[sci.electronics] Power Supplies for Tube Circuits.

dvadura@rose.UUCP (07/02/87)

===
	I'm working on building a small audio pre-amp using a 12AX7 type
tube.  I'd just like to experiment with some old-style technology.  It's
been suggested that I could obtain the less than 330 volts needed by
directly rectifying the line current and putting it through a voltage
doubler, eliminating the power transformer.  This could reduce the cost
of the thing quite a bit *iff it's a safe (for both me and my toys)
thing to do*.  Are there any experts out there who'll expound on the
wisdom (or lack there of) in eliminating the power transformer?  I'll
definitely put one in if there's any doubt.

Thanks.

---
UUCP:  {ihnp4|utcsri|utzoo|decvax|allegra}!watmath!rose!dvadura

> ... I could obtain the less than 330 volts needed by
> directly rectifying the line current and putting it through a voltage
> doubler, eliminating the power transformer.  This could reduce the cost
> of the thing quite a bit *iff it's a safe (for both me and my toys)
> thing to do*.  Are there any experts out there who'll expound on the
> wisdom (or lack there of) in eliminating the power transformer? ...

The trouble is that the negative end of the power supply is not isolated
from the AC line and hence can pretend to be "ground" only if the whole
gadget is self-contained and well-insulated, and you avoid connecting
things like oscilloscopes to it.  I believe some TV sets do their power
supplies this way, much to the irritation of TV service people who need to
haul around an isolation transformer if they want to connect test gear.

If the thing were self-contained, e.g. a TV set, I would rate this dubious
but acceptable given precautions.  For a pre-amp, you are presumably going
to be connecting it to other equipment.  Isolating those connections is
going to be hard, probably too hard to be worthwhile.  Accordingly, I would
give this a big black NOT ACCEPTABLE.  Use a transformer.
--
Mars must wait -- we have un-         Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
finished business on the Moon.     {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry

ken@rochester.arpa (Ken Yap) (07/04/87)

Don't do that! It ties your audio circuit to the power line in an
undesirable way. It probably wouldn't work because

1. The neutral of the 110 V input is close to ground potential.
2. The negative rail of your will be at some 140 V below the
neutral, assuming the full wave doubler, or at neutral, if you
use the half wave doubler.
3. In the first case, this makes the ground point of your audio -140 V
DC live wrt true ground, assuming it doesn't short first. In the second
case, this creates a giant ground loop which will make your woofer
vibrate with hum.

Go buy a transformer. For your safety, listening pleasure and peace of mind.

	Ken

neal@weitek.UUCP (07/07/87)

In article <8240@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>> ... I could obtain the less than 330 volts needed by
>> directly rectifying the line current and putting it through a voltage
>> doubler, eliminating the power transformer. [...]
>
>The trouble is that the negative end of the power supply is not isolated
>from the AC line and hence can pretend to be "ground" only if the whole
>gadget is self-contained and well-insulated, and you avoid connecting
>things like oscilloscopes to it. I believe some TV sets do their power
>supplies this way, much to the irritation of TV service people who need to
>haul around an isolation transformer if they want to connect test gear.

They don't call 'em "hot chassis" for nuthin'! Yeow!

> [...] For a pre-amp, you are presumably going to be connecting it to other
>equipment.  Isolating those connections is going to be hard, probably too hard
>to be worthwhile.  Accordingly, I would give this a big black NOT ACCEPTABLE.
>Use a transformer.

One way to reduce the bulkiness (but not neccessarily the cost) of the setup
is to rectify the AC directly, and use that as the power supply of a DC-DC
converter. Not only do you get the isolation (thx to the ET transformer) but
you also get better regulation on the B+ (300V) supply. However, you still need
filament voltage (a small/cheap transformer can do this.)

Another approach is to use a low (filament) voltage transformer with enough
excess capacity to drive a "flyback" DC-DC converter for the B+ supply. You get
isolation, simple B+ regulation, and filament voltage too.

However, if you're lazy (or dislike working with switchers), you can probably
scrounge an all-in one B+/filament transformer pretty cheap from a surplus
house. You'll have to filter the B+ supply with some big HV caps, tho'. Ick.
One advantage: transformers tend to "swallow" line spikes.

Henry's right, tho' - whatever you do, do not hook the circuit innards directly
to the AC line. I wouldn't recommend the use of an "auto-transformer" either,
since these connect you to at least one leg of AC (50-50 chance it'll be the
"wrong" one.) Be careful.

-Neal

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (07/09/87)

Hi,

While we're on the topic of tube preamps...  I learned a lot about
the nearly lost art of tube construction methods by looking at old
Tektronix 500 series oscilloscopes and their letter series
plug-ins.  The Tek scopes were about as far as the state of the art
of tube technology went.

In their hight gain amplifers, they often used DC on the tube
heaters to help reduce 60 Hz modulation of the signal being
amplified.

The high gain preamps were also usually isolated from the chassis
by rubber or springy metal strips.  The idea was probably to combat
microphonics from picking up vibrations of the fan.  (Quite a big
fan was necessary to cool down a 551 with its complement of 111
tubes! -- and it had a separate power supply with about a dozen
more tubes for regulating all voltages).  Shock mounting the amp
would probably be useful in combating feedback from the speakers.

One thing that has puzzled me is that some Tektronix plug-ins have
flat rubber coated resistors.  I've wondered what the purpose of
doing so was.  I've never seen any references as to why.

One thing to watch out for in tubes is the potential difference
between the heater and the cathode.  12AX7s permit about 100 vdc
between the heater and cathode.  The main impact is on the life of
the heater, and possible dielectric breakdown of the barrier
between the heater and cathode.  You should be aware of this if you
are designing a circuit that runs one or more of the stages with
the cathode significantly above 0v.  If so, you can float the
filament xformer.  The got-cha is if you feed DC to the heaters,
and the DC supply is ground referenced.

I like the idea of using a switcher to supply the B+.  By using a
switcher, you eliminate bulk and the higher frequency means that
smaller capacitors can be used to provide equal ripple removal.  Be
sure to use good construction, to prevent RF from escaping.  Also,
you need to use good quality capacitors with a high Q rating.
Regular aluminum electrolytics aren't very good.  A small mylar
capacitor in parallel can be used if you can't locate high grade
electrolyic capacitors.  (Save your $$$, and don't bother buying
esoteric polyproylene caps for your power supply).  Who knows, the
polypropylene capacitors may make a difference in interstage signal
coupling-- you be the judge of that.  To me, mylar caps sound
equivalent for audio coupling.

Hope this was of some use.
Bill
(wtm@neoucom.UUCP)

rbl@nitrex.UUCP (07/13/87)

In article <622@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

>The high gain preamps were also usually isolated from the chassis
>by rubber or springy metal strips.  The idea was probably to combat
>microphonics from picking up vibrations of the fan.  (Quite a big
>fan was necessary to cool down a 551 with its complement of 111
>tubes! -- and it had a separate power supply with about a dozen
>more tubes for regulating all voltages).  Shock mounting the amp
>would probably be useful in combating feedback from the speakers.

I've been told that the policy at Tektronix was that a 'scope should
survive a fall from
a 3 foot high table onto a concrete floor!  The springies etc. helped
the equipment fulfill this goal.

>One thing that has puzzled me is that some Tektronix plug-ins have
>flat rubber coated resistors.  I've wondered what the purpose of
>doing so was.  I've never seen any references as to why.

From the fuzzy dark reaches of my mind, I recall this resistor configuration
had something to do with reducing the inductance of the resistor.  Thick-film
technology, as I recall.

>Hope this was of some use.
>Bill
>(wtm@neoucom.UUCP)

There is an ART and there is a SCIENCE.  VERY occasionally, a for-profit
organization can afford to bring the state-of-the-art along with an
excellent appreciation of the science and actually produce a OPRODUCT
with the best of both!

Rob Lake
(rbl@nitrex.UUCP)

Disclaimer:  This in no way reflects any opinion of my employer nor any
knowledge gained while in my current employment.