[sci.electronics] vari-loopstick

dmt@ptsfa.UUCP (07/10/87)

A few weeks ago someone requested information about a vari-loopstick
needed for a home-built transmitter. The schematic specified a Lafayette
Radio part number.

I let the article expire and don't know the name of the person who asked
for the information so I must ask the indulgence of the rest of you. Sorry.

Vari-loopstick antennas were popular in the 1950's for small "pocket-sized"
radios. I built my first one in a plastic pie container using a Popular
Electronics article from late 1954.

As the name implies, a vari-loopstick is a variable inductance loopstick
antenna. They usually have fairly high inductance and most were tapped
at the 600 ohm point.

Lafayette Radio stopped advertising in Radio Electronics in Sept 1976 and
in Popular Electronics in Nov 1976 so I assume that they have gone out
of business. They closed their store in downtown San Francisco about the
same time. The last address I have for them is:

	Lafayette Radio Electronics
	111 Jericho Turnpike
	Syosset, L. I. NY 11791

J. W. Miller still sells Sub Miniature Antenna Loops in two inductance ranges:

	Part No.	Inductance
	2002		40 - 300 uH
	2007		150 - 1000 uH

They cost about $13.00 each. Both are tapped but the catalog doesn't say
what the tap impedance is.

These things are hard to find but any good electronics parts store that
carries Miller coils should be able to order them.

Oh, the size is about 1/2 inch diameter by 2 1/5 inches long.
They are slug tuned using a brass screw and mount in a 1/4 inch hole.

I hope this helps.

--
Dave Turner	415/542-1299	{ihnp4,lll-crg,qantel,pyramid}!ptsfa!dmt

georgep@vice.TEK.COM (George Pell) (07/10/87)

In article <3220@ptsfa.UUCP>, dmt@ptsfa.UUCP (Dave Turner) writes:

> Lafayette Radio stopped advertising in Radio Electronics in Sept 1976 and
> in Popular Electronics in Nov 1976 so I assume that they have gone out
> of business. They closed their store in downtown San Francisco about the
> same time. The last address I have for them is:
>
> 	Lafayette Radio Electronics
> 	111 Jericho Turnpike
> 	Syosset, L. I. NY 11791

Lafayette Radio was bought by Radio Shack in the '70s, was absorbed,
and soon disappeared altogether.

geo

new text
new text
new text
new text
new text
new text
damn mailer.......

keithe@tekgvs.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (07/11/87)

In article <1725@vice.TEK.COM> georgep@vice.TEK.COM (George Pell) writes:
>Lafayette Radio was bought by Radio Shack in the '70s, was absorbed,
>and soon disappeared altogether.

Uh, it was Allied that was purchased by Radio Shack (actually, Tandy).
As I recall Uncle Sam said "No, no, musn't do that" and made Tandy
divest itself of Allied. I think it was a practice run for the AT&T
job :-).

keith

dr@ski.UUCP (David Robins) (07/13/87)

In article <> dmt@ptsfa.UUCP (Dave Turner) writes:

>Lafayette Radio stopped advertising in Radio Electronics in Sept 1976 and
>in Popular Electronics in Nov 1976 so I assume that they have gone out
>of business. They closed their store in downtown San Francisco about the
>same time. The last address I have for them is:
>
>	Lafayette Radio Electronics
>	111 Jericho Turnpike
>	Syosset, L. I. NY 11791

Lafayette, a large chain and catalog store, did go out of business years ago.
They had one of the best consumer and experimenter parts
availabilities anywhere.  Radio Shack is no comparison.  The
Lafayette chain stores, however, were similar to Radio Shacks, and
carried few parts.

PS: I think I still have one vari-loopstick at home.
David Robins, M.D.
Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Foundation
(previously known as: Smith-Kettlewell Institute of Visual Sciences)
2232 Webster St; San Francisco CA 94115
415/561-1705 (voice)
			{ihnp4,qantel,dual}!ptsfa!ski!dr

The opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of the Institute!

rbl@nitrex.UUCP (07/14/87)

In article <3220@ptsfa.UUCP> dmt@ptsfa.UUCP (Dave Turner) writes:
>A few weeks ago someone requested information about a vari-loopstick
>needed for a home-built transmitter. The schematic specified a Lafayette
>Radio part number.

>Oh, the size is about 1/2 inch diameter by 2 1/5 inches long.
>They are slug tuned using a brass screw and mount in a 1/4 inch hole.
>
>I hope this helps.

There are/were a wide variety of Ferri-loopsticks.  I still have
a drawerful  --- some are as long as 8" with end mounting into clips.

Rob

phd@speech1.cs.cmu.edu (Paul Dietz) (07/15/87)

In article <983@ski.UUCP> dr@unix.UUCP (David Robins) writes:
>Lafayette, a large chain and catalog store, did go out of business years ago.
>They had one of the best consumer and experimenter parts
>availabilities anywhere.  Radio Shack is no comparison.  The
>Lafayette chain stores, however, were similar to Radio Shacks, and
>carried few parts.

When I was growing up, my Grandmother used to live two blocks from the
Lafayette headquarters in Syosset, Long Island. Most of the stuff in the
store was priced well beyond the range of a budding hacker, but there was
this one little room off to the side where they sold broken and discontinued
items. The stuff was VERY CHEAP, and usually tended to the bizarre. (I still
have the remains of a couple of baby Van DeGraf generators somewhere...)
Eventually, they moved the whole "junk" operation to a store in Mineola.
The gimmick there was "Parts for 99 cents a pound"! It was good stuff.
Too bad the operation didn't last...

So, here's a challenge to the net: Let's try and compile a list of the BEST
junk electronics stores in North America currently in existence! Send in
your nominations, and I'll try and compile a comprehensive list.

Paul H. Dietz
On ARPA: phd@speech1.cs.cmu.edu
Carnegie Mellon University
Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering

johns@phred.UUCP (John Stice) (07/20/87)

In article <1007@speech1.cs.cmu.edu> phd@speech1.cs.cmu.edu (Paul Dietz) writes:

>In article <983@ski.UUCP> dr@unix.UUCP (David Robins) writes:
>>Lafayette, a large chain and catalog store, did go out of business years ago.

		etc, etc......

>So, here's a challenge to the net: Let's try and compile a list of the BEST
>junk electronics stores in North America currently in existence! Send in
>your nominations, and I'll try and compile a comprehensive list.

My vote goes to:

	Pacific Hide and Fir
	of Great Falls, Montana.
	(No, I am not making this up).

These guys handled surplus Air Force junk out of Malmstrom AFB.
It was truly wonderful, because it was GOOD STUFF (for the most part)
and it was 10 cents a pound. Except magnatron magnets of course, which
were $5.00.

You havn't lived until you've tramped around in an outdoor junkyard in
the middle of a Montana winter.

Last time I checked, they were still in business. I'm afraid it's more than
10 cents a pound now, though.

John (I don't live in Montana anymore) Stice..............

rbl@nitrex.UUCP ( Dr. Robin Lake ) (07/23/87)

In article <1617@phred.UUCP> johns@phred.UUCP (John Stice) writes:
>In article <1007@speech1.cs.cmu.edu> phd@speech1.cs.cmu.edu (Paul Dietz) writes:
>
>>In article <983@ski.UUCP> dr@unix.UUCP (David Robins) writes:
>
>		etc, etc......
>>
>>So, here's a challenge to the net: Let's try and compile a list of the BEST
>>junk electronics stores in North America currently in existence! Send in
>>your nominations, and I'll try and compile a comprehensive list.
>	Pacific Hide and Fir
>	of Great Falls, Montana.
>	(No, I am not making this up).

>and it was 10 cents a pound. Except magnatron magnets of course, which
>were $5.00.

Eli Heffron and Sons
East Cambridge, Mass.
(May still be in business.  Affectionately known as "Evil Eli's")

Eli, may he rest in peace, used to pick up a basket of your selected junk,
heft it a bit and quote a price.  A little haggling was then permitted.
For a visual image, think of Popeye from the movie, only with a little
more scruff.  If it hadn't been for Eli, I'd know very little about
electronics!

Rob Lake