[sci.electronics] Question on Autoreversing cassette recorders

dino@ddsw1.UUCP (10/01/87)

Does anyone here know anything about a way to add an 'autoreversing'
mechanism to a cassette tape player that doesnt' have this feature already?
Any advice or pointers to information would be appreciated.

--
Dino               ....ihnp4!ddsw1!dino
(Laura Watson)

philm@astroatc.UUCP (10/02/87)

In article <212@ddsw1.UUCP> dino@ddsw1.UUCP (Laura Watson) writes:
>Does anyone here know anything about a way to add an 'autoreversing'
>mechanism to a cassette tape player that doesnt' have this feature already?
>Any advice or pointers to information would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, most, if not all, forward-only playing cassette machines
physically, mechanically and spiritually can never be retrofitted for
autoreverse without major restructuring of the tape transport and electronics.

Here's why:

(1) In order to play the other side of a cassette after reaching the end of
one side, you have to have sensors to detect the tape has reached the end of
a side - most forward-only decks don't have these sensors (unless, perhaps
the deck is 'auto-stop').

(2) Once the tape has played forwards, the transport must reverse and run at
play speed until the end of the other side - something forward-only decks are
generally incapable of doing.  There's not much one can do about this one
unless the deck in question has a forward/reverse transport and the
manufacturer is only letting you run is one direction.

(3) The deck's electronics would need an overhaul to accomodate a forward/
reverse playback (NOTE: and record and erase, if the machine records) head.
Cassettes have two tracks (mono) or four tracks (stereo), one half of which
are used for one side and the other track(s) for the opposite side. One
side's tracks run along half of the tape - when you flip the tape over, you
bring the other side's tracks to bear on the set of heads to playback, record
and erase (see note above). Only one half of the tape is dealt with at a time
by the standard uni-directional recorder or player.  An autoreverse deck has a
special set of heads that handle all of the tracks for both sides at once.
When the tape reverses, the deck automatically switches the signals
from the one side's portion of the heads to the other side's portion of the
heads.

A Picture (that may or may not help) :

=========================== Side 2's track(s), read with the tape going <----
=========================== Side 1's track(s), read with the tape going ---->
A slice of a cassette tape, normal forward tape direction ---->

A standard forward-only cassette playback (or record or erase) head :

---------
|       |
| ====  |  Note that the active area of the head can only read one side of
---------  the tape at a time - you have to flip the tape over to read the
		   other side.

An autoreverse cassette playback (or record or erase) head :

---------
| ====  |
| ====  |  Note that the active area of the head can read both sides of
---------  the tape at a time - however, in order to read side 2 going the
		   right direction, the tape has to be going in reverse from the
           normal side 1 direction.

I hope this explanation helped those who needed it and didn't bore to death
those who could care less or already knew how their cassette machines work.

--
Kirk  : Bones ?                |  Phil Mason, Astronautics Technology Center
Bones : He's dead Jim.         |  Madison, Wisconsin - "Eat Cheese or Die!"

boris@athena.mit.edu (Boris N Goldowsky) (10/05/87)

About hacking your tape player to be bidirectional:

Would it be easier, perhaps, to physically flip the tape over rather than try to
retrofit the heads, motors, etc. to play it backwards?  I've seen tape players
that do this (though of course they were built that way in the first place).

Boris Goldowsky

boris@athena.mit.edu
or	@adam.pika.mit.edu

dino@ddsw1.UUCP (Laura Watson) (10/06/87)

In article <1555@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> boris@athena.mit.edu (Boris N Goldowsky) writes:
>Would it be easier, perhaps, to physically flip the tape over rather than try to
>retrofit the heads, motors, etc. to play it backwards?  I've seen tape players
>that do this (though of course they were built that way in the first place).

Well, that would depend on what you were using it for.  If you were trying to
listen to something over and over again in your sleep, it'd be a realy pain
to keep waking up to turn it over.... or if you were very busy and didn't
want to have to be bothered with turning it over or would forget.... or if
you were using your hands for something else and it would seriously
decrease your efficiency to stop to turn it over.....

Of course, as several people have suggested, the best solution is probably
to buy another one.  Thanks.

--
-------
Laura Watson   ...[ihnp4, rutgers!moss, clyde, ulysses, cbosgd]!burt!lkw

May you always have the strength to enjoy your weaknesses.