[sci.electronics] Request for device spec

coltoff@PRC.Unisys.COM (Joel Coltoff) (01/07/88)

The January (I think) issue of Radio-Electronics in the Ask R-E section
has a circuit for monitoring a car battery voltage. I was trying to
understand how the sucker works but get stuck when it comes to the
1N470 zener diode. I can't find this past listed anywhere. Is this a
mistake. The original schematic came from the December 1976 Electronic
Engineering which our library, of course, doesn't have anymore. Is the
1N470 an obsolete part? I sure would appreciate it if someone could
tell me the voltage of this diode.

	Thanks in advance,
		- Joel Coltoff
		{sdcrdcf,psuvax1}!burdvax!coltoff	(UUCP)
		coltoff@burdvax.prc.unisys.com		(ARPA)

In article <5188@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM>, coltoff@PRC.Unisys.COM (Joel Coltoff) writes:
> The January (I think) issue of Radio-Electronics in the Ask R-E section
> has a circuit for monitoring a car battery voltage. I was trying to
> understand how the sucker works but get stuck when it comes to the
> 1N470 zener diode. I can't find this past listed anywhere. Is this a
> mistake. The original schematic came from the December 1976 Electronic
> Engineering which our library, of course, doesn't have anymore. Is the
> 1N470 an obsolete part? I sure would appreciate it if someone could
> tell me the voltage of this diode.

	The 1N470 is a zener diode rated at 7.1 volts @ .250 watts.  The
tolerance is +/- 10%.  Today, 7.1 volts is an unusual zener voltage.
	You might consider using a common 1N4736A (6.8 volts) or 1N4737A
(7.5 volts); these diodes are rated at 1.0 watts.  While this zener series
does not offer a 7.1 volt part, one or the other of the above values is
probably good enough since I have specified numbers with a 5% tolerance.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|utzoo|uunet}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}   "Have you hugged your cat today?"

rep@genrad.UUCP (Pete Peterson) (01/07/88)

In article <5188@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> coltoff@PRC.Unisys.COM (Joel Coltoff) writes:
   Is the 1N470 an obsolete part? I sure would appreciate it if someone could
   tell me the voltage of this diode.

I can't find the 1N470 in any of my current data books or catalogs, so I
assume it is indeed obsolete.

My hoary Motorola "The Semiconductor Data Book" indicates that it's 6.8
volt nominal Vz, 200 mw.  Min and max Vz are 6.2 and 8.0 respectively; the
1N470A is a 5% tolerance version whilst the 1N470B is 1%.  Motorola lists
the 1N5235B as a "similar" replacement.  Note that the shiny new Motorola
books just give the suggested replacement without giving the specs on the
original part --- there are virtues to being a pack rat.

	pete peterson
	{decvax,linus,wjh12,mit-eddie,masscomp}!genrad!rep

mjk@edison.GE.COM (Mark Kocher) (01/08/88)

In article <5188@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM>, coltoff@PRC.Unisys.COM (Joel Coltoff) writes:
> 1N470 an obsolete part? I sure would appreciate it if someone could
> tell me the voltage of this diode.

The Motorola rectifier data book lists a 1N5235B as a "similar replacement"
for the 1N470.  It's a 500 mW, 6.8V zener in a  glass package.  My guess is
that unless the application is an oddball, any 6.8V zener will do.