[sci.electronics] In defense of solid-state devices

max@eros.UUCP (09/27/87)

In article <4124@pyr.gatech.EDU> kludge@pyr.UUCP (Scott Dorsey) writes:

> ... You hit something.  It's trivial to design good sounding audio
> equipment with tubes.  It's damn near impossible to design good
> transistor gear ...

Arghh! This is exactly the argument I heard from my friend John,
18 years ago when we were in high school and building lots of
amplifiers, he usually with tubes and I usually with transistors.
His argument was, essentially, "when I just throw something
together using tubes, it more-or-less-works; but if I do the same
with transistors, it doesn't." (Here I am speaking of basic
amplifiers like preamps and transformer-coupled power amps).

Not even that statement is true, however, given -- and do NOT
overlook this qualification if you respond to me -- equal
background in the two technologies. John, in fact, had been
introduced to electronics through vacuum tubes and had developed a
solid inventory of prejudices and rules-of-thumb that didn't apply
to transistors. He therefore concluded that transistors were more
difficult to use. But if you understand the different devices in
their own right, then it is actually much EASIER to get bipolar
transistors, in particular, to bias up and exhibit predictable gain,
because their critical parameters (transconductance and DC voltage
bias) are largely device-independent, unlike tubes, whose circuits
must sacrifice performance in order to tolerate the "personality"
of each part number and each device within that part number.

But a much stronger statement in favor of transistors is possible.
If you actually tighten up the definition of "design" to mean not
"produce something that more or less works" but rather "understand
precisely what is going on," then there is no comparison between
transistors and tubes as basic amplifier elements, at least among
design engineers. Now I realize that these comments may largely be
wasted, or misinterpreted, in rec.audio, but nevertheless let me
try to state carefully the reason. Bipolar transistors in particular
exhibit nonlinear large-signal terminal characteristics (Ic vs. Vbe)
that are probably the most predictable and consistent nonlinearity
known to electronics (as Gibbons and Horn first pointed out
eloquently in 1963). Every competent designer is aware that, as a
result, a bipolar stage with 1 mA collector current at 27 degrees C
will have a gm of 38.5 mmho and a base-emitter (DC input) voltage of
very nearly 0.6 or 0.7 volt. Vacuum tubes also exhibit a large-signal
nonlinearity of the same critical kind, but its very *shape*, let
alone numbers, depends on device construction, unit-unit variation,
and age. It is not even possible to predict stage gain and DC bias
in the same way as with bipolar devices, and therefore, unless you
lard the circuit through with trimmers and align it periodically,
you actually are *stuck* at the level of "producing something that
more or less works" -- brute force, not true design. This is why,
if you move beyond the level of circuits-that-more-or-less-work,
there is much less argument in favor of tubes, even in simple
amplifiers.

There are also, of course, whole genres of audio circuits that can
be constructed with bipolars that have no antecedent in tubes,
owing to the precise predictable I-V characteristic of the
transistors. I am speaking of things like "translinear" circuits
(which can give a fundamentally linear -- not just approximately,
or corrected-with-feedback) large-signal input-output relationship;
or the precise variable-gain amplifiers (a subject dear to my heart)
on which depend such products as Dave Blackmer's (the db in dbx)
companding and noise-reduction systems. I'm responsible for a few
other such circuits myself.

The converse is not true, since most anything you can accomplish
with triodes or pentodes can also be done with JFETs or MOSFETs.
These devices share some of the gain and DC-bias predictability
problems of tubes, but much less so, because the I-V characteristics
are mathematically simpler, can be better controlled, and do not
change with age.

True, it is harder to get output swings above about 50 volts p-p,
with common small-signal transistors than with tubes, but then you
rarely need to.  Since you can get transistors with audio-band
voltage noises less than 100 nV RMS (which is to say, 140 dB down
from a one-volt line level), you can still achieve a lot of dynamic
range with a "mere" 50-volt output capability.

Kludge continues:

> ... With modern tubes and design methods microphonics and
> self-oscillation aren't anywhere near the problems that
> they used to be.

I question this: the 12AX7's, 12AU7's, 12AT7's, 6L6's etc. that
are so dear to tubophiles now are not only the same devices used
in the 1950s and 60s, but in many cases actually were themselves
built in the 1950s and 60s. Microphonics in particular are a function
of the tube design.  Perhaps Kludge designs his own tubes;
if so, he's the first such designer I've met (on the other hand,
I design my own transistors: it's cheap and pretty easy).

I would not for a moment question someone's preference for the sound
of a tube preamp or power amp (even if it is more expensive, less
reliable, and has an uncertain future as existing VT stocks get burnt
out, or used by enthusiastic suburban kids as BB-gun targets).
Also, I am not talking about the relative ease of designing good
transformer-coupled tube amps and direct-coupled solid-state amps
(except to note that direct-coupled TUBE amps are also tricky).
However, the broad statement that "transistor amplifiers are harder
to design than tube amplifiers," unless qualified in the sense of
"harder *for me*," is naive and not supported by hard facts.

Incidentally, my friend John, who argued that tube circuits were
"easier to design" 18 years ago, recanted that position after
broader experience (he now designs analog ICs for a living).

Max Hauser / max@eros.berkeley.edu / ...{!decvax}!ucbvax!eros!max

kludge@pyr.gatech.EDU (Scott Dorsey) (09/27/87)

In article <1895@ucbcad.berkeley.edu> max@eros.UUCP (Max Hauser) writes:
>I question this: the 12AX7's, 12AU7's, 12AT7's, 6L6's etc. that
>are so dear to tubophiles now are not only the same devices used
>in the 1950s and 60s, but in many cases actually were themselves
>built in the 1950s and 60s. Microphonics in particular are a function
>of the tube design.  Perhaps Kludge designs his own tubes;
>if so, he's the first such designer I've met (on the other hand,
>I design my own transistors: it's cheap and pretty easy).

   A 12AX7 that is twenty years old is apt to have a very different
internal structure than one constructed today.  In general, most of the
important parameters are the same, but some things have changed, things
like support members to prevent microphonics, things like filament-
cathode coupling, etc.  It's true that microphonics are a function of
the tube design, but the fact that two tubes have the same designation
number does not mean that the design is identical, unfortunately.

>I would not for a moment question someone's preference for the sound
>of a tube preamp or power amp (even if it is more expensive, less
>reliable, and has an uncertain future as existing VT stocks get burnt
>out, or used by enthusiastic suburban kids as BB-gun targets).
>Also, I am not talking about the relative ease of designing good
>transformer-coupled tube amps and direct-coupled solid-state amps
>(except to note that direct-coupled TUBE amps are also tricky).

   What do you need in a stereo?  You need a good power amp.  A rather
simple thing to design using the 'brute force' approach; use big
output tubes running down near the linear end of their curve, use big
output transformers (and put them in the feedback loop, please), and
some form of relatively quiet driver (BY7 video pentode, AX7, etc.).
That's about it.  But to design a transistor amp, you need a lot of rather
sneaky tricks to keep waveform symmetry, try and soup up the slew rate,
and a lot of time is going to have to be spent to make it sound really
good.
   You also need a preamp.  Okay, I admit it, I use Analog Devices chips
for the high-gain input stuff.  They're pretty low noise, easy to work
with, and cheap.  And they are certainly easier to deal with for a high
gain application than tubes are.  But the equalization stuff and the
tone control stuff is all tube, for the same reasons described under the
power amp section.
   You also probably need a signal source.  I've got a tube tape deck,
because I couldn't afford a newer one.  It's pretty clean, and the amount
of amplifier noise is independant of the signal level (which is not true
with transistors, frustratingly).  But there's an integrated dbx box
attached, and an all-IC CD player next to it.
   It's not hard to build a spectacular direct-coupled, resistively-
coupled, capacitively-coupled, etc. tube amp.  Look in the RCA Receiving
tube Handbook.  It requires a lot less tinkering than even the RCA people
claim.  The only transformers in my stereo are in the output of the
power amp and in the power supplies.

>However, the broad statement that "transistor amplifiers are harder
>to design than tube amplifiers," unless qualified in the sense of
>"harder *for me*," is naive and not supported by hard facts.

   If this is true, why are there so few good transistor power amps
out there?  Why are there so few good transistor preamps out there?
Why isn't there any good tuner of any sort out there?
--
Scott Dorsey   Kaptain_Kludge
SnailMail: ICS Programming Lab, Georgia Tech, Box 36681, Atlanta, Georgia 30332

jtn@potomac.UUCP (John T. Nelson) (09/28/87)

So can't amplifiers be constructed so that they use the best
attributes of both tubes and transistors?  Are the two technologies so
mutually exclusive that an amp must be either one or the other?

--

John T. Nelson			UUCP: rutgers!mimsy!rlgvax!sundc!potomac!jtn
Advanced Decision Systems	Internet:  jtn@ads.arpa

			*OOP*  *ACK*
               _   /|
               \'o.O'
               =(___)=

bks@unisoft.UUCP (Brian K. Shiratsuki) (09/28/87)

In article <1996@potomac.UUCP> jtn@potomac.UUCP (John T. Nelson) writes:
>So can't amplifiers be constructed so that they use the best
>attributes of both tubes and transistors?  Are the two technologies so
>mutually exclusive that an amp must be either one or the other?

the NYAL moscode amplifiers are just such a hybrid, using vacuum tubes up
to the output stage, where there are mosfets (``moscode'' <- mosfet + cascode).
i believe the power supply is also solid state.

couldn't find an NYAL dealer around here to listen to one, anyone know
of an NYAL dealer in the bay area?
--

				brian

georgep@vice.UUCP (10/02/87)

In article <1996@potomac.UUCP>, jtn@potomac.UUCP (John T. Nelson) writes:
> So can't amplifiers be constructed so that they use the best
> attributes of both tubes and transistors?  Are the two technologies so
> mutually exclusive that an amp must be either one or the other?

(I can't resist)

How about a nice FET in a glass envelope!!!!

geo

kludge@pyr.gatech.EDU (Scott Dorsey) (10/03/87)

In article <1941@vice.TEK.COM> georgep@vice.TEK.COM (George Pell) writes:
>In article <1996@potomac.UUCP>, jtn@potomac.UUCP (John T. Nelson) writes:
>> So can't amplifiers be constructed so that they use the best
>> attributes of both tubes and transistors?  Are the two technologies so
>> mutually exclusive that an amp must be either one or the other?
>How about a nice FET in a glass envelope!!!!

   Hm..   It's almost like a nuvistor in reverse.  We could call them
'Oldvistors.'  Sell a lot to high-end audio people.  Make a lot of
money, then retire to the Bahamas and buy a Kenwood.  Yeah...

--

georgep@vice.TEK.COM (George Pell) (10/05/87)

In article <4155@pyr.gatech.EDU>, kludge@pyr.gatech.EDU (Scott Dorsey) writes:
> In article <1941@vice.TEK.COM> georgep@vice.TEK.COM (George Pell) writes:
> >How about a nice FET in a glass envelope!!!!
>    Hm..   It's almost like a nuvistor in reverse.  We could call them
> 'Oldvistors.'  Sell a lot to high-end audio people.  Make a lot of
> money, then retire to the Bahamas and buy a Kenwood.  Yeah...

All right!  You contact the glass blowers, I'll get a hold of Motorola.
Anybody know where we can get some octal sockets?  The price on these
things have got to be right, say $250.00 each, or no one will buy them.

geo

kludge@pyr.gatech.EDU (Scott Dorsey) (10/07/87)

In article <1949@vice.TEK.COM> georgep@vice.TEK.COM (George Pell) writes:
>All right!  You contact the glass blowers, I'll get a hold of Motorola.
>Anybody know where we can get some octal sockets?  The price on these
>things have got to be right, say $250.00 each, or no one will buy them.

   Make sure you get gold-plated octal sockets.  They either sound so much
better or cost so much more that people aren't willing to admit that they
really don't sound better.  And check the FETs out to assure people that
they are getting a matched pair.

--

franka@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM (Frank A. Adrian) (10/07/87)

In article <1941@vice.TEK.COM> georgep@vice.TEK.COM (George Pell) writes:
|In article <1996@potomac.UUCP>, jtn@potomac.UUCP (John T. Nelson) writes:
|> the best attributes of both tubes and transistors?
|How about a nice FET in a glass envelope!!!!
Don't forget the little LED for that friendly little glow!!!!!!!!

Frank "I want a few pF's too" Adrian
Mentor Graphics, Inc.

jaym@nuchat.UUCP (Jay Maynard) (10/08/87)

In article <4155@pyr.gatech.EDU>, kludge@pyr.gatech.EDU (Scott Dorsey) writes:
> In article <1941@vice.TEK.COM> georgep@vice.TEK.COM (George Pell) writes:
> >In article <1996@potomac.UUCP>, jtn@potomac.UUCP (John T. Nelson) writes:
> >> [tubes vs. transistors in the same amp]
> >How about a nice FET in a glass envelope!!!!

I thought that's what tubes were...GlassFETs.

>    Hm..   It's almost like a nuvistor in reverse.  We could call them
> 'Oldvistors.'  Sell a lot to high-end audio people.  Make a lot of
> money, then retire to the Bahamas and buy a Kenwood.  Yeah...

There might even be enough to afford that nice new TS-940S you're looking
at. No tubes, either.

(oops...this isn't rec.ham-radio...sorry about that :-)

--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC (@WB5BBW)...>splut!< | temporarily at uunet!nuchat!jaym
Never ascribe to malice that which can | while splut is down (@#*(&$% ST4051!!)

mat@mtx5a.ATT.COM (m.terribile) (10/12/87)

> In article <1941@vice.TEK.COM> georgep@vice.TEK.COM (George Pell) writes:
> |In article <1996@potomac.UUCP>, jtn@potomac.UUCP (John T. Nelson) writes:
> |> the best attributes of both tubes and transistors?
> |How about a nice FET in a glass envelope!!!!
> Don't forget the little LED for that friendly little glow!!!!!!!!

If you want to sell on the audiophile market, you really should get a blue
glow in there; everybody will assume it's a new variation on the Beam Power
Tube.  Convince them that it's a new Ballistic Transport (Beam Power?) FET.
If you have to use a LED, then use green, but be sure to use one that has a
clear plastic lens so that people can't identify it for what it is.  (That
green illumenator LED used behind the power indicator on the Olivet######AT&T
PCs should do the job.)
--

	from Mole End			Mark Terribile
		(scrape .. dig )	mtx5b!mat

cgs@umd5.umd.edu (Chris Sylvain) (10/20/87)

<
< If you want to sell on the audiophile market, you really should get a blue
< glow in there ...

Blue glow did you say? Try a Blue LED. ... Don't laugh, it's a REAL product
looking for a market. Needs about 3.5V across it. It's made from silicon
nitride, and is available in small quantities. They're more a curiousity
than anything else, as no one has come upon a good reason for needing a
Blue LED. The company that makes them (silicon nitride is really tough
stuff; hard to work with) is Japanese.. Masushita (sp?), if I'm remembering
the name correctly.

--
--==---==---==--
.. Beware the Jabberwock, my son! ..

In article <2002@umd5.umd.edu>, cgs@umd5.umd.edu (Chris Sylvain) writes:
> < If you want to sell on the audiophile market, you really should get a blue
> < glow in there ...
>
> Blue glow did you say? Try a Blue LED. ... Don't laugh, it's a REAL product
> looking for a market. Needs about 3.5V across it. It's made from silicon
> nitride, and is available in small quantities. They're more a curiousity
> than anything else, as no one has come upon a good reason for needing a
> Blue LED. The company that makes them (silicon nitride is really tough
> stuff; hard to work with) is Japanese.. Masushita (sp?), if I'm remembering
> the name correctly.

	There are off-the-shelf blue LED's available from Siemens Components,
Optoelectronics Div. (who absorbed Litronix, formerly a major optoelectronics
manufacturer).
	The Siemens P/N is LDB5410, and the illumination is blue at a
wavelength of ~ 480 nm.  The lamp is in a T1-3/4 package.  The Vf is close
to 4.0 volts.  The fabrication technology is silicon carbide.
	We have used these LED's as an internal light source in some
scientific instruments for quite some time.  They look neat as panel
lamps, but that's not the reason why we use them.
	You can buy them through Hamilton-Avnet.  So, now y'all can be the
first on your block with blue LED's... :-)

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231       {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|seismo|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}   "Have you hugged your cat today?"

adam@cunixc.columbia.edu (Adam J. Kucznetsov) (10/21/87)

In article <2002@umd5.umd.edu> cgs@umd5 (Chris Sylvain) writes:

>Blue glow did you say? Try a Blue LED. ... Don't laugh, it's a REAL product
>looking for a market. Needs about 3.5V across it. It's made from silicon
>nitride, and is available in small quantities. They're more a curiousity
>than anything else, as no one has come upon a good reason for needing ...

How about a solid-state RGB display? No, I suppose that would be a bit
impractical (LEDs, esp. blue LEDs, are sorta expensive I think) but I
think it >HAS< been considered at one point or another. I don't know if
any prototypes were ever built.

I always wanted a blue LED. It's been some kind of personal quest for
me, ever since I heard of the (laboratory) existence of the beastie. I
guess it's 'cause my favorite color as a kid was blue... i didn't think
it was fair that the only colors available were red, green, yellow, and
(well) infra-red.

>   ARPA: cgs@umd5.UMD.EDU     BITNET: cgs%umd5@umd2
>   UUCP: ..!uunet!umd5.umd.edu!cgs

adam(Cat)

Cat (Adam) J. Kucznetsov	adam@cunixc.columbia.edu and cunixc.UUCP
Columbia University, NYC	UI.ADAM@CU20B.BITNET  AJUUS@CUVMA.BITNET
     When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

mikkel@cg-atla.UUCP (Carl Mikkelsen) (10/21/87)

In article <2002@umd5.umd.edu> cgs@umd5 (Chris Sylvain) writes:

>Blue glow did you say? Try a Blue LED. ... Don't laugh, it's a REAL product
>looking for a market. Needs about 3.5V across it. It's made from silicon
>nitride, and is available in small quantities. They're more a curiousity
>than anything else, as no one has come upon a good reason for needing a
>Blue LED. The company that makes them (silicon nitride is really tough
>stuff; hard to work with) is Japanese.. Masushita (sp?), if I'm remembering
>the name correctly.
>
>   ARPA: cgs@umd5.UMD.EDU     BITNET: cgs%umd5@umd2
>   UUCP: ..!uunet!umd5.umd.edu!cgs

I am looking for such a LED!  Does anyone have any further leads?
I've talked with HP and some other opto sources without luck.

Thanks,

	Carl

      +--------------------------+--------------------------------+
      | Carl Mikkelsen           |   ..!ism780c\                  |
      |                          | ..!cbosgd!ima>!cg-atla!mikkel  |
      | Compugraphic Corporation |   ..!ulowell/                  |
      | 200 Ballardvale St.	 |   ..!decvax/                   |
      | Wilmington, Ma. 01887    | (617) 658-5600 x 5220 (voice)  |
      |                          | (617) 658-0200 x 5220 (TT-auto)|
      +--------------------------+--------------------------------+

king@dciem.UUCP (Stephen King) (10/22/87)

In article <2002@umd5.umd.edu> cgs@umd5 (Chris Sylvain) writes:
>Blue LED. The company that makes them (silicon nitride is really tough
>stuff; hard to work with) is Japanese.. Masushita (sp?), if I'm remembering
>the name correctly.

I beg to differ. Blue LED's are made by Siemens in Europe (originally),
although the Japanese may have them now also. (Matsushita)   ...sjk

--
 * Defence & Civil Institute *		...!utzoo!dciem!king
 * of Environmental Medicine *		Stephen J King

howard@cpocd2.UUCP (Howard A. Landman) (10/22/87)

In article <2017@mtx5a.ATT.COM> mat@mtx5a.ATT.COM (m.terribile) writes:
>If you want to sell on the audiophile market, you really should get a blue
>glow in there; everybody will assume it's a new variation on the Beam Power
>Tube.  [...]  If you have to use a LED, then use green, [...]

Why not blue?  Blue-light LEDs (made with, I believe, silicon carbide) are
readily available, just a little expensive.  For this application, cost is
clearly not a major factor.

Now if HP would just release a blue version of their 101-LED bar graph
display (currently available in red and green) ...

--
	Howard A. Landman
	{oliveb,hplabs}!intelca!mipos3!cpocd2!howard	<- works

daveb@eneevax.UUCP (David Bengtson) (10/23/87)

In article <970@cg-atla.UUCP> mikkel@cg-atla.UUCP (Carl Mikkelsen) writes:
>In article <2002@umd5.umd.edu> cgs@umd5 (Chris Sylvain) writes:
>>
>>Blue glow did you say? Try a Blue LED. ... Don't laugh, it's a REAL product
>>looking for a market. Needs about 3.5V across it. It's made from silicon
>>nitride, and is available in small quantities. They're more a curiousity
>>than anything else, as no one has come upon a good reason for needing a
>>Blue LED. The company that makes them (silicon nitride is really tough

  Ok, I'll do My bit to increase the S/N ratio of this group. My 87 VW
GTI has a Blue LED as the High Beam Indicator. It kinda stands out nicely
from the Red Idiot lights. All of the related VW models probably have the
same setup, so there is at least one makret for them.

chan@thoth13.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU (10/23/87)

In article <1075@eneevax.UUCP> daveb@eneevax.umd.edu.UUCP (David Bengtson) writes:

>  Ok, I'll do My bit to increase the S/N ratio of this group. My 87 VW
>GTI has a Blue LED as the High Beam Indicator. It kinda stands out nicely
>from the Red Idiot lights. All of the related VW models probably have the
>same setup, so there is at least one makret for them.

Time for a single-ended little noise reduction (:-):  If you look in the VW
manual, you will notice that the red and green indicators are indeed LEDs, but
that the high beam indicator is an incandescent lamp with a curved blue filter
in front of it. (I WISH that they used a blue LED, just to be wierd!)

Jeff C.

ross@raster.UUCP (Ross Werner) (10/26/87)

>In article <2017@mtx5a.ATT.COM> mat@mtx5a.ATT.COM (m.terribile) writes:
>>If you want to sell on the audiophile market, you really should get a blue
>>glow in there; everybody will assume it's a new variation on the Beam Power
>>Tube.  [...]  If you have to use a LED, then use green, [...]

You guys are really behind.  The Bedini power amp beat you all to it.
They grind off the TO-3 cans on the power transistors (by hand, of course!)
and fill them with some "proprietary crytalline substance" that "improves
transient speed" and lots of other such bull.  AND THEY GLOW IN THE DARK!

New! Improved!  The speed and punch of transistors!  The warm glow of tubes!

The manufacturer is in southern California - maybe that explains it.

Ross

(I'm allowed to make jokes about southern CA, I grew up there.)

pete@tcom.stc.co.uk (Peter Kendell) (10/29/87)

in article <935@cpocd2.UUCP>, howard@cpocd2.UUCP (Howard A. Landman) says:

> Why not blue?  Blue-light LEDs (made with, I believe, silicon carbide) are
> readily available, just a little expensive.  For this application, cost is
> clearly not a major factor.
>
> Now if HP would just release a blue version of their 101-LED bar graph
> display (currently available in red and green) ...

	The only application I have ever seen for blue LEDs is the
	full-beam indicator in the instrument cluster of a VW Polo
	(and presumably other models too).

	Red, green and blue... Why have no manufacturers that I've
	heard of tried to make a large-scale full-colour TV display
	with these beasts?
|		  Peter Kendell <pete@tcom.stc.co.uk>	        	     |
|				...{uunet!}mcvax!ukc!stc!pete		     |