[sci.electronics] X10 Fluorescent Wall Switch Modules

root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) (01/10/88)

In article <3979@ptsfa.UUCP> dmt@ptsfa.UUCP (Dave Turner) writes:
>I wish that there were a wall switch module that would control florescent
>lights. I'd like to be able to control my kitchen ceiling lights remotely,
>as well as, locally.
>
>I know about plug-in appliance modules, but does anyone know if there is
>a wire-in appliance module?

Leviton Manufacturing Co., Inc. Wall Switch Module Cat. No. 6291 is a flat,
"Decora" type, 15 Amp. rated, SPST wall switch.  There is also a 3-Way
module Cat. No. 6293 in the same style if you need it.  These switches
are made to control fluorescent lighting and contain no dimmer.  Leviton also
makes wall mounted controllers.  Your local contractors' electrical
wholesale supply should have them on the shelf.  Look in the yellow-pages
for one, or write for a catalog at:

Leviton Manufacturing Co., Inc.
59-25 Little Neck Pkwy.,
Little Neck, NY  11362.

Leviton's line is not of the insubstantial, home quality, type, but rather
a standard commercial grade suitable for use in industry.  Their line
of modules and controllers, as well as their transformer bridges, are
built to industrial specs.   Liviton makes such a complete line of devices,
that it is completely feasible to have *EVERY* light, appliance, and
receptacle controlled throughout a building.  If there are more than 255,
you must of course set some to the same code.

What BSR and Leviton seem to have left out is the closure of the control
loop; wouldn't it be nice to have the ability of inquiring of the on/off
status of the modules, so you could see if the module responded to your
command?  It would also be nice to have modules that could send an
indication that a contact had closed.  Of course, one would also need a
receiver for these.

With 2-way communication the X10 system would reach full potential, and
could be employed in real energy-management systems.

Larry Dighera

--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)