[sci.electronics] Satellite DX

robert@uop.UUCP (Robert McCaul--The Equalizer) (07/16/87)

with all the talk over "spy" sattelites, in addition to the wave
of home satellite dishes, has anyone spent the time to downlink
anything other than the usual?? (why watch HBO when you can watch
the SPOT satellites, weather, or the kremlin?)

just curious

> with all the talk over "spy" sattelites, in addition to the wave
> of home satellite dishes, has anyone spent the time to downlink
> anything other than the usual?? (why watch HBO when you can watch
> the SPOT satellites, weather, or the kremlin?)

Not that easy, alas.  Different and often unpublicized frequencies,
unorthodox modulation schemes (it ain't yer normal video signal),
probably encryption for the spysats, possibly tight-beam transmission
with small footprints for the military stuff, and finally the general
problem that most of the satellites in question are in low orbit, meaning
that they aren't in line of sight when they're viewing the Kremlin!

It is possible -- I've seen weather-satellite images, in particular, from
amateur equipment -- but not simple.
--
Support sustained spaceflight: fight |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
the soi-disant "Planetary Society"!  | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (07/23/87)

I used to work on satellite transponder equipment.  Probably all
spy satellite stuff is encrypted to the point where is not worth
the effort it takes to get the stuff back.  If memory seves me
right, the military uses ~14 GHz downlinks (get a copy of MSN
magazine for details).  Some are as high as 25 GHz (ugh!!).

Russian spy satellies are designed for a duty cycle of ~6 months.
They send film canisters back for reentry!  No problems with radio
security there.  There are some Soviet spy satellites that do use
video, though so I've heard.

The Russian TV satellites are in two formats.  One is called
Gorizont (their word for horizontal) and is in synchronous orbit
over Europe; this isn't viewable from the US.  They have satellites
called Molnyia (thier word for lightning) taht are in eliptical
orbit.  These can be seen from the US.  Since they aren't geosync,
an azimth/elevation dish is required to stay on track.  I think
they are visible for 6 Hours.  There are 4 Molnyia, so as one is
just setting on the horizon, another one is rising.

Another option is Intelsat.  These use circular polarization that
is not common on many consumer dishes.  Intelsat uses a so-called
hemispherical footprint to cover nearly 1/2 the globe.  Thus, thus
received power is quite weak.  You'd need a 5 to 8 meter dish to
get an acceptible picture back.

The best for unusual TV is to catch ocassional feeds that are
routed through the US domestic satellite net as they make a
multi-hop trip from Europe to Austrailia.  Sometimes, Westar IV,
transponder 14 has Russian TV (it carried Gorbachev's arms speech
yesterday).  Satcom F1 also carries BBC feeds on the upper
transponders (sometimes #18).  Satcom F4, transponder #2 is shared
with RAI TV from Itay with Bravo Entertainment channel and other
services.  The RAI is intended for US consumption, and thus arrives
already converted to NTSC; watch for this around 1600 hours,
eastern time.

US standard monitors often have enough lattitude in their sync
controls to be able to lock onto the scan frequencies used in
European TV.  A multistandard monitor is is reuqired if you want to
watch in color, though.

A book, "The Hidden Signals on Satellite TV", is useful for
information about how to retrieve FSK weather pictures, SCPC audio,
Teletext, etc.

Bill
(wtm@neoucom.UUCP)

bill@ut-ngp.UUCP (Bill Jefferys) (07/25/87)

In article <633@neoucom.UUCP} wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

}The Russian TV satellites are in two formats.  One is called
}Gorizont (their word for horizontal) and is in synchronous orbit
}over Europe; this isn't viewable from the US.  They have satellites
}called Molnyia (thier word for lightning) taht are in eliptical
}orbit.  These can be seen from the US.  Since they aren't geosync,
}an azimth/elevation dish is required to stay on track.  I think
}they are visible for 6 Hours.  There are 4 Molnyia, so as one is
}just setting on the horizon, another one is rising.

Actually, " gorizont " means " horizon ", presumably because, being
in synchronous orbit over Europe it is above their horizon at all times.
The word for " horizontal " is " gorizontal' ". A small point, perhaps,
but "horizontal" would make no sense.