[sci.electronics] RGB <> VCR

thompson@savax.UUCP (thompson mark) (12/28/87)

In article <2575@calmasd.GE.COM>, jnp@calmasd.GE.COM (John Pantone) writes:
> >> If there are no VCRs that can record RGB, does anyone know of a
> >> comercial product that will convert RGB to composite video so
> >> we could use a VCR.
>
> I have an RCA 45" diag. rear-projection TV.  It has every bell and whistle
> known to man, among which are RGB inputs (for use with a PC - works great!)
> and a video out.  I haven't tried, but I'll bet you could feed the RGB into
> the appropriate jacks and grab video out.

If this i/o panel on your projection TV is the same panel on my 25" monitor/
receiver (I'm almost positive it is), then I have a few comments.
The RGB inputs RCA implemented are NOT analog inputs but TTL digital inputs.
To top it off, they didn't even know enough to make these digital inputs
RGBI where the 'I' represents binary Intesity (the common standard amongst
PC's these days). This setup consequently only yields 8 different colors.
Also, RCA had some problems with noise and crosstalk on these elaborate
i/o panels so I believe they been scaled down significantly in the past
few years (they removed the RGB input for one...).
|      Mark "No longer working for RCA" Thompson
|      decvax!savax!thompson  <-- Center of the Universe about           |
|      (603)885-9229              which all revolves                     |