[sci.electronics] High Power IR-LED's

torben@uhmanoa.UUCP (09/24/87)

Does anyone now of a good source for some high-power IR LED's? I'd like at
least 100mW emitted power. But I'd prefer higher. Also, they need to have
very fast switching times and as high a duty cycle as possible.

Any and all leads appreciated. I wouldn't mind laser LED's, but I cannot
afford to pay more than a couple of hundred dollars max a piece.

						---torben
--
Torben N. Nielsen,Department of ICS,2565 The Mall,Honolulu, HI 96822
torben@uhmanoa.ics.hawaii.edu

agn@unh.cs.cmu.edu.UUCP (09/24/87)

You can buy IR-laser diodes in the 7 to 25 W (right watt!) range for $14.88
(order number R6MI60468) from:
	BNF Enterprises		(617) 531-5774
        119 Foster Street
        P.O. Box 3357
        Peabody, MA 01961-3357
This is from a March '87 catalog. These are probably surplus devices or
devices that failed some quality inspection...

In any event, such a diode is downright dangerous: high power IR can harm the
eye even if you can't see it. It is also not easy to drive such a device:
you need to deal with fairly high current and such diodes tend to be rather
sensitive.

--
   --  Andreas Nowatzyk  (DC5ZV)

   Carnegie-Mellon University	     Arpa-net:   agn@unh.cs.cmu.edu
   Computer Science Department         Usenet:   ...!seismo!unh.cs.cmu.edu!agn

magore@watdcsu.UUCP (09/25/87)

In article <1015@unh.cs.cmu.edu> agn@unh.cs.cmu.edu (Andreas Nowatzyk) writes:
>You can buy IR-laser diodes in the 7 to 25 W (right watt!) range
[order info deleted]
>In any event, such a diode is downright dangerous: high power IR can harm the
>eye even if you can't see it. It is also not easy to drive such a device:
>you need to deal with fairly high current and such diodes tend to be rather
>sensitive.

	Yes dangerous is right! Note that about a 5/1000th of a watt
of laser IR that is well focused can do _very_ serious damage to an eye
and that about a 1/5th of a watt can start paper on fire if the beam
is well focused ! [ Running full on - not pulsed mode of course ]

>--
>   --  Andreas Nowatzyk  (DC5ZV)

Best Regards,

# Mike Gore
# Institute for Computer Research. ( watmath!mgvax!root - at home )
# These ideas/concepts do not imply views held by the University of Waterloo.