[sci.electronics] current carrier frequencies ???

lharris@utgpu.UUCP (09/27/87)

Hi.
Could someone out there please tell me what frequencies transmit best
over AC power lines.  Are there any IC's on the market to interface to
the AC power lines ? I was thinking of putting together a current carrier
modem so I could zap files from a computer in the basement to one upstairs
without tying up the phone lines.
Any help would be very much appreciated - (no - I can't afford a commercial
unit)
Thanks in advance
/Leonard

khayo@sonia.cs.ucla.edu (Erazm J. Behr) (09/28/87)

In article <1987Sep26.212814.921@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> lharris@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Leonard Harris) writes:

>(...) I was thinking of putting together a current carrier
>modem so I could zap files from a computer in the basement to one upstairs
>without tying up the phone lines.

   I remember seeing such a thing (very simple, but probably slow -
"trickle" more than "zap" variety) in an issue of Byte about a year
and a half ago, in Ciarcia's Circuit Cellar dept. (not to be confused
with a fancy bells-and-whistles $400 modem he described more recently.)
Next time I'm in the library, I'll try to find the exact reference.

   Sorry, couldn't mail the above - your site is not in our /etc/hosts.