[sci.electronics] SPICE Libraries for Discretes

steve@miduet.UUCP (01/14/88)

Greetings one and all,

A hardware engineer colleague of mine is getting interested in using SPICE
for doing some hybrid design work, but keeps complaining about lack of
libraries. Does anyone know of a source of discrete component libraries
for said package? Even willing to pay *money*, if forced!

TIA

|Steve Lademann		|Phone: 44 727 59292 x326		|
|Marconi Instruments Ltd|UUCP : ...mcvax!ukc!hrc63!miduet!steve	|
|St. Albans    AL4 0JN	|NRS  : steve@uk.co.gec-mi-at		|

DTREADW@pucc.Princeton.EDU (David Treadwell) (01/19/88)

In article <809@gec-mi-at.co.uk>, steve@gec-mi-at.co.uk (Steve Lademann) writes:

>A hardware engineer colleague of mine is getting interested in using SPICE
>for doing some hybrid design work, but keeps complaining about lack of
>libraries. Does anyone know of a source of discrete component libraries
>for said package?

Steve-
  I posted a similar request a couple of months ago; no response.
The EE department here needs a good library of transistors and diodes,
as the defaults are pretty silly (Ic = Ib for a BJT? Yeah, right).
  Anyway, I did manage to learn a few things in my search for a library:
that the parameters in the Lab books published by manufacturers generally
include data in a format different than what SPICE wants (eg capacitances
measured at different conditions, etc.).  Second, that a real library
DOES exist with a SPICE package for IBM PCs (called, I believe, PSpice).
You must buy the package and then pay a little extra for the library.
Third, that somewhere there exist SPICE users' groups that mantain
large librarys of devices.  We were not able to learn more about these
users' groups.
  Anyone else have any info for us?  Replies greatly apprecieted.