[sci.electronics] stylus drag

snoopy@doghouse.gwd.tek.com (Snoopy) (10/08/87)

In article <4139@well.UUCP> rab@well.UUCP (Bob Bickford) writes:

><sigh>  If you are able to detect *ANY* variation in the speed of *ANY*
>turntable based on "stylus drag", then it's time to chuck the thing
>in the trash.

A college roommate had a Dual which would run at a different speed
depending on where the stylus was.  You could adjust the speed so that
the strobe was steady midway through the record and the marks would
drift one way at the beginning, stop in the middle, and drift the other
way at the end.

We also used a Watts dust bug, which would add a bit more friction.
I don't remember if we ever tried it without the dust bug.

Snoopy
tektronix!doghouse.gwd!snoopy
snoopy@doghouse.gwd.tek.com