[sci.electronics] Antenna Questions

scott@scirtp.UUCP (Scott Crenshaw) (12/31/87)

I think I've got a worst case situation for installing
a HF antenna for amatuer radio use. I'd appreciate any
help you can provide.

The Situation:

My apartment is near the bottom of a large hill. Its surrounded
by power lines. I have enough space for a 15 and 10 meter
dipole against my apartment, but I think a 20 meter dipole is
going to be too close to the power lines (amongst the trees --
see diagram) for saftey. In any case, the antenna is likely to
be almost parallel to a power line, picking up noise.

     220V power line
--------------------------+
 (   some trees    )    |

       <-~23 feet->     | 440+
       ============     | 220 V
       [ my apt.  ]     | power line
       [          ]     |
       [          ]     |

Is this situation hopeless ? Am I likely to get reasonable performance
out of dipoles in the situation ? Is a random-wire run inside the
apartment likely to do better ? Has anyone experience with the
"Slinky"-type antennas ?

Thanks very much !
--
	   Scott Crenshaw		{akgua,decvax}!mcnc!rti-sel!scirtp!scott
	   SCI Systems , Inc. 		Research Triangle Park, NC

jdn@homxc.UUCP (J.NAGY) (01/04/88)

In article <1128@scirtp.UUCP>, scott@scirtp.UUCP (Scott Crenshaw) writes:

> The Situation:
>
> My apartment is near the bottom of a large hill. Its surrounded
> by power lines.
Get a new apartment.

> Is this situation hopeless ?
Yes. You must move.