[sci.electronics] Lightning Protection Advice Needed

commgrp@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (09/18/87)

>I  am  wondering what kind of steps I can take to  minimize  the
>damaging effects of lightning...
>
>  Ralph M. Hightower, Jr.

The following was posted by Howard Hull on rec.ham-radio, 5 Aug. 1985:

                      LIGHTNING PROTECTION

 1. First order protection -

 On  the  tallest  object associated with  your  structure,  mount  an
extended umbrella-like fixture a few meters in diameter, with numerous
sharp points along the periphery and across the crown,  spaced about 1
meter  apart.   (You  can  make the thing from re-bar and  heavy  duty
chicken wire unless you have high winds like we have around here.) Use
a large diameter conductor (1 to 2 cm.) to connect the umbrella points
together  at  the center and thence down to a  suitable  ground  stake
located at a place where soil moisture is prevalent,  but more import-
antly,  try  to  make the conductor run in a straight line  with  *no*
sharp corners;  use a minimum radius of 1.5 meters on any bends in the
ground  wire.   Keep  this  wire at least 2 meters from any  power  or
communications conduit at all places along its route.

 Theory:

 The  multitude  of points will emit a  trickle  corona  continuously,
resulting  in  a space charge of ionized air within 20 meters  of  the
umbrella.   The  space charge will terminate the cloud-to-ground elec-
tric  field across a broad hemisphere and will reduce the local  field
gradient to a value below that needed to form "leaders".  The umbrella
will likely not ever be hit by lightning; however, the conductor gauge
is set to minimize the damage inherent in such a strike.   (A  strike,
if it occurs, will likely be a secondary, (resulting from the shift in
electrostatic  field  just after a strike) to another object within  a
fraction of a km.)  This approach,  you should note,  puts  additional
stress  on  your neighbors (they will see a slight rise in  their  hit
statistics)  as  it only postpones the discharge until the  cloud  has
moved  past  your installation.   The ground conductor is spaced  from
other conduits so that the Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) associated with
the 10000 Ampere surge will not be able to develop equivalent currents
in  parallel conductors adjacent to the ground wire.   Using  a  large
diameter  and avoiding bends reduces the per length inductance discon-
tinuities.   This discourages the abandonment of your ground conductor
in favor of nearby metal objects such as power conduits (resulting  in
hazardous  elevation  of the system ground potential to  thousands  of
volts above the mains).

 2. Second order protection -

 Protect  your primary power entry by use of a surge protector  having
four main elements

 a.)  Line fuses for each hot main NO FUSE FOR THE WHITE NEUTRAL.   No
circuit breakers (too slow).

 b.) Self extinguishing gas discharge tubes or arc chutes routed to  a
primary ground stake *separated* by 3 or more meters from the umbrella
ground mentioned above,  *not* using the same stake,  even,  and using
the same linear routing algorithm mentioned above.

 c.) Heavy gauge inductors, 1 microhenry or thereabouts for typical 30
to  50 Ampere per phase service levels,  to choke the surge out of the
consumer side of the system.  NONE IN THE WHITE NEUTRAL.

 d.)  Post choke line clamping to WHITE NEUTRAL.   This is  where  the
witchcraft comes in.  One candidate is the Metal Oxide Varistor (MOV).
They  have  two  disadvantages:  They age,  gradually  reducing  their
threshold  over  time until one day they evaporate in a ball  of  fire
during a line surge.   They have a rather remote threshold  character-
istic compared to, say, a Silicon TransZorb.  They have several advan-
tages:  They  are cheap.   They come in packaging that is familiar  to
professional electricians.  They are generally more robust than Selen-
ium  or  Silicon  protectors.   They have a smaller  geometry  than  a
Selenium protector.  Another candidate is a combination protector made
up  from  a ground referenced 50 Ampere triac in series with either  a
lower  rated  voltage MOV or TransZorb element,  with the  triac  gate
wired  back to (an artfully positioned) tap on the gas tube/arc  chute
ground.   From here (this stuff belongs in a fire-rated NEMA box)  the
WHITE  NEUTRAL  and GREEN NEUTRAL are tied together at this one  point
only, and passed through a medium size conductor to the primary ground
stake by a route that is separated by 1.5 meters from the gas tube/arc
chute ground.

 Theory:

 If  your  power line gets hit,  the gas tube fires and  conducts  the
surge current to ground.  The 20 kilovolts experienced by your service
entry (for about 10 microseconds) will go through the chokes and  will
cause  the  MOV  or complex protector shunt to break down and  draw  a
steadily  rising current (to many tens of  Amperes),  but  immediately
choked to a reduced voltage.   The fuses will, after a while, be blown
away.   Until then, the MOVs will clamp the WHITE NEUTRAL to the mains
(perhaps resulting in noticeable rise of the common-mode voltage).  It
is  this  common-mode  elevation which destroys  your  out-of-building
communications interfaces.   With everything in the building coming to
2000  volts  above  your neighbors  (including  your  local  telephone
operating  company),  any common-mode paths will be severely stressed.
However,  especially withing the building,  they will be less stressed
than  they would have been if the mains were allowed to  diverge  from
the WHITE NEUTRAL.

 3. Third level protection

 The most effective common-mode protection is an Ultra-Isolator Trans-
former.   It  is  also rather expensive compared to differential  line
protectors and secondary Silicon TransZorb protectors.   Although many
Ultra-Isolator Transformers were utilized during the 1970's by  sensi-
tive computer installations,  it was realized eventually that the most
damage  to main-frame equipment was done by differential surges  (main
to  main on three-phase systems).   The common-mode threat was seen as
too  little to justify the cost and complexity of installation  of  an
ultra-isolator,  which,  by  the way,  can also be done ineffectively,
resulting  in  no net improvement in the  level  of  protection.   The
companies  that  make  ultra-isolators issue  complete  and  effective
instructions  concerning  their installation.   The difficulty  is  in
getting  industrial electricians to follow the directions.   Thus  for
the benefit of the main-frame and peripheral power supplies,  for cost
effective  purposes,  a good differential surge eliminator inside  the
enclosure of each system power supply is recommended.  However, remem-
ber  that the common mode is the most destructive to your  distributed
data  communications peripherals;  unfortunately,  to protect them you
must  provide  the entire computer room and distributed  CRT  terminal
load  with  an ultra-isolator transformer,  or see that each  unit  is
designed to withstand momentary local and global differences of thous-
ands of volts on the signal returns.  Even then, on occasion, only one
violator  located  in a critical location and tied to  a  non-isolated
power system elsewhere in the building can blow the whole scheme.

 Theory:

 Not much theory here.   The entire primary winding of the transformer
may get lifted to 2000 volts,  but the secondary remains referenced to
the computer room ground stake.   The box shields around the the wind-
ings  are  tied to the stake,  and short out the electric  field  that
might  otherwise couple to the secondary.   Saturation of  the  trans-
former core protects the differential mode.  The differential protect-
ors  installed  in each power supply dissipate the surges locally  and
since each takes a small part of the surge energy, no concentration of
damage will likely occur.

 4. Fourth order protection

 You may get surge protectors for all communication lines leaving  the
building.   Each  will need a reliable path to a stout  ground.   (DEC
usually  specifies  that the computer frame GREEN WIRE ground be  done
with a heavy gauge wire, and all surge protector grounds be separately
returned  to the distribution transformer secondary neutral  grounding
point.)  You may add Silicon TransZorbs to power supply rails in  data
communications equipment.

 Theory:

 If  one of your comm lines gets hit,  or gets involved in an  induced
surge,  the  elevation in voltage not dissipated by the  protector  is
conducted  through the internal diode clamps included in most IC  line
drivers  and  receivers to a ground or supply rail,  and thence  to  a
TransZorb (a back-to-back zener with a heavy silver anode and thermal-
ly conductive silver leads).   If enough protectors are in place,  the
common-mode  surge is clubbed to death by the collective capability of
all peripheral surge protectors operating together.

 And  that about does it.   Needless to say,  if you do a good job  of
protecting your site,  and one of your neighbors gets hit,  you may be
damaged anyhow by currents resulting from the elevation of your neigh-
bor's electrical ground.   This is especially true in Hawaii (and even
more so on their mountain tops) where the ground is made of lava rock.
If you get hit by lightning, your entire site goes to 25000 volts with
respect  to the surrounding neighborhood.   This bleeds down  to  appx
2000 volts over the next 100 microseconds or so.

 If you have several buildings to worry about, such as may be the case
for a university campus, putting an umbrella protector on every build-
ing  will  only cause the cloud to ground potential to develop to  the
point  that  when  you finally do get a strike,  it will  be  a  *real
killer*.   It  has  been  pointed out elsewhere  that  most  lightning
strikes are from the ground up to the cloud.

 Thus, More Theory (speculation):

 I  suspect that the mechanism is something like this:  Collisions  of
air molecules with each other and the things that make up the  surface
tend to knock electrons off the air molecules.  There are other charge
pair generation mechanisms as well,  such as natural radioactive decay
of Radon 222 and its decay products.   (This specific mechanism is not
my theory - see JGR Vol 90 No D4 Pgs 5909-5916 June 30, 1985, Edward A
Martell,  NCAR.)  The electrons,  because of their charge, are sticky.
They  cling to the surfaces of various semi-insulators (rocks and  dry
dirt)  and  near  the surface of conductors until enough of  them  are
implanted  to  provide a counter electrical field  gradient  to  repel
later  arrivals.   The  positive  air ions are  separated  by  thermal
energy,  and molecular screening prevents the immediate recombination.
The  charge separation is effected by the rising of the warmed  posit-
ively ionized air.

 Once  the charge is separated,  mutual repulsion drives the electrons
into the conductive ground layers.   Later, as the air rises and water
condenses,  positively  charged droplets accumulate in descending  air
columns at the front of the storm just ahead of the rising column.   A
field gradient is thus established with respect to the  ground,  where
all  the electrons are.   As the ground is conductive,  the  electrons
follow  the cloud until,  with the aid of conductive moisture and  the
turbulence of the rising and descending air column interface,  leaders
are  established  and  a strike path is ionized and carried  into  the
descending air.  The electrons travel up the path in a flash (parts of
which  will have oscillations at radio frequency) and then  distribute
themselves (at a more leisurely pace,  accompanied with local  flashes
and  secondary flashes) in accordance with upper level gradients until
there  is  nolonger sufficient gradient to ionize  the  cloud-to-cloud
paths.

 Time scales:
 Main   strike   and  individual  secondary  strikes  each  about   10
microseconds.

 Duration  of  ionized  path,  reversals  and  secondaries  about  100
microseconds.

 Duration of high altitude electrical coronae readjustment about 1
 millisecond.

 Localized  differences  in  the final potential may  result  in  some
reverse strikes from a few overcharged negative clouds to the  ground,
or  subsequently  more numerously (after air motion),  cloud to  cloud
"readjustments".

Howard Hull

--

Frank Reid
reid@gold.bacs.indiana.edu

smh@mhuxu.UUCP (09/22/87)

In article <14917@topaz.rutgers.edu>, ron@topaz.rutgers.edu.UUCP writes:
> Telephone lightening arresters are commonly used on all circuits these
> days.  Surge protectors for phone lines are also available, but their
> use is less common.

Yes, the phone company installs primary protectors where the wires enter
your home.  These are designed to keep the voltage on the phone line from
rising above 600 to 1000 volts depending upon the model, and the number
of times that it has been zapped.  I found out the hard way that this is
not good enough to protect some modems.  Now I use a secondary lightning
protector on all lines with modems.  These are available from such places
as Inmac for $59.  I have had two of the Inmac protectors smoked (burned
up) by lightning strikes but they saved the modem in each case.  If some
one knows of a better protector I would be interested.  I am on the end
of a long telephone line that runs through a valley.  Whenever a storm
hits the valley, our phone rings on every strike.  However, only when
we get a strike in our yard do we get the protectors smoked.

> > Telephone lightening arresters are commonly used on all circuits these
> > days...
>
> Yes, the phone company installs primary protectors where the wires enter
> your home.  These are designed to keep the voltage on the phone line from
> rising above 600 to 1000 volts depending upon the model, and the number
> of times that it has been zapped.  I found out the hard way that this is
> not good enough to protect some modems...

It is worth knowing that the phone company does not give two hoots about
what happens to *your* equipment.  They are only interested in protecting
their own; that is what those protectors are for.  And by the way, they
care a lot more about the lines and the exchanges than about the phone in
your house, even if you are renting it from them.  Keeping your equipment
intact is strictly your problem.
--
"There's a lot more to do in space   |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
than sending people to Mars." --Bova | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry

> It is worth knowing that the phone company does not give two hoots about
> what happens to *your* equipment.  They are only interested in protecting
> their own; that is what those protectors are for...

I've been taken to task for this in private mail, and should amend it
slightly.  The main purpose of the phone company's protectors on lines
is prevention of shock and fire hazards.  Protection of subscriber-end
equipment actually did play some role in setting their protection
standards, but the equipment they were thinking of was the phones and
modems that were current at the time... generally rather more robust
than much of today's equipment.