[sci.electronics] Info Wanted: DECCA Navigation

commgrp@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (06/18/87)

How  does the DECCA navigation system work?   My understanding is
that it's a British or European system similar to LORAN-A.  There
are  several "chains" of transmitters 70 and 130  kHz.   What  is
DECCA's range,  coverage area, and signal format?  I have seen no
DECCA  equipment advertized in marine electronics catalogs in the
U.S.   Is  it used in the Western or  Southern  hemispheres?   Is
DECCA  considered  a modern system?   Ian Fleming mentions it  in
"Thunderball," aboard the bad guy's yacht.

Thanks in advance; my e-mail replies don't always go.

--

Frank Reid                                   PO Box 5283
reid@gold.bacs.indiana.edu                   Bloomington, IN 47402

byrnes@ge-dab.UUCP (Arthur J. Byrnes) (06/20/87)

In article <24300011@silver> commgrp@silver.UUCP writes:

>How  does the DECCA navigation system work?   My understanding is
>that it's a British or European system similar to LORAN-A.  There
>are  several "chains" of transmitters 70 and 130  kHz.   What  is
>DECCA's range,  coverage area, and signal format?  I have seen no
>DECCA  equipment advertized in marine electronics catalogs in the
>U.S.   Is  it used in the Western or  Southern  hemispheres?   Is
>DECCA  considered  a modern system?   Ian Fleming mentions it  in
>"Thunderball," aboard the bad guy's yacht.
>

>--
>
>Frank Reid                                   PO Box 5283
>reid@gold.bacs.indiana.edu                   Bloomington, IN 47402
>                                             (812) 335-0711 (w)

As a technician who worked for Decca Marine for several years I can
tell you a little about the Decca Navigation system.  You are r
right about the frequency range.  It is a continous wave system
where as LORAN is a pulse system. The transmitters (3 or more)
transmit signal on a specific frequency and the receiver measures
the phase difference between the signals. Each transmitter is on n
a different frequency, but they are locked to a frequency
standard such as a cesium (sp?) beam clock.
The Decca system is very popular in Europe, and is (claimed to
be) more acurate than LORAN.  But Decca makes money by leasing the r
the recievers to ships, and since LORAN is free, there is
no market in the USA for the Decca system.  I think there is
a Decca chain on the east coast of Canada, but I'm not sure.

Also the system is not pure cw, some type of info is encoded
but I'm not sure what.  (The techs from the UK told us about
a European fellow who decided he was going to get rich, he
designed a digital reciever that used the Decca system.
The Decca recievers used big dials like analog clocks, kinda
looked like the altimeters in old crashing airplane movies,
the hands would spin wildly untill it locked onto the signal.
Anyway, this fellow's receiver worked real well and sold for
the price of about a 6 month Decca lease.  After many canceled
leases the boys at Decca found out what was going on and they
got one of his receivers, analyzed it and found that by
slightly changing the signal the bogus receiver dooesn't
track anymore. But it didn't effect the mechanical works in a
"real" Decca receiver.

Arthur

henkp@nikhefk.UUCP (Henk Peek) (06/24/87)

In article <24300011@silver> commgrp@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:

>How  does the DECCA navigation system work?   My understanding is
>that it's a British or European system similar to LORAN-A.  There
>are  several "chains" of transmitters 70 and 130  kHz.   What  is
>DECCA's range,  coverage area, and signal format?

Its orgin is British.
The DECCA system works with chains of 4 transmitters. (1 master
and 3 slaves). They transmit on the frequention range of 70 to
130 Khz. The frequentions are subharmonic related (about a few
KHz). The system works with fase-relations between the trans-
mitters. Those relations named lanes and are hyperbolic lines
between transmitters on a special chart. There are a few modes
with different lane wides.

>I have seen no
>DECCA  equipment advertized in marine electronics catalogs in the
>U.S.   Is  it used in the Western or  Southern  hemispheres?   Is
>DECCA  considered  a modern system?

The DECCA system was born in ww2 and patended by decca corparation.
They own all the equipment and only hiring out the recievers.
Only in the last few years you can buy recievers from other firms.
The DECCA system is used in the hole West European coast and japan.
DECCA is an old system, but it works with a good accuracy.

henk peek   ..!seismo!mcvax!nikhefk!henkp.UUCP

mb@camcon.co.uk (Mike Bell) (07/02/87)

> Anyway, this fellow's receiver worked real well and sold for
> the price of about a 6 month Decca lease.  After many canceled
> leases the boys at Decca found out what was going on and they
> got one of his receivers, analyzed it and found that by
> slightly changing the signal the bogus receiver dooesn't
> track anymore. But it didn't effect the mechanical works in a
> "real" Decca receiver.	(Arthur)

I bounced this story off an ex-DECCA employee.  He said it sounded
unlikely, because the specification of the DECCA signals are actually
layed down by legal statute, so unless the fellow's receiver relied
on something which wasn't in that specification...

[There was no love lost between the ex-DECCA employee and
Racal-Decca, so I have no reason to doubt this...]

Apocryphal story:  apparently it used to be quite common for ships to
travel along the lines of constant phase - resulting in the
occasional collision between ships travelling along the same line in
opposite directions

(usual disclaimers...)
--
---------------		UUCP:  ...seismo!mcvax!ukc!camcon!mb