[sci.electronics] info on clocks using battery backups

nf165636@cisunx.UUCP (meyers m) (06/16/87)

How do the clocks (and clock radios) that run on main power (110/60 Hz)
count the time ? Especially those that use battery backups. In this case
do they use a quartz crystal ? Does that mean that these can be used
on 110/50 Hz or any other frequency ? Any info will be appreciated.

--
Michael Meyers  {allegra,bellcore,cadre,ihnp4}!pitt!cissunx!nf165636 UUCP
Comp & Inf. Systems                            cisunx!nf165636@pitt.CSNET

gnome@oliveb.UUCP (Gary) (06/17/87)

in article <3622@cisunx.UUCP>, nf165636@cisunx.UUCP (meyers     m) says:
> How do the clocks (and clock radios) that run on main power (110/60 Hz)
> count the time ? Especially those that use battery backups. In this case
> do they use a quartz crystal ? Does that mean that these can be used
> on 110/50 Hz or any other frequency ? Any info will be appreciated.

AC driven clocks generally get their clock timing from dividing-down
the 60Hz to the 1Hz seconds-clock.  Some clocks have a little circuit
that allows the clock to ride-out short power failures.  Often it is
a cheap, low accuracy oscillator that "locks" to the 60Hz (when available)
and self oscillates at about 60Hz when the line power is gone.

Most crystal driven clocks are battery-only.  Note, I said most.
So, in general, if it plugs into the wall, it won't work too well
in other countries with 50 hz.  (Some have a switch for 50/60Hz, though).

Gary

smk@sfsup.UUCP (06/18/87)

In article <3622@cisunx.UUCP>, nf165636@cisunx.UUCP writes:

> How do the clocks (and clock radios) that run on main power (110/60 Hz)
> count the time ? Especially those that use battery backups. In this case
> do they use a quartz crystal ? Does that mean that these can be used
> on 110/50 Hz or any other frequency ? Any info will be appreciated.
>
> --

I thought that the battery backup in my alarm clock would make it a lot
easier to take on vacation; after all, all I would have to do is plug
it in, right?

What I did find out was that any similarity between the actual time and
the clock's time was purely coincidental.

rmrin@inuxh.UUCP (06/19/87)

> How do the clocks (and clock radios) that run on main power (110/60 Hz)
> count the time ? Especially those that use battery backups. In this case
> do they use a quartz crystal ? Does that mean that these can be used
> on 110/50 Hz or any other frequency ? Any info will be appreciated.

The ones I am familiar with count the cycles of the power line.  When
they go into the backup mode an internal oscillator takes over which
can be quite inaccurate.  One of mine loses a couple of minutes an
hour in the backup mode.  I would suggest checking them after a fairly
long power failure.

fish@ihlpa.UUCP (06/20/87)

In article <3622@cisunx.UUCP>, nf165636@cisunx.UUCP writes:

> How do the clocks (and clock radios) that run on main power (110/60 Hz)
> count the time ? Especially those that use battery backups. In this case
> do they use a quartz crystal ? Does that mean that these can be used
> on 110/50 Hz or any other frequency ? Any info will be appreciated.

Most cheap digital clocks and clock radios with battery backup use the
line frequency as a primary time base, and have an internal oscillator
as the backup.  The oscillator is not crystal-controlled, and will drift
considerably, causing the clock to lose or gain several minutes in a day.
However, they are usually accurate enough to maintain the correct time
during brief power outages.
--
 __
/  \				Bob Fishell