[sci.electronics] Query: 8-pin mini-DIN

tjk@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Thomas Krueger) (06/16/87)

From whitney@think.com Tue Jun 16 09:40:17 1987
To: Thomas Krueger <tjk@csd4.milw.wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: Query: 8-pin mini-DIN
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 87 10:39:29 EDT

-> Can you send me the adress?

ok,

KGB Enterprises
2100 De La Cruz Blvd.
Santa Clara, CA 95050
(408)-727-1511

I have a bit of a problem here with pn. I can't send anything out.
Could you please post this address? I'm being flooded with requests,
and it's a pain trying to answer to everyone. Thanks.

About those plugs, I looked at one at the Macworld expo last fall, and
they look *extremly* hard to work with. They're $3.50 each, and cables
are about $17.00. If you can help it, avoid doing the work yourself, and
ask them to make a cable for you.

	Dave

Thomas Krueger					Home adress:
UWM Computing Services - Electronics Shop	3400 N. Maryland Ave. #1979
3200 N. Cramer St - EMS W280			Milwaukee WI 53211-2953
Milwaukee Wisconsin 53211			work phone: (414) 963 5172

 {seismo|nike|ucbvax|harvard|rutgers!ihnp4}!uwvax!uwmcsd1!uwmcsd4!tjk
		     or tjk@csd4.milw.wisc.edu

fmr@cwi.nl (Frank Rahmani) (06/21/87)

In article <2284@uwmcsd1.UUCP>, tjk@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Thomas Krueger) writes:
> About those plugs, I looked at one at the Macworld expo last fall, and
> they look *extremly* hard to work with. They're $3.50 each, and cables
> are about $17.00. If you can help it, avoid doing the work yourself, and
> ask them to make a cable for you.

They *ARE* extremely hard to work with! You don't save anything compared to
the cost of a ready made cable because the investment in time will be a
waste. Anyhow, because we needed very long cables (8-15 meters), we ordered
the plugs. They are readily available in Europe and cost 1$. The soldering
on this miniature plugs costed me such an amount of time and patience that
I had to stop the job.
Perhaps you would like to look into another solution: many computershops
and part outlets sell a cable that has the male 8pin plug on one side
and a joystick plug at the other side (DB-9 female, there is also a model
with loose wires, that one wan't work because pin4 of the 8pin is not
connected). These cables were made to connect standard joysticks to the
Commodore C(1)16 joystick ports. The cables cost 3.50$ and you will need
another DB-9 male plug (3$) to continue the cable.
Looks like a redy-made is the best way to go.
> 	Dave

Frank, the hardware man			CWI,Amsterdam, the Netherlands