[sci.electronics] What's the latest in metal detectors ?

petel@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Pete Lancashire) (11/06/87)

What is the latest in metal detectors (the coin finder type not
the nail locators) ?
I've been playing around with one that is about 10 years old.
Also can anyone recommend any mail order/discount houses ?

Pete Lancashire
petel@teksce.sce.tek
..!tektronix!tekgen!teksce!petel

robert@uop.EDU (Robert McCaul--The Equalizer) (11/07/87)

In article <803@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM>, petel@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Pete Lancashire) writes:
> What is the latest in metal detectors (the coin finder type not
> the nail locators) ?

white's Eagle, digital, 95 memories, awesome!

White's electronics of california
1566 Fourth Street
San Rafael, Ca. 94901
(415) 457-0874

their home office is in oregon, and i don't have that address currently

the man at whites of ca. does lots of training and designing himself
the "Sierra pro" is designed by and named after him...

James "Jimmy Sierra" Normandi

i have used all the whites machines, and the 6000 di pro and the eagle
are WELL WORTH the money...

there is essentially no big difference between the eagle and the 6000
other than the eagle does everything automatically!!

and with the memories preset, it works great, but you are able to do
sneaky things like NOT look for hinges and nails etc..

there was a demonstration where a guy from whites took 95 different
rings (gold silver etc.) and programmed them into the eagle...

he then went to a park (his favorite spot) and went over the are with
a 6000 di pro.  he found coins and such...

then he went over it with the eagle...(only programmed for rings)

and low and behold...4 rings turn up, that the 6000 did not see!!

this is not to say, it could not have been set to see them...

but the eagle's advantage was in the programming...no knobs to tweak,
just swipe ring types under the head, and tell the program...

"remember what this is" and off you go!!

they are also waterproof up to the box, so you can stick the mother
in a stream and look for gold, it will read a flake of say 1/32-1/16th
inch at about 4" under the ground..

yes eagle's and 6000's all compensate for ground mineralization

this time of year is a good time to buy too, as all the accesories go
on sale and the prices come down for christmass...

how do i know??

our store (where i work to pay for school) sells the damn things!!

they really are worth it though, i have never seen a whites come back
because someone was not happy with it, or due to it being a bad device
in any way...

yes we went through the run of all the other brands over the years, we
settled with whites because they are good, and they don't come back.

if you want, send an SASE (manilla envelope with 2 stamps!) to me
and i can send along all the folders we have--and we have a stack of
them...to

6618 pacific ave.
stockton, ca. 95207

attn. whites info
---
       ...mcvax!uunet!mit-eddie!garp!ames!\
		                 ...uwvax!ucbvax!ucdavis!\
                              ...princeton!rutgers!retix!--uop!robert
uop!robert@ <  ucdavis.bitnet        ...sun!ptsfa!cogent!/
             \ ucdavis.ucdavis.edu.arpa

robert@uop.EDU (Robert McCaul--The Equalizer) (11/08/87)

ok, now i am at work, i can post off the terminal from here...

whites of oregon...

1011 pleasant valley road
sweet home oregon 97386
(503) 367-2138
(800) 547-6911

that should do it!!

happy hunting!

snoopy@doghouse.gwd.tek.com (Snoopy) (11/12/87)

In article <707@uop.EDU> robert@uop.EDU (Robert McCaul--The Equalizer) writes:

>they are also waterproof up to the box, so you can stick the mother
>in a stream and look for gold, it will read a flake of say 1/32-1/16th
>inch at about 4" under the ground..

Big deal, when are they going to make one that can find contact lenses?

Snoopy
tektronix!doghouse.gwd!snoopy
snoopy@doghouse.gwd.tek.com

In article <9366@tekecs.TEK.COM>, snoopy@doghouse.gwd.tek.com (Snoopy) writes:
> >they are also waterproof up to the box, so you can stick the mother
> >in a stream and look for gold, it will read a flake of say 1/32-1/16th
> >inch at about 4" under the ground..
>
> Big deal, when are they going to make one that can find contact lenses?

	No problem!  Just be certain to have your contact lenses metallized.

[not funny, unless you have been following a discussion in another newsgroup]

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|utzoo|uunet}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}   "Have you hugged your cat today?"

robert@uop.EDU (/dev/null) (11/20/87)

In article <9366@tekecs.TEK.COM>, snoopy@doghouse.gwd.tek.com (Snoopy) writes:
> In article <707@uop.EDU> robert@uop.EDU (Robert McCaul--The Equalizer) writes:
> Big deal, when are they going to make one that can find contact lenses?

well, if you have *your* lenses treated for thermal radiance
(a coating for storm windows uses some form of metal that is
fumed onto the surface)

maybe you could do that, and sell them with a lens finder!!

of course a micro grain of plutonium would work too...   ;-)

if you own a scintillation counter or geiger counter!