[sci.electronics] if transformer?

sr16+@andrew.cmu.edu (Seth Benjamin Rothenberg) (09/20/87)

I am trying to build a circuit I found in an old Lafayette Electronics
Book (from before it became Lafayette Department Stores), but
I am not sure it is legal now.  It uses 'i-f transformers' to transmit
an audio signal over an AC line at 400KHz.  The Radio Shack
salesman near me said that the FCC now allows only 46-49Mega Hz
for this type of stuff.  Is this true?  Does anyone know where I
can get so-called if transformers?  If the above-mentioned
circuit is not legal, is there a circuit around that is?

Thanks

Seth Rothenberg
sr16@andrew.cmu.edu
rochester!pt!andrew.cmu.edu!sr16
sbrst@cisunx
sbrst@pittvms.bitnet

parnass@ihuxz.ATT.COM (Bob Parnass, AJ9S) (09/23/87)

In article <IVImuXy00Uo5Q7c0jH@andrew.cmu.edu>, sr16+@andrew.cmu.edu (Seth Benjamin Rothenberg) writes:

 > I am trying to build a circuit ..., but
 > I am not sure it is legal now.  It uses 'i-f transformers' to transmit
 > an audio signal over an AC line at 400KHz.  The Radio Shack
 > salesman near me said that the FCC now allows only 46-49Mega Hz
 > for this type of stuff.  Is this true?

Carrier current transmission, if done in compliance with FCC regulations
is still legal.   Here is a partial list of wireless intercoms and their
transmission frequencies (in MHz).  Several of these models are in
production now:

intercom, wireless, Allied Knight-Kit
		       [KG-225]____________    0.1360____-
	      "		 "		       0.2150____-
intercom, wireless, Heathkit, fm
		       [GD-1114]___________    0.2820____-
intercom, wireless, Lafayette, fm
		       [FM-50]_____________    0.1600____ch C
	      "		 "		       0.2000____ch B
	      "		 "		       0.2400____ch A
intercom, wireless, Radio Shack, power 50 mw, fm
		       [43-212A]___________    0.1600____ch B
	      "		 "		       0.2000____ch A
	      "		 "		       0.2300____ch C
	      "	       [43-214]____________    0.1600____ch B
	      "		 "		       0.2000____ch A
	      "	       [43-218]____________    0.1600____ch B
	      "		 "		       0.2000____ch A
	      "		 "		       0.2300____ch C
intercom, wireless, Tele-Tender, power 50 mw, fm
		       [Comm-Call 300]_____    0.2000____ch A
	      "		 "		       0.2300____ch B
	      "		 "		       0.2600____ch C

--
===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===
Bob Parnass,  Bell Telephone Laboratories - ihnp4!ihuxz!parnass - (312)979-5414

georgep@vice.TEK.COM (George Pell) (09/24/87)

In article <IVImuXy00Uo5Q7c0jH@andrew.cmu.edu>, sr16+@andrew.cmu.edu (Seth Benjamin Rothenberg) writes:
> I am trying to build a circuit I found in an old Lafayette Electronics
> Book (from before it became Lafayette Department Stores), but
> I am not sure it is legal now.  It uses 'i-f transformers' to transmit
> an audio signal over an AC line at 400KHz.  The Radio Shack
> salesman near me said that the FCC now allows only 46-49Mega Hz
> for this type of stuff.  Is this true?  Does anyone know where I
> can get so-called if transformers?  If the above-mentioned
> circuit is not legal, is there a circuit around that is?

Your first mistake was to believe the Radio Shack salesman.  He
doesn't know what he is talking about.  Radio Shack even sells
devices (wireless intercoms, BSR remote controllers, etc) which
operate over the AC line.  These do not operate at 46-49 Mhz, but
at the Khz frequency range.

You should be able to find a replacement IF transformer, used for
AM superhet radios, hanging on the parts rack at Radio Shack.

Find yourself a more knowledgeable salesman.

geo