[sci.electronics] Vibrator Technology

vince@tc.fluke.COM (Craig Johnson) (07/20/87)

Jan Steinman writes:
>I remember as a 9th-grader, ripping apart car radios.  At the time, my dad
>had just replaced the ignition coil on our Ford.  Well, I mounted the
>vibrator, ignition coil, and two lantern batteries on a small chassis, wired
>the whole thing to the striker-plate of the science classroom door, and
>closed it behind me.  No one could get in for about 30 minutes until the
>batteries died.

This reminded me of fun device I played with once.  Several years ago
as a youngster, I found a couple of Korean War vintage radio jammers
amongst stuff that had been dumped in the woods.  These were army green
cylinders about 6 inches in diameter and 24 inches long.  They had
holders for about 2 dozen "D" cell batteries, a wind-up 7-day, 24-hour
cycle timer, a vibrator, a spark gap, RF coils, and 25-50 meter
antenna wire.  The timer had setable stops which would allow the thing
to be programmed to go on and off several times a day.

I tried the thing a couple of times and noted that it was a wonder
source of broadband static.  I never determined if it was actually
tuned to any specific band.  I was very conscious of the RFI I was
creating (even with just a stub of an antenna) and was too concerned
about getting into trouble to spend much time trying to analyze the
output further.

	Craig V. Johnson
	John Fluke Mfg. Co.
	Everett, WA

wes@engr.uky.edu (Wes Morgan) (07/22/87)

In article <1293@sputnik.COM>, vince@tc.fluke.COM (Craig Johnson) writes:

> This reminded me of fun device I played with once.  Several years ago
> as a youngster, I found a couple of Korean War vintage radio jammers
> amongst stuff that had been dumped in the woods.  These were army green

This reminds me of a similar item I once saw.  The US Army Signal Corps
once had an item best described as an "Omniceiver".  It had a large
spherical <yes, spherical> dial in the center, with which it was possible
to tune in on anything through AM, FM, shortwave, aviation, you name it.
Ever since then, I have been searching in vain for this item.  I would be
willing to purchase this item or rebuild an old one, gien schematics.  Of
course, schematics alone would probably do it, but I'd rather find an original.

If anyone out there can point me to this item, the TM <Technical Manual>,
or a set of schematics, I'd be most grateful.

Reply by e-mail; save the net's money!

> 	Craig V. Johnson
> 	John Fluke Mfg. Co.
> 	Everett, WA

Wes Morgan

--
Wes Morgan     UUCP: !cbosgd!ukma!ukecc!wes   CSNET: wes@engr.uky.csnet
            ARPANET: wes@engr.uky.edu        BITNET: wes%ukecc.uucp@ukma

    " Disclaimer? Huh? You mean this was supposed to be *MY* opinion? "