[sci.electronics] Cancer and Electromagnetic Radiation

ornitz@kodak.UUCP (barry ornitz) (01/05/88)

In yesterday's newspaper, I noticed with great interest an article entitled

          "Link suggested between cancer,  electromagnetic fields."

The article had the byline of the Associated Press,  Tacoma,  WA.   It  was
stated in the article that "amateur radio operators in two states appear to
die  at  abnormally high rates from several forms of cancer,  suggesting  a
possible link between cancer and electromagnetic fields,  according to data
collected by a state epidemiologist."   This article appears to be prompted
by  work  published in the American Journal of Epidemiology by Dr.   Samuel
Milham  Jr.   of the Washington Department of Social and  Health  Services.
According to the article, Dr. Milham studied the deaths of 2,485 Washington
and California amateur (ham) radio operators between 1979 and 1984.   Based
on a population this size, he found the following data:

                               Expected                  Actual
     Cause                      Deaths                   Deaths
     Leukemia                     29                       36
     Lymphatic & Blood Forming
         Organ Cancers            72                       89
     Prostate Cancer              67.6 (!)                 78

I am not sure about the statistical differences between these numbers,  but
I am certain that  a trained epidemiologist  would  check  the  statistical
significance of his data before publishing.  Dr. Milham is further reported
to  have  concluded  that "amateur radio operator licensees  in  Washington
state  and California have significant excess mortality due to acute myloid
leukemia,    multiple  myeloma  and  perhaps  certain  types  of  malignant
lymphoma."

The Associated Press article also quoted Leonard Sagan, program manager for
radiation  studies at the Electric Power Research Institute in  Palo  Alto,
CA.   Sagan warned that studies like Dr.  Milham's could be misinterpreted,
and that the "findings could be simple associations that have nothing to do
with cancer causes among people who work with electricity."

Having  been  an amateur radio operator for over twenty-three  years,   and
having been  concerned with the safety of exposure to  non-ionizing,  radio
frequency electromagnetic energy as a small portion of my job, I have a few
comments about this article.  Before I begin, I  should state that my title
of Dr.  is not a medical one,  but rather a PhD in Engineering.   I  should
also state that  I have not yet read the article in the American Journal of
Epidemiology.

The  medical  effects of exposure to electromagnetic  radiation  have  been
shown  to be frequency dependent.   This is logical since as the wavelength
of radiation approaches the dimensions of the human body, absorption of the
radiation  is  enhanced due to more efficient coupling into the body.    At
higher  frequencies  (shorter  wavelengths),  typically  in  the  microwave
region,  the electromagnetic radiation is absorbed near the surface of  the
body.   The ANSI standards for exposure to radio frequency energy take this
information  into  account,   placing  the  most  strict  requirements   on
frequencies in the VHF (very high frequency) region. Amateur use of the VHF
spectrum, while dating back over fifty years, has primarily been negligible
until twenty years ago.  Amateur transmitter power levels in the VHF region
have  generally  been  much lower than the power levels used  in  the  high
frequency bands.   Antenna placement for VHF,  in terms of wavelengths from
the  amateur's operating position,  is generally high.   These three  facts
would  tend  to  cancel the increased hazard of VHF  radiation.    To  test
Milham's hypothesis further,  a study of FM broadcast engineers, commercial
two-way  radio technicians,  and television transmitter engineers should be
performed  since  these persons are all exposed to various  levels  of  VHF
radiation.   The highest field strengths to  which  amateur radio operators
are normally exposed come from the near field antenna radiation during high
frequency operation.   Power levels of up to two kilowatts may be used with
antenna placement  often  below  a wavelength.    It  should be noted  that
exposure to this power level is intermittent in most amateur operation.  If
Milham's  hypothesis is correct,  broadcast technicians and  engineers  for
commercial  AM  and especially short wave broadcast stations,  as  well  as
military  communication operators should show even higher levels of  cancer
deaths  than  hams.   Operation on microwave frequencies by  amateur  radio
operators  is  rare;  furthermore,  I  would expect any cancers  caused  by
microwaves to be other than deep tissue cancers.    A study of the eyes for
cataracts would be in order, too, since microwave exposure generally causes
eye problems prior to additional damage in the human body.

I  believe  that  other causality should be  investigated  by  the  medical
profession before Dr.  Milham's conclusions are accepted.   I  would expect
that  the amateurs studied by Dr.  Milham were mostly individuals  who  had
been  hams for many years.   An analysis including the length of time  that
the  amateurs  were licensed (or at least active)  would be in  order.    I
believe  that  this analysis would show some increased mortality  (adjusted
for  age,   of course)  for the older hams.   If this  increased  mortality
exists,   I   feel that other environmental factors should  be  studied  in
addition to exposure to electromagnetic fields.

Until twenty-five to thirty years ago,  much of the amateur radio equipment
in use was home constructed.   The construction of electronic equipment  at
this  and  especially  prior years,  exposed the amateur  to  a  number  of
chemical hazards, many of which were not known as hazards at the time.  For
example, I would expect to see higher than normal levels of metals in older
hams such as tin,  lead,  bismuth,  antimony, and cadmium (from soldering);
mercury (from broken rectifier tubes and relays);  barium,  beryllium,  and
rare earth oxides (from broken vacuum tubes and phosphors from  cathode ray
tubes);  radium (from luminescent dials);  selenium (from rectifiers);  and
manganese and zinc (from batteries).   Likewise these hams would have  been
exposed  to rosin fumes containing numerous organic acids (from soldering),
paint   solvents   and  cleaning  fluids  such  as   benzene   and   carbon
tetrachloride, phenol (from burnt phenolic insulators), and asbestos.  Even
more insidious,  however,  was  the  exposure  to transformer and capacitor
impregnating oils.   These oils  often contained poly-chlorinated biphenyls
(PCB's) as flame retardants, sometimes in quite high concentrations.

These chemical  hazards  were  not unique to amateur  radio operators only.
Other  electronic  hobbyists  as well as  people  manufacturing  electronic
equipment would have been exposed to similar hazards.  I feel that it would
be  prudent to compare mortality rates of workers in  oil-filled  capacitor
manufacturing plants to those of the hams studied [for example, the Sangamo
capacitor plant in Pickens,  SC,  which until several years ago was a major
user of PCB oils].

In  conclusion,  I  believe that other causal relationships between  cancer
deaths  and  amateur radio operators may more adequately  explain  Milham's
data.  I propose that Milham or other epidemiologists expand their study to
include  the other occupations I have suggested above.   I  further propose
that  age-adjusted mortality rates be calculated for the existing  data  to
determine whether length of exposure or date of exposure is significant and
whether chemical exposure of these hams might be significant.  I am certain
that  electromagnetic  radiation has effects on the human body,  but  I  do
believe  that electromagnetic radiation is the major cause of the  increase
in cancer deaths as stated by Dr. Milham.

For   those  persons  interested  in  further  study  on  the  effects   of
electromagnetic radiation, I  would suggest the American National Standards
Institute  document  ANSI C95.1-1982, Safety Levels with Respect  to  Human
Exposure  to Radio Frequency Electromagnetic Fields,  300  kHz to 100  GHz.
This  standard  contains  an appendix listing numerous  references  on  the
biological effects of radio-frequency electromagnetic fields.   A number of
other  standards exist for radio-frequency and microwave exposure;  many of
these are listed in the Microwave Engineer's Handbook, Vol. 2.

If anyone has read Dr.  Milham's original article, I would appreciate their
sending  me the exact title and the date of publication so I might have our
library  order  a  copy.   I  would also appreciate the comments  of  other
amateurs  as  well as physicians on this subject.   Please email  responses
directly  to  me and I will summarize or cross-post your  replies  to  both
rec.ham-radio and sci.med (many hams on ARPA receive their postings via  an
automatic mailing list rather than a newsgroup).

Thanks and 73 [ham radio jargon for best regards].
                                   Barry L. Ornitz   WA4VZQ

 -----------------
|  ___  ________  |
| |  / /        | |  Barry L. Ornitz   UUCP:..rutgers!rochester!kodak!ornitz
| | / /         | |  Eastman Kodak Company
| |< < K O D A K| |  Eastman Chemicals Division Research Laboratories
| | \ \         | |  P. O. Box 1972
| |__\ \________| |  Kingsport, TN  37662       615/229-4904
|                 |
 -----------------

In article <1077@kodak.UUCP> ornitz@kodak.UUCP (barry ornitz) writes:
>     Cause                     Expected                  Actual
>     Leukemia                     29                       36
>     Lymphatic etc. Cancers       72                       89
>     Prostate Cancer              67.6 (!)                 78
>I am not sure about the statistical differences between these numbers,

That's not too hard.  In lieu of further information, note that these are
"rare event counts".  Generally you can assume Poisson statistics in such
cases.  This means the probable error of the estimate is the square root
of the estimated count, or approximately 6, 9, and 8 respectively.
Roughly 2/3 of the time, the Actual should fall within this range of the
Expected, if there is no significant correclation.  Although the observed
deviations are somewhat larger than expected, no one measurement has
statistically significant deviation from chance at the 95% probability
level.  The composite probability for the set of three measurements may
be such that it can be taken as an indication of a correlation (I don't
want to bother with the arithmetic), but I can tell by inspection that it
won't be a really strong indication.

>"amateur radio operator licensees  in  Washington
>state  and California have significant excess mortality due to acute myloid
>leukemia,    multiple  myeloma  and  perhaps  certain  types  of  malignant
>lymphoma."

This is simply a misleading statement.  Each is significant only at
probability levels well below general statistical practice (90%, 95%,
or 99%).

>I  believe  that  other causality should be  investigated  by  the  medical
>profession before Dr.  Milham's conclusions are accepted.

Quite right.  Even a statistically significant correlation does not
necessarily imply a direct causal relationship.  Conclusions such as
"amateur radio radiation causes cancer" cannot be reliably drawn from
this evidence.  I don't know whether it does or not, frankly, and the
evidence is inconclusive.  At best, it may guide further research (has
anyone tried subjecting lab mice in large numbers to higher dosages?).

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (01/07/88)

Sicne it is a medical school I work in, the recent spate of reports
on the purported carcinogenic effects of electromagnetic fields has
been a strong topic of converstion.  I'm not convinced that the
methodolgy of the study has been carfully controlled enough to rule
out effects other than electromagnetic exposure.  For instance, the
authors make a statement to the effect:  "The lukemia rate was
found to be higher near the origin of power lines where the current
being carried higher..."  Of course people that live near the
origins of power lines also typically live closer to industrial
regions too, but this was not discussed.

Another interesteing thought is that the earth's steady state
magnetic field is hundreds of times larger than the fields imparted
by exposure to the power grid.  I'm not really qualified to argue
steady-sate vs. 60 Hz effects- I'd be interested in hearing from
somebody who is.  60 Hz is a very long wavelength, so it would seem
that it could be considered virtually steady sate -- maybe not.

At least, I'm glad that the topic is being studied.  I just hope
that the researchers conduct themselves in a responsible manner.

--Bill

keithl@vice.TEK.COM (Keith Lofstrom) (01/08/88)

There may or may not be something here, but it can't be found simply by
counting death certificates.   For example: what if, for some reason,
hams have a lower heart disease rate than the general population, and
live longer?  Cancer primarily strikes in old age.  A cure for heart
disease would show up in non-age-specific statistics as a powerful carcinogen.
How old were those hams when they died?

--
Keith Lofstrom   ...!tektronix!vice!keithl   keithl@vice.TEK.COM
MS 59-316, Tektronix, PO 500, Beaverton OR 97077  (503)-627-4052

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (01/08/88)

:                               Expected                  Actual
:     Cause                      Deaths                   Deaths
:--------------------------------------------------------------------------
:     Leukemia                     29                       36
:     Lymphatic & Blood Forming
:         Organ Cancers            72                       89
:     Prostate Cancer              67.6 (!)                 78

With such weak evidence as this, I'm surprised the author came to any
conclusions at all!  (The other figures are undoubtedly less convincing,
otherwise they would have been published.)

While Ham Radio fans come from all walks of life, I'd be positively
amazed if they represent a precise cross section of the general
population.  More likely, the ham radio population is significantly
skewed in favor of technicians, tinkerers and craftsmen, and these
are not 50th per centile of anything, in most ways one might care to
measure.  There are probabaly more "nerds" than football fullbacks
in ham radio, and their medical profiles may differ as well.

In the meantime, I nominate Milham honary editor of the Journal of
Irreproducible Results.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf  Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V Northwest Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231  VOICE:503-621-3406:VOICE
    TeleGodzilla BBS: 621-3746 19200/2400/1200  CIS:70007,2304  Genie:CAF
  omen Any ACU 2400 1-503-621-3746 se:--se: link ord: Giznoid in:--in: uucp
  omen!/usr/spool/uucppublic/FILES lists all uucp-able files, updated hourly

greg@mind.UUCP (Greg Nowak) (01/08/88)

In article <2174@vice.TEK.COM> keithl@vice.TEK.COM (Keith Lofstrom) writes:
>There may or may not be something here, but it can't be found simply by
>counting death certificates.   For example: what if, for some reason,
>hams have a lower heart disease rate than the general population, and
>live longer?  Cancer primarily strikes in old age.  A cure for heart
>disease would show up in non-age-specific statistics as a powerful carcinogen.
>How old were those hams when they died?

Let's not forget that hams are also not a random sampling. For
starters, they probably have much higher disposable income than
average... which would affect a number of other things, such as diet,
travel, and so on. Given these factors, I don't find the
slightly-higher-than-expected numbers that surprising.

--

                              greg

robert@uop.edu (Robert McCaul -- The Equalizer) (01/10/88)

In article <1562@mind.UUCP>, greg@mind.UUCP (Greg Nowak) writes:
> In article <2174@vice.TEK.COM> keithl@vice.TEK.COM (Keith Lofstrom) writes:
> Let's not forget that hams are also not a random sampling. For
> starters, they probably have much higher disposable income than
> average... which would affect a number of other things, such as diet,
> travel, and so on. Given these factors, I don't find the

also many hams i know are vets, that is to say, they were exposed to
situations and environs that most of us were not.. my room-mate dan,
his dad was with the 101st ABN in WW-II. he was later used in nuke
tests, he and his group were in trenches 10 miles from a test, all the
guys at the 8 mile trench are dead or on the way with cancer and
other auto immune troubles.. not to say this is true for everyone,
but many hams i know have been in military or other technical service,
and exposed to more than their share of many things..