[sci.electronics] Working Laser To Buy???

gene@cooper.UUCP (10/28/87)

in article <3066@whuts.UUCP>, ajg@whuts.UUCP (GAETA) says:
> In article <4110002@hpcvra.HP.COM>, johnm@hpcvra.HP.COM (John McVey) writes:
>> I have a Spectra-Physics model 120 stabilite laser for sale.  It has stopped
>> working but should be good for parts or fixing up.  It is a 5mW HE-NE tube
>> with separate power supply.  Asking $50.

Anyone know where to get a more powerful, yet relatively portable (no water
cooling equipment or rare-gas tanks) and a matching supply? How about a
"phase-plasma rifle in the 40 watt range"? (I'm serious.)

					Gene

					...!ihnp4!philabs!phri!cooper!gene

hildum@iris.ucdavis.edu (Eric Hildum) (10/29/87)

In article <1054@cooper.cooper.EDU> gene@cooper.cooper.EDU (Gene from EK Enterprises) writes:

>Anyone know where to get a more powerful, yet relatively portable (no water
>cooling equipment or rare-gas tanks) and a matching supply? How about a
>"phase-plasma rifle in the 40 watt range"? (I'm serious.)
>
>					Gene

Just what are you planning to do with such a beast??  That power level
in a laser is extremely dangerous. The damage threshold for the human
eye is measured in milliwatts - this would be well into class IV (to
put it mildly) operation. Please be very, very, very careful.

				Eric

johnm@hpcvra.HP.COM (John McVey) (11/07/87)

I did like the 'Terminator' quote though....

John McVey

dcm@sfsup.UUCP (David C. Miller, consultant) (11/10/87)

In article <418@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> hildum@iris.UUCP (Eric Hildum) writes:
>Just what are you planning to do with such a beast??  That power level

Be vewy vewy qwiet!  We're hunting Twactor twailers!  Heh heh heh heh heh!