[sci.electronics] Skin depth: background information

max@eros.uucp (Max Hauser) (09/23/87)

This started out with several topics but I decided to chop it
up as it was getting even longer than usual. I don't want my
friend Graham from Jamaica to accuse me of long-windedness again.
I have omitted sci.physics as this is beneath their dignity.

I post this also with some trepidation, as others will no doubt
beat me to it, and do a better job, what with the Time Warp and all,
and this information being anything but secret. But here goes.

In <1549@culdev1.UUCP>, drw@culdev1.UUCP (Dale Worley) writes:

>  As long as we're debunking things, note that the "skin effect" (if
>  it's the skin effect I know and love) involves a "penetration depth"
>  measured in fractions of a wavelength.  Since the wavelength at 20kHz
>  is ... hmmm ... 5 kilometers, it doesn't seem too significant.

At high frequencies, current tends to flow at the surface of a
conductor, and the better the conductor, the shallower is the
characteristic depth (or "skin depth"), at which (roughly) current
density falls by a factor of e from the surface. As I and others
have posted before, skin effect is (surprisingly, to me) an important
matter at audio frequencies. The skin depth is certainly not a
fraction of a wavelength [argument third pph following], but
rather, inversely proportional to the square roots of frequency and
conductivity [1], and for copper, it is about 0.5 mm at 20 kHz [2].
Since the falloff of current with depth is smooth rather than abrupt,
this does not of course mean that the metal conducts in only a 0.5 mm
layer, but rather that the effect significantly changes resistance
for wires on that order of radius -- and speaker wires, solid or
heavy stranded, are on that order of radius.

Skin depth also depends on magnetic permeability (mu), but this is
substantially material-independent, and indeed the the same as for
vacuum, with common conductors [2]. Also, the phenomenon affects
inductance along with resistance. Both become (weakly) frequency -
dependent.

Note that with more-resistive materials (like mercury), the skin
depth becomes *larger* (not smaller, as an earlier poster mentioned,
no doubt in a moment of distraction), but the drop in conductivity
more than compensates for this to yield a larger net resistance in
the wire, at frequencies where skin depth is important.

Skin depths for metals consistently follow the form d / sqrt(freq),
where the constant of proportionality, d, is 66 mm for copper;
83 mm for aluminum; 64 mm for silver, and 18.5 mm for typical
solder alloy [2]. Therefore the 0.5 mm skin depth of copper wire
at 20 kHz becomes only 0.13 mm for typical solder.

Finally, those with an applied-math bent will appreciate quickly
that not only does skin depth happen not to be proportional to
free-space wavelength, it moreover *cannot* be so.  Skin effect is
a classic example of a linear boundary-layer problem, which is to
say a one-dimensional problem arising from a reduction of a partial
differential equation near a boundary (in this case the
electromagnetic wave-propagation equation when it impinges on an
imperfectly conductive plane -- another good example is the velocity
of a fluid flow near a parallel wall).  As such, it forms a
Sturm-Liouville system [3], and the associated characteristic
boundary depth (skin depth, in this case) arises as the dissipative
(real) part of an eigenvalue of this system. Characteristically in
such situations (or it can be shown from dimensions alone), this
depth is not determined by wavelength.

This article appears as a point of information and should not be
misconstrued as a wholesale defense of Luddite audiophilia.