[sci.electronics] Neutral-Ground Shorts

cl2kw@sdcc12.UUCP (06/06/87)

What are the potential  effects of a neutral-
ground short?  While troubleshooting a problem with
a PC regularly loosing its Ethernet connection, I
identified several 117 VAC outlets on the circuit
with neutral-ground shorts.  The PC and the network
interface card check out ok independently.
Could the ground fault be the culprit?  Could
a flakey device being turned off upstream on
the circuit cause the ground fault to exibit
its symptoms in the abortion of the network connection?

Advanced thanks for any suggestions/answers,
Kevin Walsh
UCSD Library Systems
...sdcsvax/sdcc12/cl2kw

rmrin@inuxh.UUCP (06/08/87)

> What are the potential  effects of a neutral-
> ground short?  While troubleshooting a problem with
> a PC regularly loosing its Ethernet connection, I
> identified several 117 VAC outlets on the circuit
> with neutral-ground shorts.  The PC and the network
> interface card check out ok independently.
> Could the ground fault be the culprit?  Could
> a flakey device being turned off upstream on
> the circuit cause the ground fault to exibit
> its symptoms in the abortion of the network connection?
>
> Advanced thanks for any suggestions/answers,
> Kevin Walsh
> UCSD Library Systems
> ...sdcsvax/sdcc12/cl2kw

Neutral and ground should be tied together.  Look out for the outlets
in which it isn't.

In article <583@inuxh.UUCP> rmrin@inuxh.UUCP (D Rickert) writes:

> Neutral and ground should be tied together.  Look out for the outlets
> in which it isn't.

Neutral and ground should be tied together *** at or near the fusebox ***.
Having them tied together at the outlet is wrong and a good indiction that
you should look for more questionable and dangerous wiring practices.

baldwin@rochester.ARPA (Douglas Baldwin) (06/09/87)

In article <583@inuxh.UUCP>, rmrin@inuxh.UUCP (D Rickert) writes:
> Neutral and ground should be tied together.  Look out for the outlets
> in which it isn't.

Not according to standard electrical codes - for instance, the National
Electrical Code requires neutral and ground conductors to be SEPARATE,
with the ONLY connection between them being a single point at the service
entrance. I think the idea is to make sure the ground conductor doesn't
carry any significant current, thus avoiding noticeable voltage drops
along it, thus making sure that it really is at ground potential everywhere.
(I suppose a large enough voltage difference between different "ground"
points could explain the original poster's problems....)

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (06/10/87)

It is difficult to troubleshoot the ethernet problem without a some
more detailed information.  The co-ax cable for the ethernet
system should only be attached to an earth ground at a single point
on the cable.  Being grounded at only one location prevents
currents from circulating in the shield of the cable and thus
inducing noise.  Normally, the transciever units that tap the cable
are optically and/or transformer isolated to prevent multiple
grounds from being formed.

I`d suspect that if the interface you have has a transciever box
that clamps on the cable, that there is something wrong with the
cable that connects the interface with the cable tap transciever.
Carefully check that the cable shield is intact.  Most of the
problems that I have seen are caused by a problem in the cable
between the interface and the transciever tap module.

One last idea is to make sure that the box on the cable tap
transciever is properly put together.  Sometimes nylon screws and
washers, etc. are used to prevent a ground from being fromed
inadverntantly between the ethernet cable and the PC.

Hope this gives you some ideas...

Bill
NEOUCOM
Division of Basic Medical Sciences
(wtm@neoucom.UUCP)

larry@kitty.UUCP (06/11/87)

In article <1989@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP>, grr@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
> > Neutral and ground should be tied together.  Look out for the outlets
> > in which it isn't.
>
> Neutral and ground should be tied together *** at or near the fusebox ***.
> Having them tied together at the outlet is wrong and a good indiction that
> you should look for more questionable and dangerous wiring practices.

	The National Electrical Code (section 250-23) makes it clear that
the current-carrying neutral and the earth ground wires should be bonded
at one and ONLY ONE place in any electrical system: the service entrance
panel (i.e., main disconnect) immediately following the meter.

	There are several reasons for this:

1.	An open or high-impedance (i.e., faulty) neutral line in the building
	distribution wiring, coupled with a high-impedance (i.e., faulty)
	equipment ground (like poor conduit bond) could result in dangerous
	voltages present on the earth grounds of interior wiring.

2.	Ground loops can exist in that some of the equipment (i.e., earth)
	ground wiring will be carrying current under normal conditions,
	thereby resulting in equipment grounds being at other than zero
	potential.

3.	The result of (2) above can cause significance interference with
	data communications equipment.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rocksanne|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|seismo|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}    "Have you hugged your cat today?"

news@rlvd.UUCP (06/12/87)

In article <583@inuxh.UUCP> rmrin@inuxh.UUCP (D Rickert) writes:

>Neutral and ground should be tied together.  Look out for the outlets
>in which it isn't.

Neutral and ground should NEVER be tied together. Ask yourself what is the
point of having seperate lines if you are going to join them
together. The reasons for keeping them separate are to do with the
safety of the earth protection in the event of a Neutral fault.

The short is liable to cause problems since there will be earth currents
as the result, since Neutral is (almost)never at zero potential.

Disclaimer- My experience relates to UK practice but I cannot imagine
any reason why the US should be different. However if you dont know this
problem in detail then I suggest you should seek expert advice before
altering anything.

Martin Loach                             UK JANET:       mjl@uk.ac.rl.pyr-a
ECF User Support, Informatics Division   Amateur Radio:  G8UDJ
Rutherford Appleton Labs
Chilton
Didcot
Oxon                          Why am I here?
OX11 0QX                      I should have stuck to being a lumberjack.

psfales@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Pete Fales) (06/17/87)

In article <467@rlvd.UUCP>, news@rlvd.UUCP (News) writes:
> In article <583@inuxh.UUCP> rmrin@inuxh.UUCP (D Rickert) writes:
> >
> >Neutral and ground should be tied together.  Look out for the outlets
> >in which it isn't.
>
> Neutral and ground should NEVER be tied together. Ask yourself what is the
> point of having seperate lines if you are going to join them
> together. The reasons for keeping them separate are to do with the
> safety of the earth protection in the event of a Neutral fault.

I think that part of the confusion here is that no one has ever defined
what they mean by "tied together."  If what you mean is "visibly connected
with a wire" then, as previously stated, it is imperative that they be
connected only at the service entrance.  However, I suspect that the
D Rickert and the original poster meant that AFTER DISCONNECTING THE MAIN
CIRCUIT BREAKER, if you check neutral and ground with a ohmmeter, you will
find them shorted together.  In this case, you should worry if they
aren't connected because the neutral is not providing you with any
protection.
--
Peter Fales		UUCP:	...ihnp4!ihlpe!psfales
			work:	(312) 979-7784

collinge@uvicctr.UUCP (Doug Collinge) (06/20/87)

In article <467@rlvd.UUCP> mjl@pyr-a.UUCP (Martin Loach) writes:
>In article <583@inuxh.UUCP> rmrin@inuxh.UUCP (D Rickert) writes:
>>
>>Neutral and ground should be tied together.
>Neutral and ground should NEVER be tied together.

What I have wanted to know for years is,  why is residential service
referred to ground at all?  I understand why they balance and ground
high-voltage transmission lines.  It seems to me that, if the transformer
was used to isolate the residential service from ground everyone would
be a lot safer.  How about it?
--
		Doug Collinge
		School of Music, University of Victoria,

dsi@unccvax.UUCP (DataSpan R+D) (06/22/87)

In article <258@uvicctr.UUCP>, collinge@uvicctr.UUCP (Doug Collinge) writes:

> What I have wanted to know for years is,  why is residential service
> referred to ground at all?  I understand why they balance and ground
> high-voltage transmission lines.  It seems to me that, if the transformer
> was used to isolate the residential service from ground everyone would

     I for one would much prefer the service coming into my home to be
referenced to earth ground.  As an engineer who (occasionally) builds
broadcasting stations, I can assure you that the effects of lightning
strikes are swift and dramatic.  If the distribution system in the home
were left in an essentially floating, balanced line condition, the danger
of electrocution due to leakage from L1-L2 to a cold water pipe (say, the
poorly designed toaster in the kitchen) would be minimized.  The danger
from fire due to extremely high voltage transients would not be minimized.
It is much easier to insulate 240 VAC than a few million volts of very
high current pulses from a dwelling and its occupants.

     Pole transformers (which actually have the secondary windings isolated,
but the center tap is grounded to the case *at the pole*) would probably
get internal shorts anyway just as soon as a service drop was hit, which
would negate any of the advantages of balanced line operation. Increasing
the insulation required for this service would drop transformer efficiency.

     The best solution are ground fault interrupters, in conjunction wiht
the present system in use.

David Anthony
DataSpan, Inc

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (06/23/87)

It wouldn't even take lightning strokes, just passing clouds to induce
enough static charge to arc accross the conductors.  Lightning rods do
more than attrack strokes to a benign place, they dispell charges that
would cause arcs to form.

-Ron

les@celerity.UUCP (Les Merrill) (06/23/87)

>What I have wanted to know for years is,  why is residential service
>referred to ground at all?  I understand why they balance and ground
>high-voltage transmission lines.  It seems to me that, if the transformer
>was used to isolate the residential service from ground everyone would
>be a lot safer.  How about it?

Safety is best when the transformer is center-tapped and grounded
at the utility pole.  A totally ungrounded circuit is subject to accidental
connection to dangerous voltages with no warnings available. Center-
tapping is the way they do it, except that the basic supply voltage is
220 v. balanced to ground/neutral. You plug into one half of the supply
when you use the common residential outlet.

The notion of one-side-is-ground hails back to the beginnings
of everything. There was a Samuel F. B. Morse who had something
to do with a single-ended telegraph circuit between Washington and Baltimore
(or was it Piladelphia ?) where the earth really WAS the other side of the
circuit..

--les
bigbang!celerity!les

In article <258@uvicctr.UUCP>, collinge@uvicctr.UUCP (Doug Collinge) writes:
> What I have wanted to know for years is,  why is residential service
> referred to ground at all?  I understand why they balance and ground
> high-voltage transmission lines.  It seems to me that, if the transformer
> was used to isolate the residential service from ground everyone would
> be a lot safer.  How about it?

I think the idea is that, with the common household 240-volt service
(two 120-volt sides on the power transformer secondary with a tie point
in between that is grounded) the center point being deliberately grounded
prevents the worst case voltage to ground in the system from being any
higher than 120 volts.  Otherwise, if one side of the 240 became acci-
dentally grounded, the other side would be (unexpectedly) 240 volts with
respect to ground and would pose a (much) worse shock hazard than 120
volts.  As it is, if either side of the 240 becomes accidentally grounded,
a fuse blows or a circuit breaker trips instead, alerting one to the problem
and causing no unexpected shock hazard.

(I saw this in a rather old elementary electricity handbook, so this may
or may not be on the level.  But it sort of makes sense, in that an insid-
ious shock hazard due to a short to ground could occur and never be detec-
ted until some unfortunate person found himself between the other side
of the 240 and ground.)

I suppose another problem would be that of controlling the maximum DC voltage
on the secondary side with respect to ground, to prevent insulation
breakdown in the transformer or for that matter in any equipment serviced
by the transformer which has a grounded case.  Even static electricity
could become a problem.
--
|------------dan levy------------|  Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
|--------skokie, illinois--------|

collinge@uvicctr.UUCP (Doug Collinge) (06/24/87)

In article <753@unccvax.UUCP> dsi@unccvax.UUCP (DataSpan R+D) writes:
>In article <258@uvicctr.UUCP>, collinge@uvicctr.UUCP (Doug Collinge) writes:
>> What I have wanted to know for years is,  why is residential service
>> referred to ground at all?
> If the distribution system in the home
>were left in an essentially floating, balanced line condition, the danger
>of electrocution due to leakage from L1-L2 to a cold water pipe (say, the
>poorly designed toaster in the kitchen) would be minimized.  The danger
>from fire due to extremely high voltage transients would not be minimized.
>It is much easier to insulate 240 VAC than a few million volts of very
>high current pulses from a dwelling and its occupants.

OK, I get your drift - but telephone companies run floating lines into
houses and solve the lightning problem with surge arrestors.  Why can't
the power company put surge arrestors in the transformers and/or in the
house?

Yes, and Ground Fault Interruptors are wonderful, of course.
--

ken@rochester.arpa (Ken Yap) (06/24/87)

|OK, I get your drift - but telephone companies run floating lines into
|houses and solve the lightning problem with surge arrestors.  Why can't
|the power company put surge arrestors in the transformers and/or in the
|house?

Yes, but the telephone company doesn't have to worry about connections
that get wired up to all the electrical appliances in the house. I
think capacitive transfer will probably raise the potential of the
ground wire should the power line get a direct hit, making all grounded
frames, like fridges, live.

I remember a page in the phone book, where I grew up, warning against
using the phone in a thunderstorm. Wonder if they still have that
page.

	Ken

In article <1781@ttrdc.UUCP>, levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
> > What I have wanted to know for years is,  why is residential service
> > referred to ground at all?  I understand why they balance and ground
> > high-voltage transmission lines.  It seems to me that, if the transformer
> > was used to isolate the residential service from ground everyone would
> > be a lot safer.  How about it?
>
> I suppose another problem would be that of controlling the maximum DC voltage
> on the secondary side with respect to ground, to prevent insulation
> breakdown in the transformer or for that matter in any equipment serviced
> by the transformer which has a grounded case.  Even static electricity
> could become a problem.

	Dan Levy hit the nail on the head: the most fundamental reason for
grounding the secondary of an AC power distribution transformer is to ensure
that any primary (i.e., high-voltage side) to secondary transformer winding
fault will be of sufficient current magnitude to trip the primary side
overcurrent device (i.e., high-voltage fuse).
	Transformer faults involving primary to secondary conduction are not
uncommon, especially in transformers which are subject to overload and
thereby overheat, consequently stressing the dielectric oil and the winding
insulation (often paper).
	Needless to say, if the secondary were ungrounded, a primary to
secondary fault could result in not only lethal voltages present on all
interior building wiring, but would most likely cause a fire through
insulation breakdown and subsequent arcing.
	The trend today is for electrical utilities to switch to higher
distribution voltages feeding customer distribution transformers.  The
traditional 4160/2400 volt wye distribution is being replaced by 13200/7600
volt service.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rocksanne|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|seismo|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}    "Have you hugged your cat today?"

> ... the telephone company doesn't have to worry about connections
> that get wired up to all the electrical appliances in the house...

Yup, and the phone company goes in heavily for plastic construction.  On
a standard phone, unless you reach underneath for the base plate, the only
metal part you can touch is the dial stop, which is (I think) isolated
from the working parts inside.

Note also that different standards apply, to some extent.  The phone system
is not UL-approved and never will be, barring the day when everything is
done with fiber optics instead of wires.  (The high ringing voltages cannot
be reconciled with UL standards, I'm told.)
--
"There is only one spacefaring        Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
nation on Earth today, comrade."   {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry