[sci.electronics] headphone jacks for microphone input to aviation radios

warnock@hubcap.UUCP (Todd Warnock) (11/09/87)

Does anyone know where I can find a supplier for the smaller jacks
used as microphone jacks in avionics ?  The headphone jacks are 1/4",
but I'm not sure what the mic jacks are or where to find them -

Thanks for the help.

Todd Warnock
UUCP:  ...hubcap!warnock
ARPA:  warnock@prism.clemson.edu
BITnet: Warnock@Clemson

dick@plx.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) (11/09/87)

Expires:

In article <633@hubcap.UUCP> warnock@hubcap.UUCP (Todd Warnock) writes:
>Does anyone know where I can find a supplier for the smaller jacks
>used as microphone jacks in avionics ?  The headphone jacks are 1/4",
>but I'm not sure what the mic jacks are or where to find them -

Look for stores that sell to the electronics hobby crowd, such as
Amateur (ham) or CB radio supplies.  They are a stock item that should
be very easy to find.

--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD                          I'll take a drug test when
UUCP:  ...!ucbvax!sun!plx!dick                Reagan takes an IQ test.

georgep@vice.TEK.COM (George Pell) (11/11/87)

In article <864@plx.UUCP>, dick@plx.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) writes:
> In article <633@hubcap.UUCP> warnock@hubcap.UUCP (Todd Warnock) writes:
> >Does anyone know where I can find a supplier for the smaller jacks
> >used as microphone jacks in avionics ?  The headphone jacks are 1/4",
> >but I'm not sure what the mic jacks are or where to find them -

> Look for stores that sell to the electronics hobby crowd, such as
> Amateur (ham) or CB radio supplies.  They are a stock item that should
> be very easy to find.

The mike jack is not the garden variety phone jack everyone is used to
and is not typically found in electronic supply stores.  They were
originally intended for military use, and can sometimes be found in
in surplus stores.  A ready source is your local avionics shop, San Val,
or Sportys.

geo         (not gEO)

bruce@dciem.UUCP (Bruce Ferguson) (11/13/87)

	Try a large electronics supplier. The manufacturer is
"Switchcraft", and the part # is  " S-260". I've been down
this route myself. The earphone plug is .250 in. and
the dam mike plug is .206 in. How this came to be, we probably
don't want to know.
	Try, Electrosonic,Zentronics, Newport, Future etc.

dave@zehntel.UUCP (Dave Funk) (11/14/87)

Aw, c'mon guys!  Microphone jacks/plugs can be found in any Radio Shack!  Not
that you would necessarily want to buy it there....

And no, I don't mean phone jacks/plugs (although they have those too).
Mic plugs have a slightly smaller diameter and have more conductors than
phone jacks.
--
Dave Funk			 ....!ucbvax!zehntel!dave
Zehntel, Inc.			 ....!decvax!sytek!zehntel!dave

larson@sri-unix.ARPA (Alan Larson) (11/14/87)

In article <2047@vice.TEK.COM> georgep@vice.TEK.COM (George Pell) writes:
+In article <864@plx.UUCP>, dick@plx.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) writes:
+> In article <633@hubcap.UUCP> warnock@hubcap.UUCP (Todd Warnock) writes:
+> >Does anyone know where I can find a supplier for the smaller jacks
+> >used as microphone jacks in avionics ?  The headphone jacks are 1/4",
+> >but I'm not sure what the mic jacks are or where to find them -

+> Look for stores that sell to the electronics hobby crowd, such as
+> Amateur (ham) or CB radio supplies.  They are a stock item that should
+> be very easy to find.

+The mike jack is not the garden variety phone jack everyone is used to
+and is not typically found in electronic supply stores.  They were
+originally intended for military use, and can sometimes be found in
+in surplus stores.  A ready source is your local avionics shop, San Val,
+or Sportys.

Only partly right.  It is a PJ-068 (or some such), and can be had from
most any well equipped amateur radio supplier.  It is used on some of
the older Collins equipment for mike input.  Radio Shack will probably
not have it.  By the way, beware the brass ones and some of the cheaper
chrome plated ones, the surface corrodes (or wears) and the connection
can become poor (or noisy).  (Why is the tower telling me that radio is
unreadable?)

	Alan, wa6azp

dralle@lll-lcc.aRpA (Sir Matthew G. Dralle) (11/17/87)

The place to get the microphone jacks is Aircraft Spruce And Speciality Co.
They are listed in they're catalog.  Price?  Get this, about $1.99 as I
recall.  If you would like the address, stock #, phone #, or what ever,
drop me a line.

						Matt Dralle
						<dralle@lll-lcc.arpa>

f@alliant.UUCP (11/18/87)

> Aw, c'mon guys!  Microphone jacks/plugs can be found in any Radio Shack! ...

Gee.  I know of about a dozen Radio Shacks that don't have them.
--

...!{decvax!linus,mit-eddie}!alliant!f		Bill Freeman
alliant!f@eddie.mit.edu			KE1G @ WB1DSW

dave@onfcanim.UUCP (11/22/87)

No, you can't buy *aviation* mike plugs and jacks at Radio Shack,
at least not any Radio Shack I've seen.  Standard phone plugs/jacks,
regardless of the number of conductors, are intended for plugs with
a nominal diameter of .25 inches.

Aviation mike plugs are .206 diameter, with the jacks being .210.
The relevant Switchcraft part numbers are:

S-260	3-conductor plug; standard quality (like you see on Telex headsets)
S-230	right-angle 3-conductor plug; otherwise similar to S-260
480	3-conductor military-type plug (military designation PJ-068). This
	one is several times the price of the S-260, but its body and
	contacts are machined out of solid brass - this is what David Clark
	headsets use.

S-12B	panel-mount 3-conductor jack
S-13B	same as above, but with additonal contact that connects to
	the "tip" circuit when a plug is not present.
C-12B	military version of S-12B; the only difference listed in my
	catalog is that C-12B has an indexing pin to prevent rotation
	in the panel
S-830	in-line 3-conductor jack (as you would use in an extension cable)

Note that the S-260 and 480 jacks differ in the diameter of the "ring"
contact - it is the same diameter as the barrel in the S-260 but smaller
in the 480.  You have to make sure that the mating contact in the jack
is bent in sufficiently to make proper contact with the recessed ring
of a 480.  Otherwise, you'll have a jack that works properly with a Telex
headset but poorly or not at all with a David Clark.

In Canada, the only place I've found that carries them is Electro Sonic
in Toronto.  Of course, you local avionics shop will likely also have
some.