[sci.electronics] HELP : Cable scrambling

es1e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric Lee Singer) (11/29/87)

	I am interested in the ins and outs of cable scrambling.  This is
informational only, not for illegal purposes.  How do channels like Showtime,
Cinemax, etc. acheive scrambling (the type where you can make out the image
but it is like the vertical/horizontal hold is out of whack).  How can the
cable company selectively turn on/off scrambling at each house or box?  Is
there something up on the pole that has an electronic "address", or is there
such an address in each cable converter that you get from the company.  Is
the scrambling/descrambling done inside the converter box, or does it come
from the pole or cable company already scrambled?  Are there any published
schematics for descramblers in magazines?  I would be interested in figuring
out what they do.

-Eric

KEN@ORION.BITNET (Kenneth Ng) (12/31/87)

>From: wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew)
>Through some fast talking, we were able to convince the clerk at
>the cable company that the box lost its memory due to a summer
>thunder storm.
>--Bill

To make it look like a bolt of lightning really hit the converter,
just hook up the old spark gap generator, car ignition coil, or
other sci-fi high voltage device to the antenna input.  I'd
recommend disconnecting the TV and power first.  :-)

-------
Kenneth Ng: ken@orion.bitnet
Also: ken@argus.uucp, ken@njitsc1.uucp, ken@njit-eies.mailnet

WISCVM.WISC.EDU is history, is your mailer still using it?