[sci.electronics] A question

cook@trane.UUCP (Eric Cook) (11/05/87)

	Just would like to toss a question out in space....

	Would anybody be interested in seeing a group for Shortwave
	DX-ing called rec.radio.dx-ing?

	Let's take a count............

cuccia@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Nick Cuccia,,5406400,6587860) (11/16/87)

In article <310@trane.UUCP> cook@trane.UUCP (Eric Cook) writes:

>	Would anybody be interested in seeing a group for Shortwave
>	DX-ing called rec.radio.dx-ing?

Sure, sounds like a thought, but why limit it to Shortwave DXing?
I'm more partial to, for example, Mediumwave, Longwave, and VHF
DX.  Count me in.

On the topic of mediumwave/longwave DX, I have a trio of questions:
(1) does anybody out there have any experience with amplified loop
antennas (for example, the McKay-Dymek/Stoner and Palomar Engineering
products)?  How do they compare with, for example, a large air-wound
loop?

(2) Does anybody out there have any good suggestions for building
loops for MW/LW DX?

(3) I own a Sony ICF-2010.  Wonderful receiver, with the possible
exception of its not allowing users to hook up external antennas
for frequencies below 1.6 MHz.  Has anybody out there successfully
hacked their 2010s to get around this limitation?

Thanks in advance,
--Nick
Remember, when you play Global Thermonuclear War, you don't get best of seven...
Nick Cuccia
cuccia@mica.berkeley.edu 					      (Internet)
{bellcore,cbosgd,decvax}!ucbvax!mica.berkeley.edu!cuccia	          (UUCP)

haynes@ucscc.UCSC.EDU.ucsc.edu (99700000) (11/17/87)

In article <5927@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> cuccia@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Nick Cuccia) writes:
>In article <310@trane.UUCP> cook@trane.UUCP (Eric Cook) writes:
>>
>>	Would anybody be interested in seeing a group for Shortwave
>>	DX-ing called rec.radio.dx-ing?
>>

>Sure, sounds like a thought, but why limit it to Shortwave DXing?
>I'm more partial to, for example, Mediumwave, Longwave, and VHF
>DX.  Count me in.

Well, why limit it to dx?  Is there any interest in a group for
SWL-ing (and MWL-ing and LWL-ing and VHF-ing)?  What would you call
it then?

haynes@ucscc.ucsc.edu
haynes@ucscc.bitnet
..--\
289hartharthlang

winter@apple.UUCP (Patty Winter) (11/18/87)

In article <1154@saturn.ucsc.edu> haynes@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (Jim Haynes) writes:
>In article <5927@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> cuccia@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Nick Cuccia) writes:
>>In article <310@trane.UUCP> cook@trane.UUCP (Eric Cook) writes:
>>>	Would anybody be interested in seeing a group for Shortwave
>>>	DX-ing called rec.radio.dx-ing?
>>Sure, sounds like a thought, but why limit it to Shortwave DXing?
>Well, why limit it to dx?  Is there any interest in a group for
>SWL-ing (and MWL-ing and LWL-ing and VHF-ing)?

I'd like to cast an informal vote for keeping the SWL and related
discussions here on rec.ham-radio. I certainly don't feel that this
newsgroup is so heavily loaded that we need to weed out the stuff
that isn't strictly ham-related. Anyway, I enjoy hearing about
the SWL and non-ham DX stories. Ask me sometime about the tape
we received at KKHI (San Francisco; 10KW) from the SWLers in
Finland....

Patty

--
              Patty Winter N6BIS                   (408) 973-2814
     M/S 2C, Apple Computer, Inc., 20525 Mariani Ave., Cupertino, CA 95014

tech@auvax.UUCP (Richard Loken) (11/24/87)

Definitely keep the SWL stuff here.

Those Fins take medium wave DXing seriously.  They go off into the tundra
with lots of gear and 250' long wires and things.

When I worked at CHAB radio in Moose Jaw (10KW 800KHz) I had the pleasure
of dechipering a 30 second tape loop from Finland...  Our signal was buried
under a 100 odd KW Russian and could barely be heard.  I didn't get out the
call sign but the voice was familiar and it spoke English.

I'll take their word for it :-)

    **********	    Richard Loken VE6BSV
  ..      ****	    Athabasca University
 ....     ****	    Athabasca, Alberta Canada