  What is it?

		Brett L Maraldo

--
               --------     Unit 36 Research     ---------
	                "Alien Technology Today"
	                    bmaraldo@watdcsu

In article <3755@watdcsu.waterloo.edu>, bmaraldo@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Commander Brett Maraldo) writes:

>   What is it?

	Mumetal (tm) is a registered tradename of Allegheny Ludlum Steel
Corp.
	Mumetal is an alloy consisting of 77% nickel, 5% copper, 1.5%
chromium, with the balance iron.  Mumetal exhibits an extremely high
magnetic permiability, which makes it ideal for magnetic shielding
applications.  Mumetal is also used for cores in inductors and transformers.
	Mumetal has been around since before World War II, and has been
extensively used.  Two other alloys have approximately the same magnetic
permiability as Mumetal: 4-79 Moly Permalloy (tm), and Hymu 80 (tm).  I am
aware of only one alloy with a magnetic permiability higher than Mumetal:
Supermalloy (tm).
	So the point is: Mumetal is pretty good stuff for shielding devices
against stray magnetic fields.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231       {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|seismo|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}   "Have you hugged your cat today?"

gtaylor@astroatc.UUCP (that wierdo in the 5-sided shoebox office) (08/19/87)

In article <3755@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> bmaraldo@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Commander Brett Maraldo) writes:
>Subject: Re: Mumetal
>  What is it?

It's mumusic for headbuhbangers.

It was a dirty answer, but somebody hadda give it.

--
"Tekii to manzoku wa huru yuki no yooni yukkuri to tumoru mono de aru."
:::::::::::Gregory Taylor:Astronautics:{wherever}!uwvax!astroatc!gtaylor

mjj@aplvax.UUCP (Marshall J. Jose) (08/21/87)

In <3755@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> Commander Brett Maraldo writes:

>  What is it [i.e., mu-metal - mjj]?

The common form of mu-metal I've encountered is a high permeability
metal manufactured as a thin foil, and used in magnetic shielding.
					Marshall Jose
					mjj@aplvax.jhuapl.edu

jerryh@pnet01.CTS.COM (Jerry Hewett) (08/24/87)

> The common form of mu-metal I've encountered is a high permeability
> metal manufactured as a thin foil, and used in magnetic shielding.

Could you *please* give me a manufacturer and/or resale outlet name so that I
can order some mu-metal?  I've been looking for some of this stuff for the
past year so that I can shield the motor in my turntable...

In article <1592@crash.CTS.COM>, jerryh@pnet01.CTS.COM (Jerry Hewett) writes:
> > The common form of mu-metal I've encountered is a high permeability
> > metal manufactured as a thin foil, and used in magnetic shielding.
>
> Could you *please* give me a manufacturer and/or resale outlet name so that I
> can order some mu-metal?  I've been looking for some of this stuff for the
> past year so that I can shield the motor in my turntable...

	Magnetic shielding material is generally not a distributor item, so
one must go directly to a manufacturer.  Here are three possibilities:

Ad-Vance Magnetics, Inc., 625 Monroe St.,
Rochester, IN 46975, 219/223-3158

Eagle Magnetic Co., Inc., P.O. Box 24283,
Indianapolis, IN 46224, 317/297-1030

Magnetic Shield Div., Perfection Mica Co., 746 N. Thomas Dr.,
Bensenville, IL 60106, 312/766-7800

	Any of the above vendors can furnish you with various types of
magnetic shielding in sheet or foil form.  However, you may encounter
some problems with minimum order quantities.  You could always buy a
quantity and sell the excess to the audiophiles on the Net... :-)

straka@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Straka) (08/24/87)

In article <1946@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
|In article <3755@watdcsu.waterloo.edu>, bmaraldo@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Commander Brett Maraldo) writes:
||   What is it?
|	Mumetal (tm) is a registered tradename of Allegheny Ludlum Steel
|Corp.
|chromium, with the balance iron.  Mumetal exhibits an extremely high
|magnetic permiability, which makes it ideal for magnetic shielding
|	So the point is: Mumetal is pretty good stuff for shielding devices
|against stray magnetic fields.

However, it also saturates at a relatively low magnetic field.  It is
therefore best to use it in combination with a gross ferrous shield to
absorb the heavy-duty magnetic fields first.  The mumetal will take care
of the rest.

It's also grossly expensive stuff!
--
Rich Straka     ihnp4!ihlpf!straka

Advice for the day: "MSDOS - just say no."

piner@pur-phy.UUCP (Richard Piner) (08/25/87)

In article <1592@crash.CTS.COM> jerryh@pnet01.CTS.COM (Jerry Hewett) writes:
>> The common form of mu-metal I've encountered is a high permeability
>> metal manufactured as a thin foil, and used in magnetic shielding.
>
>Could you *please* give me a manufacturer and/or resale outlet name so that I
>can order some mu-metal?  I've been looking for some of this stuff for the
>past year so that I can shield the motor in my turntable...

Try McMaster-Carr in Chicago, 312-833-0300. They have everything.

jimk@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Jim Kendall) (08/25/87)

In article <1959@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:

>	Magnetic shielding material is generally not a distributor item, so
>one must go directly to a manufacturer.

If you do get your mumetal, be sure not to fold, spindle, mutilate or
heat it past the manufacturers spec's.  Mumetal looses its shielding
ability if misused. It's typically pre-formed and cooked in a pre-
determined shape so as to avoid the possibility of user misuse.
so I guess the bottom line is - BE CAREFUL WITH THE STUFF - or it won't
do what it's `sposed to.

Jim Kendall