[sci.electronics] Jamming walkmans

cda@utai.UUCP (11/12/87)

Okay, now I'm REALLY mad and I'm gonna do something
(nasty) about it.  I have, once again, been stuck on
a long train ride near a person who was blasting
their walkman to the extent that is was disturbing
other passengers.  As is often the case, complaints
had little/no effect.
    I'd like to build a walkman jamming device for
use on the train.  One for walkman radios would be
easy, but of little use.  Any ideas whether a
short-range tape-recorder jammer (i.e. noise
generator) is feasible?  Any suggestions for
such a circuit are welcome.
    (Please don't bother telling me about telling
a conductor, I know it's possible although it doesn't
work well.  I also know I could just wear my own
load walkman, but this solution is much more
satisfying).

wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (Wolfgang Rupprecht) (11/13/87)

In article <4149@utai.UUCP> cda@utai.UUCP (processor) writes:
>    I'd like to build a walkman jamming device for
>use on the train.  One for walkman radios would be
>easy, but of little use.  Any ideas whether a
>short-range tape-recorder jammer (i.e. noise
>generator) is feasible?  Any suggestions for
>such a circuit are welcome.

Sounds like a few surplus SDI giga-joule capacitors and a few loops of
wire will do the trick. Problem is you and the jammer will hardly fit
in the subway car by yourselves. You won't have to worry about some
urchin coming along blasting a tape deck in your ear. Oh yes, you will
have to watch out for pace-makers too. Not really desirable to shut
grandpa down in the attempt to quiet a tapedeck.

Now for a fun kinetic energy weapon design. I built a few of them back
in highschool. Take all the large 200v capacitors you can find and tie
them all together in parallel. The more, the better, at least a few
100 uF's are needed to do anything.  Tv power supplies are a good
source for these. Add a charging circuit (a bridge from an isoloted
120 vac with a several watt ceramic 100ohm series resistor is cool).
Find a plastic tube, 6" long with a 1/4" bore.  Mount a coil of
several hundred turns on the plastic tube. drill a small hole ~1/2"
below the coil, and insert a small plastic piece to act as a support.
Leave plenty of room for air to rush around this support. Now drop a
ferrous object down the tube, and energize the coil. I used a spdt
push-button switch which would alternately charge the caps via the
resistor, and discharge them via the coil.

If you have a strobe you can probably adjust the timing such that the
field collapses just as the launched object passes the coil.

Now if you build this: PLEASE BE CAREFUL, 200v can KILL YOU. The
launcher on the other hand is relatively safe, it probably won't do
more than give you a bruise, unless you are looking into the barrel as
it fires, etc. (At least mine never had much umph. Even though I
experimented with various L/C/wire-guage/coil-to-object-spacing
combinations.)

Oh, I should also mention. The caps aren't really designed for this
sort of abuse (no kidding wolfgang!). The plates will fatigue from the
combined forces induced by a rapidly dropping e-field and a quickly
rising m-field.  You will hear a distict <click> as the plates move
during "launch".  What gets really exciting is when one of them
finally shorts out. Hint: Don't leave out the charging resistor.  You
can also add a 1-amp slow blow fuse. Be warned.
Wolfgang Rupprecht	UUCP: mit-eddie!mgm.mit.edu!wolfgang
				(or) mirror!mit-mgm!wolfgang
			ARPA: wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (IP addr 18.82.0.114)

ralph@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Ralph Hightower) (11/14/87)

Why don't you use the Vulcan nerve pinch like Spock did to that guy with
the "ghetto buster" on "Star Trek IV-The Voyage Home"?
--
            ralph@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM   <Ralph M. Hightower>
            NCR Corp., Engineering & Manufacturing - Columbia, SC

ruslan@ecsvax.UUCP (Robin C. LaPasha) (11/14/87)

In article <4149@utai.UUCP>, cda@utai.UUCP (processor) writes:
> Okay, now I'm REALLY mad and I'm gonna do something
> (nasty) about it.  I have, once again, been stuck on
> a long train ride near a person who was blasting
> their walkman to the extent that is was disturbing
> other passengers.  As is often the case, complaints
> had little/no effect.
>     I'd like to build a walkman jamming device for
> use on the train.  One for walkman radios would be
> easy, but of little use.  Any ideas whether a
> short-range tape-recorder jammer (i.e. noise
> generator) is feasible?  Any suggestions for
> such a circuit are welcome.

Well, the other stuff sounds fascinating (kinetic energy weapons,
Vulcan nerve pinches,) but wouldn't a close approach of a magnet
mess up the guy's tape as well?  Maybe it would have to be as big
as the Edmund Scientific half-pounder (just to make sure) but it'd
be simple.

On the other hand, you still have to worry about pacemakers (they
adjust with magnetic gadgets of some sort) and your own nearby
diskettes (!) and any metal-detection or theft-proofing (likely
including library) passageways you have to go through.

You'd also have to get close to the dude and put your magnet
near or on his deck.  Would he be able to figure it out?  How
fast can you move if he can?
Cheers.
Robin LaPasha      ruslan@ecsvax.UUCP

lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) (11/16/87)

> Well, the other stuff sounds fascinating (kinetic energy weapons,
> Vulcan nerve pinches,) but wouldn't a close approach of a magnet
> mess up the guy's tape as well?  Maybe it would have to be as big
> as the Edmund Scientific half-pounder (just to make sure) but it'd
> be simple.
>
> On the other hand, you still have to worry about pacemakers (they
> adjust with magnetic gadgets of some sort) and your own nearby
> diskettes (!) and any metal-detection or theft-proofing (likely
> including library) passageways you have to go through.

Do this and you can kiss your mag strip bank cards goodbye too...

tomb@hplsla.UUCP (11/17/87)

Re:  Jamming mobile tape players --

Since the tape head is a magnetic-field transducer, it seems to
me that you MIGHT be able to mess one up if you generate an AC
magnetic field.  This could take the form of a large coil hidden
away in a briefcase or some such, driven by some appropriate noise
generator.  Since noise is in the ear of the beholder, you might
even try some music you like -- but I suspect that you will have
more success if you use a waveform with a fairly high RMS-to-peak
ratio -- or maybe one which transmits occasional intense random
bursts.  I just tried this sort of thing with 60Hz coil about 3 cm
in diameter, and wasn't too impressed with how close I had to put
it to the tape player to make it really objectional (the tape heads
are shielded, after all).  I'm sure, though, that I could do better
with some experimentation and calculation:  expect larger coils and
higher frequencies to help a lot.

The above method has the advantage that it doesn't erase the tape,
which could get you into more serious trouble after your initial
joy wore off and the dude whose tape you erased figured out what
had happened.

Happy experimenting!

Tom Bruhns
uucp:  !hplabs!hplsla!tomb

acm@bu-cs.BU.EDU (ACM) (11/18/87)

In article <4149@utai.UUCP> cda@utai.UUCP (processor) writes:
>    I'd like to build a walkman jamming device for
>use on the train.  One for walkman radios would be
>easy, but of little use.  Any ideas whether a
>short-range tape-recorder jammer (i.e. noise
>generator) is feasible?  Any suggestions for
>such a circuit are welcome.

I don't have a circuit here, sorry, but here's some observations.

The scanners that many stores use seem to be very effective at
creating noise; creation of a similar, although probably less
powerful, circuit might work fine.

Many expensive walkmans are shielded, however.  The one that I used
all the time (Sony Walkman, the first of the "real thin" series but
far into the walkman revolution) wasn't in the least bothered by the
scanners.  Most of my friends' walkmans were.  You might note that I
was using Sony MDR20 headphones, not the real cheap ones that came
with the walkmen -- it seems likely that the headphones could be
picking up the signal, not the walkmans.

Good luck on your circuit.  I've been similarly annoyed on long bus
rides between school and home.

jim frost
madd@bucsb.bu.edu

robert@uop.EDU (/dev/null) (11/20/87)

lets see, a cattle prod would maybe put out enough spark to kill the
micro chips..

sissors to cut the wire.......
a large magnet to erase their tapes....
an emp spike strong enough to waste their ears and headphones...

oh yeah, and dmso mixed with lsd brushed onto the tape case...

or a .38 with a silencer...

cobra venom in the pepsi

spark plug in their gas tank filler plug (drain and keep most of the gas)

yes you hook it to the coil!

dce@starfish.Convergent.COM (Dan Eykholt) (11/20/87)

In article <4149@utai.UUCP>, cda@utai.UUCP (processor) writes:
> Okay, now I'm REALLY mad and I'm gonna do something
> (nasty) about it.  I have, once again, been stuck on
> a long train ride near a person who was blasting
> their walkman ...
>     I'd like to build a walkman jamming device for
> use on the train.

Just purchase the "BOOM BOX JAMMER" TM  from your local connivance store.
Actualy it's just a simple 9 pound hammer.  Just distract your victim a little,
then tap the box with 50gs or less, thus causing the tape/CD to jam.
If you can not find this, pruchase a can of polyuerthane (sp) foam and seal the leaks.

No I have never used this techique.  The .45 works better.
Oh, of course you could just ask the offensive one to lower the volume.

cs211s40@uhccux.UUCP (Taro Nobusawa) (11/23/87)

~~~~~~
I don't know if this is such a good idea.  It seems to involve more risk
then benifits.  As was pointed out, such things can be unhealthy for
pacemakers, disks, bank cards, etc...  Someone else menthioned the
security systems used in stores, libraries (our campus uses them) that
involve having the books, mechandise tagged w/a small foil strip.
The sensing mech. seems to produce noise on walkmans but doesn't
harm diskettes, cassette tapes, etc. (although at the library, they
have a notice warning not to take mag. media through & I have had
a person I know have a floppy disk zapped)  My Sony D-10 CD player
seems to set these systems off if it's on.  Even using this system
may be impractical to get into a managable size.
--
"Butterflies if you throw it hard enough" -some book title
Taro Nobusawa    cs211s40@uhccux.BITNET

rees@apollo.UUCP (11/24/87)

    I'd like to build a walkman jamming device for
    use on the train.

I would never have believed that a walkman could produce enough sound
to even be heard, much less be objectionable, over the background noise
on a train if I hadn't seen exactly this thing myself.  Imagine how loud
this must be to the person with the earphones on!

If I wanted to build such a device, I would try transmitting a signal
on about 50KHz or so.  At this frequency you have a reasonable chance
of getting a significant amount of energy coupled into the play head
on the walkman.  The theory is that this would intermodulate with the
bias signal on the tape and produce audible noise.  For maximum effect
the signal should be approx. 1 KHz or so off from the bias frequency,
and frequency modulated with the noise source of your choosing.

I would start with an audio amp chip, the kind used in car stereo
applications.  Get one with external equalization so you can run it
above normal audio frequencies.  You should be able to get a couple
of watts out of it.  For best results you'll need a honking big
coil to act as an antenna (either that or a couple hundred feet of
wire, hard to hide on a crowded train).

I have no idea whether you could couple enough energy into the play
head at reasonable range, or whether there is even enough residual
bias voltage on the play head to get the desired intermod products.
The play head and associated electronics will be designed to reduce
the residual bias, so it will be an uphill battle.  Maybe Larry Lippman
could grace us with some of his elegant calculations, or suggest a
better method?

cgs@umd5.umd.edu (Chris Sylvain) (11/24/87)

In article <38a77098.b8ab@apollo.uucp> rees@apollo.uucp (Jim Rees) writes:
< [...]  For best results you'll need a honking big
<coil to act as an antenna (either that or a couple hundred feet of
<wire, hard to hide on a crowded train).

Build your antenna coil into a cane or umbrella, and mutter incantations
as you point it at the offending walkman for effect.--
--==---==---==--
.. the Jabberwock, with eyes of flame, ..
   ARPA: cgs@umd5.UMD.EDU     BITNET: cgs%umd5@umd2
   UUCP: ..!uunet!umd5.umd.edu!cgs

copp@wind.UUCP (11/24/87)

A friend once contemplated building a machine to jam supermarket
music systems.  Many of the markets in our area buy their music
from an FM station--a subcarrier system--and it appeared to be
fairly simple to put a low-power FM transmitter in a briefcase and
capture the receiver.

ajg@whuts.UUCP (GAETA) (11/24/87)

My mother-in-law yelling would make an excellent jamming
device.

In article <3810@bellcore.bellcore.com>, copp@wind.bellcore.com (*David H. Copp) writes:
> A friend once contemplated building a machine to jam supermarket
> music systems.  Many of the markets in our area buy their music
> from an FM station--a subcarrier system--and it appeared to be
> fairly simple to put a low-power FM transmitter in a briefcase and
> capture the receiver.

	Damn!  I wish I had thought of that while I was a carefree EE
undergrad.  It would have been easier to implement that the following
escapade of my college daze...
	During my junior year, my roommate (also EE) and I came up with
a great (!) idea: to jam the audio at a drive-in movie and insert our
own "commentary".  This project required weeks of, ahem, preparation.
First, we scrounged an old Bogen 100 watt PA amplifier of 1950's vintage,
and modified it to run using an external DC power supply - which consisted
of a WW II surplus dynamotor.  Since the dynamotor required 24 volts DC,
we made a temporary installation of two 12 volt batteries in the trunk of
my car.  The dynamotor also went in the trunk, with a remote control
switch.  The amplifier sat on the rear seat, and was covered with a blanket.
	Some "preliminary investigation" at the target drive-in indicated
that a 70 volt line transformer was mounted in the base of each speaker
pedestal, and the one transformer fed two speakers.  We decided to back-feed
into the system at 70 volts.
	On the fateful night, my roommate and I along with two carloads of
"supporters" invaded the drive-in.  We parked in the last row.  Under cover
of darkness, I removed the cover plate at the base of our speaker pedestal,
and attached two 22 AWG magnet wires to the 70 volt feed.  There was enough
clearance on the cover plate to allow the magnet wires to pass when the
plate was put back.  Also, the magnet wires allowed for a rapid - and
hopefully inconspicuous - breakaway.
	I don't remember the name of the movie, but it was a low-budget
horror film about witches in England.  The movie was ripe for a "commentary".
With all connections made, I turned on the dynamotor.  After the tubes
warmed up, I cautiously advanced the master gain control.  Voila!  Feedback,
even though our own speaker was turned off.  It worked so well, that we had
to close all windows in the car.
	My roommate and I engaged in a running "commentary" [y'all can use
your imagination here :-)].  The people at drive in went wild - blowing their
car horns in delight.  The management went nuts.  After about five minutes,
two people ran out of the projection booth with flashlights and started
checking cars.  Needless to say, it was time to pull the plug.  The fellow
who came over to my car looked at us with great suspicion, since we and
the two adjacent "support" cars were all laughing hysterically.  However,
no one said anything to us - I think the drive-in management was still in
a state of shock that someone could do such a thing...
	Since many drive-ins today use an inductive loop AM radio approach,
perhaps this would be easier to do using an AM transmitter (easy to make
using the power op amps available these days).  Of course, such a transmitter
would be unlawful to use, and I could never condone such a thing for a
prank... :-)

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|utzoo|uunet}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}   "Have you hugged your cat today?"

max@zion.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (11/26/87)

This does not equal Larry's anecdote but it does give you a true
example of the effective deployment of electronic countermeasures
by civilians against obnoxious FM radio reception.

I have a friend, whom I will call Joe, who a few years ago was a
quiet electronics technician of the old school. Although too
young to properly qualify as an old fart, he liked to build things
with vacuum tubes. Joe is also a cellist, and a member of a large
local family. He likes to practice his cello, or play the organ,
for relaxation.

Anyway, at the time of this anecdote, Joe had moved into an
apartment in Oakland, California. He did not play the cello or
organ there, out of respect for his neighbors (nowadays he owns
a house, and besides, his neighbors like the music). However, in
the apartment building were some Very Noisy People. They would
play FM stations at all hours, loud. They acknowledged but did
not act on requests to moderate the volume. Now hereabouts this
sort of behavior is illegal -- the police call it a 647 violation,
Disturbing The Peace, so Joe could easily have complained to the
police. But his style was much quieter, and subtler, than that.

He built an FM jammer, which came in later years to be passed around
a lot and dubbed "the family FM jammer." (This was very much in
character -- Joe was always building clever gadgets to fill a need.
The family is very handy with things like that, making do -- Joe's
parents grew up, of course, in the Depression.) It was a beautiful
piece of work: built on a block of wood, with open-air coils,
a large glowing VHF tube, and porcelain insulators. It would
have been completely at home in a 1930's sci-fi movie with Bela
Lugosi in a starched white smock that buttoned up on one side.

The jammer used, simply enough, the 60-Hertz power line to
frequency-modulate the carrier. With characteristic attention to
detail, Joe had made sure that the modulation was just enough
to cover the desired channel without spilling over to adjacent
ones. Yes, it was assembled and aligned with all the loving care
of a commercial transmitter expecting outside inspection.

The procedure was simple but delightful. When the Noisy Neighbors
decided to play loud FM, and this got to bothering Joe, he would
warm up the jammer. Because the jammer needed precise tuning, and
also because the problem had now become a sport, Joe worked the
tuning dial with the fingers of a safecracker, and all the
patience in the world -- I like to think, though I don't really
know, that he had a cigar and a glass of port, perhaps Graham's
Malvedos 1955.

Presently a horrific buzz would replace the (inevitably pounding)
dance beat audible through the wall, provoking vaguely audible
expletives of discontent. Someone would change the station, and the
music would return. It didn't bother Joe; he was patient, and he
was sure of his quarry. Eventually he would find the new station
and they would change it again. Sooner or later there were
expletives of resignation and the receiver was turned off. To his
fortune, they rarely played anything but FM (AM, of course, would
have been even more manageable, but records would have required
a radically different approach).

All of this had the effect of translating a nuisance into good
clean sport, at least for a patient cellist like Joe.

Naturally, as a law-abiding citizen, not to mention a commercial
licensiate of the FCC and bound by the statutes of the Communications
Act of 1934 as amended, I would have been horrified and obliged to

robert@uop.EDU ( ) (11/27/87)

there is a guy in one of the fraternity houses here that built a
"black box" transmitter, it had an on switch and a VCO, he would
tune the little bugger around the FM band and run to full quieting
his neighbor's stereo..

this was great, since it did not hurt the stereo at all! and it was
a pocket sized gadget..

the other thing to note, is a CB that runs a little high on the out-
put side (that is your buisness not mine) will often times put out
enough RF to modulate a speaker. we had a band amp go nuts with a guy
about a block away from our rehearsal area, everyone standing around
discussing the next gig, when "Yeah Goldduster, thats a 10-4" comes
blasting out of one of our amps..

i guess he just was putting out enough to excite the plate in the tube
section, and it amplified the differences it had..

also i noticed when i was a kid (you were a kid?) that when i tuned
my radio shack aircraft reciever (the one that you put together with
spring clips) that it is so unsheilded that it will put nice black and
white bars across your T.V. screen! just tune it around until it happens
and then label the dial for "channel 10" or whatever, this was great,
as it took my sister a couple of days to figure out how it was that
whenever she wanted to watch something, the reception went crazy!

oh well...

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (11/29/87)

<< Larry's Drive-in confession >>

	I can't come close to being as inventive as Larry and the
truly monumental drive-in prank, but it did remind me of being a
devious prankster in highshcool and college.

	My favorite prank was rigging lockers in highschool.  My
friends and I would cruise the streets on trash pick-up day looking
for old TVs and radios.  We'd grab the speakers to make oscillators
for lockers.  One time I wrapped up the 8 D-cells for the
oscillaotr in brown shopping bag paper.  When the janitor found it
(naturally the guilty return to the scene of the crime to gloat
over their exploits) he saw the blown tubualr battery packs and
thought it was a bomb.  I don't know how he and the principal
missed me, as I was sitting on the steps about 20 feet away colapsed
in laughter.

	The best locker device was an old truck horn that a friend
picked up at a garage sale.  About a dozen kids got together and
descended in several waves on all the local Radio Shack stores to
get 96 D-cells with our free battery-of-the-month cards.  The
trigger device was a little 12 volt crystal-can relay held open by
an almost dead Radio Shack 9 volt battery.  When the battery went
dead, we planned, the contacts of the relay would be sacrificially
welded together and activate the horn at deafening volume.  We
warned the planter not to test the trigger, as it was planned to be
sacrificial.  We became suspicious, when after 1/2 hour there was
no blaring horn audible.  The planter admitted to having tested the
trigger.  We conned the planter to go out and kick the locker in
hopes that it would jar the horn to life, as resitution for
violating our orders.  When he kicked the locker, the relay
crippled by tre previous test, set the horn off sounding like a half dead
cow.  Somehow, we got away with it, eventhough it should have been
obvious to the teachers that we were guilty.  I think that the
teachers were secretly amused too.

	I got my "bomb" oscillator back by stealing it back from the
physics teacher's classroom, where it had been sent by the
principal for "analysis".

	I was much less inventive in college.  Actually I had some
grandiose plans, but never got the time between studying to
implement them.  The best prank there was a time delay device built
with a 555 timer and a couple of 7493 and a 7400.  I set it up so
that after 1/2 hour, the last 7493 wold set a latch and energize a
reed realy to turn on a motor run by a D cell.  The motor as
directly attacted to a thread spool on the motor shaft.  The motor
supplied just enough torque to overcome the friction supplied by a
paperclip and allow gravity to take over and unwind several feet of
thread from the spool.  A giant squishy plastic tarantula purchased
at a Spencer Gifts was attached to the thread.  The whole
contraption was concealed in a small box that had originally been
the shipping carton for a Triad interstage audio transformer.  The
device was small enough to sit on top of a pull-down movie screen
in the front of the Electromagnetic Fields Theory I class room.
One day, about half way through a particularly uninteresting
lecture, the spider made its descent.  What was fun was that the
prank device was clearly visible to the class before the descent,
but not the instructor.  Fortunately, the general laughter that
erupted saved the truly guilty party (me) from being nabbed.

Bill Mayhew
NEOUCOM
(wtm@neoucom.UUCP)

robert@uop.edu (Hi how ya doin) (12/24/87)

In article <313@sas.UUCP>, jcz@sas.UUCP (John Carl Zeigler) writes:

> Then there is all those things you can doo with nitric acid. . .

Oh, you mean the "Lightbulb joke" ??

> Pyromania ? me????  no way!!!

me either!!