[sci.electronics] And you thought you've heard everything!

snoopy@doghouse.gwd.tek.com (Snoopy) (10/29/87)

[ followups have been set to rec.audio only ]

Okay, gang, you think you've heard everything, right?  WRONG!
Check out the October issue of _Hi-Fi Answers_ (a magazine from the UK).
The article "Gifts Of Unknown Things" is absolute *must* reading!
Some brief quotes:

  "Linn noticed how a telephone and battery-operated alarm watch caused a
  similar deterioration in sound quality to an extra loudspeaker, and
  once again the sympathetic vibrations theory was used to explain it.  The
  flaw here is that battery watches without an alarm mess up the sound
  just as much as those with."

  "Further tests showed that a battery on its own -- especially if wired
  with a resistor across its terminals to make it pass current -- caused
  deterioration in sound quality."

Obviously they should have used a metal film resistor and wired it
with 4 gauge finely stranded oxygen free wire.  :-)

  "Next he found that sound quality improved when various objects within
  the room -- a brick fireplace, a door -- were wiped with the treated foam."

Gee, I wonder if I could use my zerostat to treat my fireplace, or
if I need the official foam?

  "But the biggest surprise came when Peter tried treating the battery with
  a resistor across its terminals -- to his amazement he found that this
  item actually improved the sound in the room after it had been wiped."

  "The answer turned out to be simple: leaked energy from the AC mains supply.
  This was having the effect of ionising the air which in turn created a
  complex network of charge potentials across the surface of conductive
  objects.  The presence of stray electromagnetic fields interacting with
  this leaked AC field seemed greatly to increase the ionising effects,
  thereby worsening the sound."

Obviously, Peter Belt is either a genius or a lunatic.  I suppose the
first question is: by what mechanism could ions affect the sound?

Snoopy
tektronix!doghouse.gwd!snoopy
snoopy@doghouse.gwd.tek.com

wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (Wolfgang Rupprecht) (10/30/87)

In article <9312@tekecs.TEK.COM> snoopy@doghouse.gwd.tek.com (Snoopy) writes:
> [ a quote from Peter Belt from _Hi-Fi_Answers_ ]
>  "The answer turned out to be simple: leaked energy from the AC mains supply.
>  This was having the effect of ionising the air which in turn created a
>  complex network of charge potentials across the surface of conductive
>  objects.  The presence of stray electromagnetic fields interacting with
>  this leaked AC field seemed greatly to increase the ionising effects,
>  thereby worsening the sound."

Well, Peter does sound like he has a great career ahead of him. Is he
into radio communications with the dead also? ;-)

Seriously, I have told of reports about exposure to various
electrically induced fields.  The claim is that large ion flows, and
large ac magnetic fields as by power-lines, both effect you slightly,
but in entirely different ways.

The claim is that large ion flows (ie. from a terminal that has a
cheap *very* non-conductive screen), will "bathe" you in this flux.
This has the effect of sticking charge on facial hairs, insulating
skin flakes etc. No ill effects come from this charge directly (the
human body is *quite* conductive, once you get past the insulation of
the skin's outer surface). The effects come from: 1) the negatively
charged particles (ie. including half of the smoke, dust and dirt in
the world) that is constantly flowing away from the screen, being
repelled by the ions which are also moving away, and 2) the positively
charged particles (the other half of the smoke, dust and dirt) that
also get stuck to your skin, after being attracted by the negative
charge just stuck there, and trapped in the surface oils, etc.
Luckily the two effects tend to cancel out each other.

So is that why comp-u-nerds have most of the world's supply of acne? ;-)

I have seen quite a range of surface charges on various CRT screens.
The old VT-100, that I had once, worked better than most electostatic
air cleaners. I never needed a glare-guard for that. It attracted its
own (self healing) matte-surface. Other terminals don't even make the
finer hairs on the back of your hand stand up when you hold your hand
near the screen. (Actually, a conductive spray, as used to protect
CMOS work environments, would probably work wonders for cheap crt
screens.)

On ac magnetic fields:

I heard a bit on NPR a few months back about a high tension power line
study. It claimed higher levels of stress on subjects exposed to 60hz
magnetic fields for long durations. They went on to say that strong
e-fields (such as found near high voltage lines) had no noticable
effects. I'm not sure how one can verify "stress levels". What does
ring true about it is that the human body does have quite a low
impedence internally.  Any exterior e-field would be attenuated
(inside the body) by the ratio of the air's resistance to the body's,
a very large number to be sure. This same low impedence makes it easier
to induce small currents by alternating magnetic fields.

Now, how does this effect Peter Belt's stereo? Well, if Peter lived
near both a high tension power line, and a cheap terminal manufacturer
... ;-)
Wolfgang Rupprecht	UUCP: mirror!mit-mgm!wolfgang
			ARPA: wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (IP addr 18.82.0.114)