[sci.electronics] X-10 Wall Switch Module Problem

syd@dsinc.UUCP (Syd Weinstein) (01/13/88)

I use the X-10 system for lamps controlled by some wall switches.
Have used the system for 6 years now in this house.  The problem I am
having is on those old control modules.  Mine have the BSR label if
that matters and are the push/push type.

The problem has occurred with only two of the modules so far.
The problem is that the lamp will turn on when the button is pressed
but turn right back off when it is released.  As long as the button is
held in the lamp is on.  If I used the controller and send the code to
turn on the lamp it blinks on and then off.

However, If I dim the lamp, even just a little bit, it stays on.
If I leave it on this way for a while, say two hours or so,
then for a couple of weeks it works fine and the fails again?

Any suggestions other that replacing the effected modules?
Sydney S. Weinstein, CDP, CCP
Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
{allegra,bellcore,bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	FAX:   (215) 938-0235

jdg@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Jim Griggers) (01/16/88)

In article <299@dsinc.UUCP>, syd@dsinc.UUCP (Syd Weinstein) writes:
> I use the X-10 system for lamps controlled by some wall switches.
> Have used the system for 6 years now in this house.  The problem I am
> having is on those old control modules.  Mine have the BSR label if
> that matters and are the push/push type.
>
> The problem has occurred with only two of the modules so far.
> The problem is that the lamp will turn on when the button is pressed
> but turn right back off when it is released.  As long as the button is
> held in the lamp is on.  If I used the controller and send the code to
> turn on the lamp it blinks on and then off.
>
> --
> Sydney S. Weinstein, CDP, CCP

I would suggest replacing the module.  However, there is one thing
you might try.

A few years ago, a plug-in lamp module I had did basically the
same thing.  The heat sinks in those modules are small and enclosed,
causing them to get fairly hot.  Right next to this heat sink was an
electolytic capacitor that had reduced its value to almost zero.
Replacing this capacitor fixed that particular module.

However, I had a wall switch module that would behave very erratically.
It would do as you said. (flip the switch and light would go
on then off; remotely turn light on and it would immediatly go off
again)  It would also go into "Disco Mode" all by itself.  I
came home to a back porch light that was flashing on and off all
by itself.  I replaced the capacitor in it, but it did not fix the
problem.  I scoped around but could not find the problem, so that
module was thrown away.

-Jim Griggers
 jdg@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM

bobw@ncoast.UUCP (Bob Weinberg) (01/20/88)

[ does this still get eaten? ]

A week or so ago, someone posted a comment that there was a source
posted a while back for a Unix version of software which would operate
the Computer control Module of the X-10 system.  I've been watching
and the answer may have come back in mail to the requester.

Would someone please post ot mail me, a way to obtain these programs?

Thanks!

--
Robert L. Weinberg                   ...decvax!mandrill!ncoast!bobw
Tridelta Industries, Inc.             ...decvax!mandrill!ncoast!tdi2!bobw