[sci.electronics] another LCD screen queuery

GOT@PSUVMA.BITNET (09/28/87)

Someone asked about LCD screens, and someone else said go and buy a
portable computer and rip it apart...I'm interested in a three or
four line display with maybe 30 or 40 columns and backlighting...
I've seen them in copying machines and digital synths.

Anyone know where to find such beasties...I've looked in my sparse
assortment of catalogs and found nothing.

Sunil Gupta
Engineering Computer Lab
PSU...
(I could care less if we were national champs)

psfales@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Pete Fales) (09/29/87)

In article <21003GOT@PSUVMA>, GOT@PSUVMA.BITNET writes:
> Someone asked about LCD screens, and someone else said go and buy a
> portable computer and rip it apart...I'm interested in a three or
> four line display with maybe 30 or 40 columns and backlighting...
> I've seen them in copying machines and digital synths.
>
> Anyone know where to find such beasties...I've looked in my sparse
> assortment of catalogs and found nothing.

Optrex Corporation makes  a nice line of small LCD displays.  They
go from 16 to 40 characters and from 1 to 4 lines.   The DMC 20434
is 20 characters by 4 lines.  I don't know much about prices, but
I recently purchased as 20 by 2 display for a single quantity price
of $25.00.

These have all the driver electronics included and work through a simple
4 or 8 bit parallel interface.  They require only a 5 volt power supply
and are very easy to use.
--
Peter Fales		UUCP:	...ihnp4!ihlpe!psfales
			work:	(312) 979-7784

ken@rochester.UUCP (09/30/87)

|Someone asked about LCD screens, and someone else said go and buy a
|portable computer and rip it apart...I'm interested in a three or
|four line display with maybe 30 or 40 columns and backlighting...
|I've seen them in copying machines and digital synths.

I saw a bunch in our local surplus store. I think they were 1x32 or
2x32. Looked simple to interface, two 8-bit parallel ports. You could
slap two together. See your local surplus pusher.

	Ken

garyf@jplpro.UUCP (09/30/87)

In article <21003GOT@PSUVMA> GOT@PSUVMA.BITNET writes:
>I'm interested in a three or
>four line display with maybe 30 or 40 columns and backlighting...
>
>Anyone know where to find such beasties...I've looked in my sparse
>assortment of catalogs and found nothing.
>
>Sunil Gupta

IEE Daystar Nova (tm) series LCD displays seem to fit your requirements.
They have a high contrast ratio, built-in drivers, and backlit versions
are available.  (They are a bit tricky to instruct, however.  The four
line display is actually two 2-line displays, and must be treated as
such when writing to it.)

My 4x40 character screen cost ~$220.  They can be ordered directly
from the manufacturer:

IEE Industrial Products Division
7740 Lemona Ave.
Van Nuys, CA 91405
(818) 787-0311

Gary Friedman                 Jet Propulsion Laboratory - NASA
4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, CA.  91109      (818) 354-0410
Uucp: {cit-vax,elroy,psivax}!jplpro!garyf
Arpa: jplpro!garyf@cit-vax.ARPA -or- garyf@jplpro.JPL.NASA.GOV

dje@datacube.UUCP (10/01/87)

Try  Densitron  Corp.    of  America,  (213)530-3530.   They make all
different LCD and plasma displays.

 				Dave Erickson
  ------      Datacube Inc.
 /    /|      4 Dearborn Rd.