[sci.electronics] Those magic eyes

berman@me.ri.cmu.edu (Steven Berman) (07/21/87)

Since there seems to so many people out there that know about magic
eye tubes, Does anyone out there know what equivalent number
matches 1629?  I have what looks like a 6E5, based on the picture
on page 53 of the RCA receiving tube manual (yes, I really own one!!).
But my tube stubbornly calls itself 1629.  I really want to build
a project with this tube, but I need the pin-out and specs before I can
build it.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated (especially about
possible low-cost power supplies).
						-Thanks,
						Steve
Steven Berman
Mechanical Engineering-Robotics
The Robotics Institute
also Computer Science Department
Carnegie-Mellon University

ARPA: berman@me.ri.cmu.edu
UUCP: {harvard | ucbvax | seismo}!me.ri.cmu.edu!berman
SNAIL: 5668 Darlington Rd. Pittsburgh, PA  15217

This does not represent the opinion or policy of my employer...yet.

In article <1002@me.ri.cmu.edu>, berman@me.ri.cmu.edu (Steven Berman) writes:
> Since there seems to so many people out there that know about magic
> eye tubes, Does anyone out there know what equivalent number
> matches 1629?  I have what looks like a 6E5, based on the picture
> on page 53 of the RCA receiving tube manual (yes, I really own one!!).
> But my tube stubbornly calls itself 1629.  I really want to build
> a project with this tube, but I need the pin-out and specs before I can
> build it.

	As far as I know, the 1629 is electrically identical to the 6E5,
but is an industrial/military equivalent in an octal base (the 6E5 is a
6-pin base).  While I don't have the exact electrical specs for the 1629
handy, I do have the pin-out data from a tube tester reference manual
(don't laugh - we still have a tube tester buried in a storeroom!):

	Plate = pin 2
	Grid = pin 5
	Cathode = pin 8
	Target anode = pin 4
	Filament = pins 2 and 7
	Pin 1 has no connection, and pin 6 is physically missing

> Any suggestions are greatly appreciated (especially about
> possible low-cost power supplies).

	I would use a transformer with a secondary of 175-0-175 volts
@ 0.025 mA and 6.3 volts @ 0.5 A.  Use a couple of 1N4007 or equivalent
diodes and a pi-type filter using a resistor as the series element.
This should be good enough without any regulation, although if you want
to be a purist about it, there are many inexpensive TO-220 power
transistors with a Vceo of 300 volts to use for a series regulator.
If you are going to regulate, go for 200 to 220 volts.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rocksanne|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|seismo|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}    "Have you hugged your cat today?"

In article <1861@kitty.UUCP>, larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
> 	Plate = pin 2
> 	Filament = pins 2 and 7

	That was really brilliant, Larry - plate and filament on the
same pin.
	The plate is pin 3.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rocksanne|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|seismo|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}    "Have you hugged your cat today?"

dsi@unccvax.UUCP (DataSpan R+D) (07/22/87)

In article <1002@me.ri.cmu.edu>, berman@me.ri.cmu.edu (Steven Berman) writes:

[ Author asks about equivalent to 1629 "Magic Eye" tube ]

    The 1629 is identical to the 6E5, except that it has a 12.6 v 0.15 A
filament with controlled warmup characteristic. Presumably, this tube was
for use with those other dreaded 150 mA heater tubes (you know, like 50C5
35W4, 12BE6... ) in line operated receivers with series filaments common
from the 40's to the 60's.

     Other than applying 12 volts to the heater, the pinout and operation
of the 1629 is identical to the 6E5.

David Anthony
DataSpan, inc

P.S. Was digging in the back of a 1958 Magnavox black and white last Sunday..
aren't valves FUN ?!?!?!?????!

faunt@spar.SPAR.SLB.COM (Doug Faunt) (07/22/87)

In article <1861@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>	As far as I know, the 1629 is electrically identical to the 6E5,
>but is an industrial/military equivalent in an octal base (the 6E5 is a
>6-pin base).  While I don't have the exact electrical specs for the 1629
>handy, I do have the pin-out data from a tube tester reference manual
>(don't laugh - we still have a tube tester buried in a storeroom!):
>
>	Plate = pin 2
>	Grid = pin 5
>	Cathode = pin 8
>	Target anode = pin 4
>	Filament = pins 2 and 7
>	Pin 1 has no connection, and pin 6 is physically missing
>
>> Any suggestions are greatly appreciated (especially about
>> possible low-cost power supplies).
>
><>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
><>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rocksanne|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
><>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|seismo|utzoo}!/
><>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}    "Have you hugged your cat today?"

Larry, can you check your tube checker reference for verification of this?
As I remember it, the 1629 has a 12V filament winding.

The old ARC-5 transmitters used a pair of 1625's for the PA, a 1626
for the ECO, and a 1629 for a tuning indicator (ECO calibration check
with the crystal?) arranged  with the filaments of the 1625's in series,
and the filaments of the 1626 and 1629 in series, for running off the
24V input.  The HV was generated by a dynamotor.

In article <180@spar.SPAR.SLB.COM>, faunt@spar.SPAR.SLB.COM (Doug Faunt) writes:
> Larry, can you check your tube checker reference for verification of this?
> As I remember it, the 1629 has a 12V filament winding.

	You are correct, it is 12.6 volts, probably at 0.150 A.  After
once again decoding the settings for our gen-u-wine Hickock super-duper
transconductance tube tester :-), it says the filament is 12.6 volts.
The pin connections which I gave are still correct.  Besides the pin
connections - all of the other operating condition specs are the
same as for the 6E5 - including the control settings for "open" and
"close".
	I also found the 1629 listed in an old RCA Industrial Tube catalog,
but it gave no specs.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rocksanne|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|seismo|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}    "Have you hugged your cat today?"

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (07/23/87)

My 1973 edition of the RCA Receiving Tube Manual has some tank
circuit pictured on page 53!  No eye tube in sight (pun).  It does,
however, provide some minimal information on the 1629 and a little
more information on the 6E5.  Apparently, the 1629 is a
military/industrial tube.

The 1629 speces:

Tube outline diagram  13H
Tube terminal diagram 7AL
Heater voltage 12.6
Heater current 0.15 A
pin 1  NC
pin 2  H       (one end of the heater)
pin 3  PT/RCJ  (apparently this means ray control grid)
pin 4  TA      (fluorescent target)
pin 5  GT      (not sure what this is, some extra gird??)
pin 6  --      (they left this blank)
pin 7  H       (other end of heater)
pin 8  K       (cathode)

I'd imagine the voltages necessary are similar to the 6E5.  The
book makes no mention of what to use.  Hope this helps

Bill Mayhew
Division of Basic Medical Sciences
Northeastern Ohio Universites' College of Medicine
Rootstown, OH  44272-9989    phone:  216-325-2511
(wtm@neoucom.UUCP   ...!cbatt!neoucom!wtm)

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (07/24/87)

Ahh..the ARC-5
The ARC-5 had the eye tube in the back of the unit and there was a little
mirror on the door over it so you could see it while you were tuning.
Unfortunately the magic eye was missing from mine so I had to surfice
with a meter.

-Ron