[sci.electronics] Selected high-tech jargon, with applications

max@eros.uucp (Max Hauser) (10/06/87)

Here are some choice high-tech jawbreaker terms, culled in the
course of considerable work in engineering:

1. Asperity-enhanced Fowler-Nordheim tunneling
2. Incomplete-Choleski conjugate-gradient decomposition
3. Steel-backed Babbitt journal bearings
4. Impact-ionization avalanche transit-time diodes
5. Differential proton-precession magnetometer
6. Almost anything from coding theory (e.g., Bose-Chadhauri-Hoecqinghem
      or cross-interleaved Reed-Solomon codes)

Directions for use:

Repeat each expression ten times, or until you can say it naturally.
Then apply liberally if you feel you are in danger of being
understood, just as some people do in technology, not to mention
business.

Also, these expressions are invaluable as a rhetorical trump card,
to salvage a situation that might otherwise be embarassing:

   "OK, if you're so smart, tell me how these library book
   detectors work."

   "Asperity-enhanced Fowler-Nordheim tunneling."

   "Oh."

Max Hauser / max@eros.berkeley.edu / ...{!decvax}!ucbvax!eros!max

dave@onfcanim.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (10/18/87)

In article <1920@ucbcad.berkeley.edu> max@eros.UUCP (Max Hauser) writes:
>Here are some choice high-tech jawbreaker terms, culled in the
>course of considerable work in engineering:
>
>3. Steel-backed Babbitt journal bearings

Careful with this one; auto mechanics (and industrial mechanics in general)
ought to know what these are, and you wouldn't want them laughing at you,
now would you?  Be sure to reserve the terms for people with "higher"
educations than that, and beware of people who do their own car maintenance.