[sci.electronics] Is there demand for a boolean eq evaluator?

acm@bu-cs.BU.EDU (ACM) (10/18/87)

I don't know how much demand there will be for this but I thought I'd
offer.  A friend of mine requested that I write a program to evaluate
all possible inputs to an array of boolean equations.  It seems that
this is somewhat useful if you're building PAL chips, which is
reasonable if you ask me.

Well, I finished it.  It runs through a file of equations and dumps
out a table of all possible inputs to the equations and the output
each equation will get based on those inputs.  It has no programmed
maximum number of inputs or equations, although your computer's memory
limitations will give actual limits.  The data structures I built are
very compact, though, so the limitation you'll probably run into is
paper -- 30 or 40 inputs will print out a lot of stuff.

If I get around to it I may also build an expression simplifier --
make sure the supplied expression is the most reduced one possible.
Depends on if I have time.

Any takers?  Source is copyrighted but free.  If I get enough replies
I'll post the whole deal; otherwise I'll email to individual sites.

I couldn't think of any other newsgroups that might deal with this
kind of thing but if you know of any please email me so I can post
requests there too.

Cheers,
jim

finegan@uccba.UUCP (Mike Finegan) (11/03/87)

In article <14401@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, acm@bu-cs.BU.EDU (ACM) writes:

> If I get around to it I may also build an expression simplifier --
> make sure the supplied expression is the most reduced one possible.
> Depends on if I have time.

 Cadtools (Berkeley) contains espresso & eqntott, the first does
minimization (near optimal - you may be able to pull some sleight of hand),
the second creates a truth table from the equations, I believe that is
the input to espresso. They are unix compatible - I don't think they
require unix, though. I am sure that they are copyrighted, but I don't
think they cost a lot (if at all for educational). We used them in a finite
automata class. Maybe your program could use similar format ? Anyhow, I
am interested.
			..!{hal,pyramid,mit-eddie,decuac)!uccba!finegan