motorola salespeople
can give you the same info.  ask for BR283 and for DSP56200/D.

week before last(today is 5/23), Widrow called us here in austin.  he had
just heard about the chip from one of his former students.  he was very
happy to see Motorola had implemented his LMS (least mean squares) algorithm
in hardware.

>From: mark@mips.UUCP (Mark G. Johnson)
>I recently read (in Aviation Week & Space Technology) an article about
>a noise-cancellation system for military pilots' helmets.  Seems that
>military cockpits are _very_ noisy, with helicopter blades whooshing,
>fighter engines roaring, etc, so the pilot can barely hear his/her radio.

>>From: randys@mipon3.intel.com (Randy Steck)
>>The algorithm of adaptive signal processing apparently used in this system
>>was invented by Widrow of Stanford.  I audited a class he taught on the

Motorola DSP Operation in oak hill, texas
512 440 2030

6062871@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Raj Manandhar) (05/25/87)

In article <19549@sun.uucp>, brent%terra@Sun.COM (Brent Callaghan) writes:

>I remember some years ago reading a similar article in
>New Scientist about an optical element that had just been
>invented for large telescopes that corrected images that
>lay at the extremes of the telescopes' field.... The human
>eye can resolve detail sharply over a small area at the
>center of the visual field.  The new element would correct
>off-axis images so that the high visual acuity would extend
>over the whole visual field.  The amount of eye movement

I'm skeptical because, recalling my high-school biology, the human
eye's resolution is best for images that are focused on the fovea,
a small circle at the center of the retina that has a high density
of light-sensitive (and color-sensitive) cone cells. This is the
area that permits me to see what I am typing. Outside of this area,
the density is lower, so the device won't do much good. (Incidentally,
the fovea doesn't have many rod cells, which are black-and-white
things good for low light, which is why you can see in the dark better
using your peripheral vision).

Raj Manandhar '87  6062871@pucc.bitnet {ihnp4,etc.}!psuvax1!pucc.bitnet!6062871
609/734-7368       417 Edwards Hall, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ  08544

iws@rayssdb.RAY.COM (Ihor W. Slabicky) (05/25/87)

In article <1027@mips.UUCP>, mark@mips.UUCP (Mark G. Johnson) writes:
> I recently read (in Aviation Week & Space Technology) an article about
> a noise-cancellation system for military pilots' helmets.  Seems that
> military cockpits are _very_ noisy, with helicopter blades whooshing,
> fighter engines roaring, etc, so the pilot can barely hear his/her radio.

In the book, Inside The Aquarium, Viktor Suvorov says that the earphones
of tank crews produce a loud click before the actual firing.  This causes
the eardrum to react to the click and not to the sound of the firing of
the tanks cannon.  The click occurs milliseconds before the firing.

unicorn@pnet01.UUCP (05/26/87)

How quickly we decide something technological cannot be done,
because it used to be impractical.  And in these rapid-moving
times too !

I observed the "noise source canceller" in operation on a
"News from Science" blurb on CNN or somesuch a couple of
months ago.  Naturally, you need a whole buncha power, and
the key limitation seems to a requirement for a very high
periodic component in the sampled signal.  Fortunately,
much industrial noise is like this.

As for spacing, sound travels 1116 feet/sec.  Got a tape
measure ?

> > Regarding noise-cancelling speakers and mikes, there was an article in the
> > British magazine "New Scientist" a while back about the use of "anti-noise"
> > near large sources of acoustic noise...
>
> Sounds like New Scientist is putting one over you.  It's
> certainly not this easy (possible ?) to do this in an
> open acoustic field...

No, the idea is for real.  The key is that the speaker is right at the
source, not somewhere out in the acoustic field.  Whether it will ever
work well enough to bother with is not something I'd put bets on, but it
does not appear to be a priori ridiculous.
--
"The average nutritional value    Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
of promises is roughly zero."     {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry

donald@warwick.UUCP (05/26/87)

With regards to anti-noise, I read a very detailed article about it in
"Chartered Mechanical Engineer" (the mag. of the British Institute of
Mechanical Engineers).  The article was by some researchers at Essex
University (are they on the net? anyone like to confirm?) and described
various projects it had been used in.  In fact there research was more
general than anti-noise; it was anti-vibration -- one of their experiments
was with resilient mountings for big diesel engines (like those in ships)
which took the form of hydraulic rams, a bit like active suspension for
cars.

One point which might convince the sceptics, their work was mainly to
do with cancelling cyclic noises (i.e. a diesel engine at constant rpm)
so they could use a computer to predict what the noise would be like based
on what it had been like before.

Hope that casts a bit of light... I read it a loooong time ago.

--
/*
 * Tim Bissell ... the six million donald man ...

bob@pedsgo.UUCP (05/28/87)

In article <537@ubu.warwick.UUCP> donald@warwick.UUCP (Tim Bissell) writes:
>With regards to anti-noise, I read a very detailed article about it in
>"Chartered Mechanical Engineer" (the mag. of the British Institute of

I believe a system like this was used on the Voyager around the world
airplane. I think it was developed by Bose. As I understand it, the
noise within the cockpit would have been unbearable without it, and
was endurable, but not pleasent, with it.

Bob Weiler

kr@ken.UUCP (Ken Robinson) (06/01/87)

In article <2780@pucc.Princeton.EDU> 6062871@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:

>In article <19549@sun.uucp>, brent%terra@Sun.COM (Brent Callaghan) writes:
>
>>I remember some years ago reading a similar article in
>>New Scientist about an optical element that had just been
>>invented for large telescopes that corrected images that
>>lay at the extremes of the telescopes' field.... The human
>>eye can resolve detail sharply over a small area at the
>>center of the visual field.  The new element would correct
>>off-axis images so that the high visual acuity would extend
>>over the whole visual field.  The amount of eye movement
>
>I'm skeptical because, recalling my high-school biology, the human
>eye's resolution is best for images that are focused on the fovea,
>a small circle at the center of the retina that has a high density
>of light-sensitive (and color-sensitive) cone cells. This is the
>area that permits me to see what I am typing. Outside of this area,
>the density is lower, so the device won't do much good.>

In fact large astronomical telescopes are used to record on *film*,
so that your comment on the small angular field of view of the eye,
while true, is not relevant.  Schmidt telescopes do indeed have a
correcting lens before a spherical mirror.  This gives good accuracy
over a very wide field of view.

Ken Robinson                                     kr@uk.ac.rl.vd
Informatics Division
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
Chilton
Didcot Oxon OX11 0QX

ender@mtuxo.UUCP (e.ayanoglu) (06/03/87)

> Regarding noise-cancelling speakers and mikes, there was an article in the
> British magazine "New Scientist" a while back about the use of "anti-noise"
> near large sources of acoustic noise...

This is an application of a well-known method of noise cancellation, the
Least Mean Squares (LMS) algorithm. See, for example,

Widrow et al., ``Adaptive Noise Cancelling: Principles and Applications,''
Proc. IEEE, Vol. 63, pp. 1692-1716, 1975,

or

Widrow and Stearns, ``Adaptive Signal Processing,'' Prentice-Hall,
Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1985.

As pointed by others, the method does not work as well when the noise
spectrum widens.
--
Ender Ayanoglu  	   ..!ihnp4!mtuxo!ender 		 (201) 957-3734

RAJ@pucc.UUCP (06/03/87)

Arrgghh!  Sorry about the previous edition of this followup.  The editor
slipped it onto the net.  I canceled,  but no  doubt some of you already
have received it. Anyway.

In article <429@rlvd.UUCP>, kr@ken.UUCP (Ken Robinson) writes:
>In article <2780@pucc.Princeton.EDU> 6062871@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
[regarding a lens that would improve the off-axis resolution of
telescopes and the human eye]
>>I'm skeptical because... the human eye's resolution is best for images
>>that are focused on the fovea, a small circle at the center of the
>>retina that has a high density of... cone cells. Outside of this area,
>>the density is lower, so the device won't do much good.
>In fact large astronomical telescopes are used to record on *film*,
>so that your comment on the small angular field of view of the eye,
>while true, is not relevant.  Schmidt telescopes do indeed have a

This is what I  get for quoting too little of the  original article in my
posting (from  account 6062871).   Your point  about telescopes  is quite
correct,  but the speculation was  about correcting the peripheral vision
of an  otherwise unaided human  eye,  in which  case I think  my original
objection stands.
   Interesting note on this,  recalled from  a Scientific American from a
year or  so ago:  to  improve the  realism of aircraft  flight simulators
without overtaxing  the computer driving  the simulator,  they  track the
pilot's eye,  and  a detailed picture is projected only  in the direction
the pilot  happens to  be looking in.   The rest of  the picture  is left
rough,   because the  pilot can  only  see that  with his  low-resolution
peripheral vision.  I think these are experimental simulators for fighter
pilots.