[sci.electronics] Buying Blue LED's

schuster@dasys1.UUCP (Michael Schuster) (10/23/87)

In article <2134@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>	You can buy them through Hamilton-Avnet.  So, now y'all can be the
>first on your block with blue LED's... :-)

Is this a well-known electronics distributor? How can I reach them? Do they
fill orders for small quantities? Do they sell retail?
Thanks.
--
l\  /l'   _  Mike Schuster          {sun!hoptoad,cmcl2!phri}!dasys1!schuster
l \/ lll/(_  Big Electric Cat       schuster@dasys1.UUCP

In article <1761@dasys1.UUCP>, schuster@dasys1.UUCP (Michael Schuster) writes:
> In article <2134@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
> >	You can buy them through Hamilton-Avnet.  So, now y'all can be the
> >first on your block with blue LED's... :-)
>
> Is this a well-known electronics distributor? How can I reach them? Do they
> fill orders for small quantities? Do they sell retail?

	I believe Hamilton-Avnet is the largest wholesale electronic component
distributor in the U.S.  They, like other large industrial distributors, do
not encourage small quantity "retail" business.  However, they probably won't
turn away your business as long as you meet their minimum order requirements
(probably $ 25.00 per order).  That order amount is not difficult to achieve
if you combine other component needs in one order.
	Two distributors for Siemens in your area are: H-A in Hauppauge, NY at
516/434-7438 and Marshall Industries, also in Hauppauge, NY at 516/273-2424.
Perhaps someone can tell me, once and for all, how to pronounce Hauppauge? :-)

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231       {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|seismo|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}   "Have you hugged your cat today?"

mcintyre@csv.rpi.edu (David McIntyre) (10/24/87)

In article <2150@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>	Two distributors for Siemens in your area are: H-A in Hauppauge, NY at
>516/434-7438 and Marshall Industries, also in Hauppauge, NY at 516/273-2424.
>Perhaps someone can tell me, once and for all, how to pronounce Hauppauge? :-)

	Ho - peg		(ho as in ho-ho-ho)
				(peg as in the peg is in the hole)

Dave "mr question" McIntyre     |      "....say you're thinking about a plate
voice:518-276-5842	        |       of shrimp.....and someone says to
mcintyre@csv.rpi.edu		|	you 'plate,' or 'shrimp'......"
userfbth@rpitsmts.bitnet        |

gene@cooper.UUCP (10/28/87)

in article <2150@kitty.UUCP>, larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) says:
> In article <1761@dasys1.UUCP>, schuster@dasys1.UUCP (Michael Schuster) writes:
>> In article <2134@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>>> 	You can buy them through Hamilton-Avnet.  So, now y'all can be the
>>> first on your block with blue LED's... :-)

>> Is this a well-known electronics distributor? How can I reach them? Do they
>> fill orders for small quantities? Do they sell retail?

> turn away your business as long as you meet their minimum order requirements
> (probably $ 25.00 per order).  That order amount is not difficult to achieve
> if you combine other component needs in one order.

Then again, the price of *one* blue LED may just be *more* than $25!!!
This was at the '87 Electro (this past April), and the guy whom I spoke with
was the sales rep for General Instruments. He quoted me "about $32" in small
quantities. Maybe now they're cheaper...

> Perhaps someone can tell me, once and for all, how to pronounce Hauppauge? :-)

Pronounced "HOP-awg" ("hop" as in kangaroo, "awg" as in "rhymes with 'dog'")

					Gene

					...!ihnp4!philabs!phri!cooper!gene

	"If you think I'll sit around as the world goes by,
	 You're thinkin' like a fool 'cause it's case of do or die.
	 Out there is a fortune waitin' to be had.
	 You think I'll let it go? You're mad!
	 You got another thing comin'!"

			- Robert John Aurthur Halford