[sci.electronics] Small steam/air turbines and generators

milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) (11/13/87)

Does anyone know of a source for small steam turbines?  Anything from the
size of a dentist's drill on up to something that could generate several
horsepower when properly geared.

Also I am looking for a source of small generators which could be connected
to the various sizes of steam turbine mentioned above.

The purpose is a battery replacement system that runs off available heat
or steam power.  The small version would be intended to power low load
devices or trickle charge batteries.  A large version might power a small
portable computer.

Any other type of commercially available heat engine (ie: a sterling
engine) that might take the place of the steam turbine would also be
a possiblity.

I'm looking for stuff that is available out of stock and wouldn't requre
me to do any custom metalwork.  I just want to bolt the items together
and watch it spin.  Low cost is more important than efficiency, this is
just ment to be a demonstration experiment.

fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (11/18/87)

In article <300@ndmath.UUCP>, milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) writes:

> Also I am looking for a source of small generators which could be connected
> to the various sizes of steam turbine mentioned above.
>
> The purpose is a battery replacement system that runs off available heat
> or steam power.  The small version would be intended to power low load
> devices or trickle charge batteries.  A large version might power a small
> portable computer.

You might try looking to some advertisers in "Live Steam",
a magazine for steam/sterling cycle enthusiasts.  Try looking for
it in a good hobby shop.  It will give you pointers to local
live steam associations.  They're mostly filled with (large)
model train fanatics, but almost always include stationary
engine enthusiasts.  Those are the people who will have solved
most of your potential problems already.

Some of the advertisers would be Lindsey Publication (for plans
and whatnot) or "Saturated Steam" who sell plans kits and finished
steam engines.

By the way, piston steam engines are pretty widely available in
various sizes ranging from fit-in-a-thimble to power-your-30-ft-
boat versions.  A piston engine almost certainly will be cheaper
than an equivalent-power turbine.

	seh

p.s.  Whatever the actual efficiency (if you've already got a
source of heat/steam, who cares), a steam-electric generator
will almost certainly be quieter than an equal-output gasoline
fueled generator.