[sci.electronics] AC current carrier modem

khayo@sonia.UUCP (09/30/87)

Once again, sorry for cluttering the group - can't mail.
In article <1987Sep26.212814.921@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> lharris@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Leonard Harris) wrote:
>(...) I was thinking of putting together a current carrier
>modem so I could zap files from a computer in the basement to one upstairs
>without tying up the phone lines.

To which I replied with a reference to BYTE "about 1.5 yr. ago."
Whew, time sure flies by... it's August 83, p.36 (Circuit Cellar).
The thing is based on Exars 2206 & 2211, so it's 300b using FSK.
Looks simple. There is also a minor follow-up a few months after
that in "Circ. Cell. Reader's Feedback" regarding sources for one
??? uF/600V cap that is apparently hard to find. If you don't have
easy access to BYTE (I hope RCMP has enough sense to intercept every
issue at the border & dump it in the trash :-)) let me know, I'll
xerox the article. BTW, the rag has no annual index - I figure you
owe me and my dusty fingers a Moosehead!!! Regards - Eric

copp@wind.UUCP (10/03/87)

You might buy a commercial carrier current FM intercom and modify it.
Among other things, this solves the power supply and case problem.
I bought a pair from RS--they are periodically on sale for $40.