[sci.electronics] Opening potted modules

max@eros.uucp (Max Hauser) (10/05/87)

Jeff Segawa and I concur on the importance of an informed public to deal
with pernicious specsmanship. Now as far a potted modules, I post a
followup because this may be of interest to others too.

In article <907@uhccux.UUCP> cm450s02@uhccux.UUCP (jeff t. segawa) writes:

>By the way, what is Dynasolve, and how do I get small batches of it?
>I'm curious to see what's inside those old Mark Levinson and
>Audio Research modules.

Dynasolve (tm) 160 is a proprietary epoxy solvent that depolymerizes
the plastic and causes it to flake away. It is very handy for finding
out what is inside of cast epoxy modules. By the way, if the
manufacturer of the module is small or amateurish, they may not be
using epoxy at all but a simpler polymer like an acrylic or styrene.
These are less inert than cast epoxy and can be dissolved with
more-readily-available organic solvents, obtainable from plastics
shops.

I regret that I can't remember the manufacturer of Dynasolve; it was
several years ago as I said (and there may be different products now).
It was one of the firms specializing in chemicals for electronic
manufacturing (GC?). In any event it is simple enough to find out, by
the means one normally uses to locate a product: either ask an
industrial dealer who carries similar things, or look it up in the
Thomas Register (in any public or institutional library).

My application was reverse-engineering commercial analog function
modules (op amps and the like), and also one or two early dbx products
as I recall, purely for my own interest. The Dynasolve (a liter would
handle six or eight typical brownie-sized modules) is exotic stuff,
very toxic, and must be handled with some care (cast epoxy is strong
as steel and so hard to depolymerize that many engineers are unaware
it can even be done).  Among other things, if the epoxy module
contains any transistors in epoxy packages (like TO-105 or -106
packages) -- and most op amps did, at that time -- then the epoxy top
of the package dissolves too and you see the transistor die and
bonding wires, naked on their ceramic header. It can also make
resistor color bands hard to see, but you can still easily obtain the
schematic diagram, and often the component values as well.

I bet that once you get them opened, you will be shocked at the low
technology inside (like Dick Pierce and I both were).

Max Hauser / max@eros.berkeley.edu / ...{!decvax}!ucbvax!eros!max