[sci.electronics] Wire-wrap Question

glowell@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Gary Lowell) (01/14/88)

From glowell Wed Jan 13 14:23:18 1988
From: glowell@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Gary Lowell)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1988 22:23:18 GMT
Subject: Wire-wrap Question
Newsgroups: sci.electronics
Greetings -

Does anybody know if wire-wrap can be used to build a reliable proto-type
at 20 Mhz clock rates and what techniques can be employed minimize
problems ?  I am trying to determine the feasibility building a homebrew
computer using 20 Mhz 80386 chipset.

Thanks for the help.

--
Gary Lowell
(408) 447-7997

coltoff@PRC.Unisys.COM (Joel Coltoff) (01/14/88)

In article <7110004@hpcupt1.HP.COM> glowell@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Gary Lowell) writes:

>Does anybody know if wire-wrap can be used to build a reliable proto-type
>at 20 Mhz clock rates and what techniques can be employed minimize
>problems ?  I am trying to determine the feasibility building a homebrew
>computer using 20 Mhz 80386 chipset.

3M make a prototyping system that is much better than wire wrap.
I don't know what it is called and the one I use is in another
build 15 miles away so I can't check. It works like this. Each socket
has pins that look like

	|\  /|
	| \/ |  (maginified mucho times)
	|    |

and you run a wire along and mash it into the pins. You can squeeze
upto three wires in a hole. You should be able to run an entire net
with 1 wire since there is no reason to cut the wire at each tie point.
It avoids alot of the problems that wire-wrap has such as pins nicking
nets when you make a right angle bend. (What do you mean you don't have
any right angles? You wire point to point and then mash the wires down.
I've never done that. Ha Ha)

	- Joel

gary@grc.UUCP (01/15/88)

In article <7110004@hpcupt1.HP.COM> glowell@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Gary Lowell) writes:

>Does anybody know if wire-wrap can be used to build a reliable proto-type
>at 20 Mhz clock rates and what techniques can be employed minimize
>problems ?  I am trying to determine the feasibility building a homebrew
>computer using 20 Mhz 80386 chipset.
>
>Thanks for the help.
>
>--
>Gary Lowell

I have built a few prototypes using 20 MHz clocks.  I have found it can cause
lots of little glitches that are hard to track down.  Most of these seem to
disappear when a printed circuit version is built.  We have stopped building
wirewrap prototypes of high speed circuits because of these flakey problems,
and start with a PC prototype.

However, if you still want to try, here is what I suggest:

1) Start with a wirewrap board with a good ground plane.  One side should
be solid ground (except for small areas for pins), and the other should be
power or alternating power and ground.

2) Use *lots* of bypass capacitors.

3) Keep ICs as close together as possible to keep wire lengths to a minimum.

4) Use a twisted pair for long wires and for wires that carry high speed
signals (such as clocks), or where a large number of wires are next to each
other for a long distance.  Connect the second wire to ground at each end.

5) Memory arrays are a special problem because signal reflections can mess
up the close timing required to run dynamic RAM.  Consider using a memory
card from another computer and interface that to your wirewrap CPU.
Considering the pain it is to wire up a large array by hand, you would
probably be better off buying a memory card anyway.

Good luck! - Gary.
--
Gary Sutcliffe  W9XT                             (414) 644-8700
GENROCO, Inc.  Slinger, Wis.

ajg@whuts.UUCP (GAETA) (01/15/88)

Joel;
The method of board building that you are referring to is called
Quick-Connect.

Tony Gaeta

jja@tut.fi (Ahola Jari) (01/16/88)

In article <7110004@hpcupt1.HP.COM>, glowell@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Gary Lowell) writes:

> Greetings -
>
> Does anybody know if wire-wrap can be used to build a reliable proto-type
> at 20 Mhz clock rates and what techniques can be employed minimize
> problems ?  I am trying to determine the feasibility building a homebrew
> computer using 20 Mhz 80386 chipset.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> --

	Hi there!

I use Vero- Bicc's Speedwire wiring system as my prototyping system, and
I'm very satisfied with it. Currently I have an Intel 80186 micro wrapped
on a plain non-metallized epoxy board and it runs happily at 10 MHz.
For the display card I've used a metallized card because of the high
(24 MHz) operating frequency. These board are made in various sizes
from E1 to extended E3, S-100, STD- bus, PC-AT and multibus compatible.
Boards are available as plain epoxy cards or metallized and silk screened.
Metallized boards are equipped with power distribution planes and plated
through holes. The wrapping pins are made of beryllium copper and the
cup is coldplated. Standard AWG30 ww wire is used as wrapping wire.
Each of the pins can take two wires passing through the pin, so there is
four wires maximum to one pin, and no need to cut the wire when joining
two or more (busses) pins. Normally the boards are drilled for DIL-
devices, but some boards exist for PGA devices (I've got the only one in
Finland :-) ). This system is nearly optimal for high speed ww projects
because the wire lengths and impedances can be controlled easily.

If you need more info please contact directly or via news.

P.S. I'm also building a 80386 box with Austek's cache controller and
     82786 display processor, Happy Hacking!

		jja
Tampere University of Technology
         Finland

johng@trwind.TRW.COM (John Greene) (01/16/88)

>Does anybody know if wire-wrap can be used to build a reliable proto-type
>at 20 Mhz clock rates and what techniques can be employed minimize
>problems ?  I am trying to determine the feasibility building a homebrew
>computer using 20 Mhz 80386 chipset.

We have wire-wrapped several boards with clock rates of 20 and 30 MHz with
little or no trouble.  The main concern is to keep the wires as short as
possible and bypass, bypass, bypass.

--
John E. Greene    "People are just like frankfurters....You have to decide
                   if you're going to be a hot dog or just another wiener" DLR

johne@astroatc.UUCP (Jonathan Eckrich) (01/16/88)

In article <7110004@hpcupt1.HP.COM> glowell@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Gary Lowell) writes:

>Does anybody know if wire-wrap can be used to build a reliable proto-type
>at 20 Mhz clock rates and what techniques can be employed minimize
>problems ?  I am trying to determine the feasibility building a homebrew
>computer using 20 Mhz 80386 chipset.

Much to my surprise, I learned from some fellow engineers here that wire wrap
is actually *more* reliable than say copper clad-type pc boards.  We have wired
wrapped a few prototype boards that used 22.5 Mhz clocks.

To improve reliablity, make sure you use at least one bypass capacitor per
every two chips.  Place them as close to the chips as possible.  For the
proto board, use somthing that has copper or tin on one or both sides.
You then use a cyldrical-like scrapping tool to remove just enough of the
metal around each hole that you plan on having a component's pin inserted.
The main thing to remember is that higher frequency circuits generate more
noise, and are more suseptable to noise, so use those bypass caps, and
employ GOOD grounding and shielding techniques.  Try to keep the lengths
of the wires short, and keep the design as "clean" as possible.

Jonathan Eckrich                 |   (rutgers, ames)!uwvax!astroatc!johne
Astronautics Technology Center   |   ihnp4!nicmad!astroatc!johne
Madison, WI                      |   (608) 221-9001

dale@lamont.Columbia.edu (dale chayes) (01/17/88)

In article <5256@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM>, coltoff@PRC.Unisys.COM (Joel Coltoff) writes:

> 3M make a prototyping system that is much better than wire wrap.
> I don't know what it is called and the one I use is in another

Its called Scotchflex. We use it extensively. As long as you are
careful with the boards (its not too hard to pull a wire out or
press an extra one in) its great.  It allows much thinner
proto-type boards, and its real quick to move a wire or add one
in the debugging process.

--
Dale Chayes Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory of Columbia University
usmail: Route 9W, Palisades, N.Y.  10964

johne@astroatc.UUCP (Jonathan Eckrich) (01/19/88)

In article <2378@korppi.tut.fi> jja@tut.fi (Ahola Jari) writes:

>I use Vero- Bicc's Speedwire wiring system as my prototyping system, and

I have been looking for a place that will sell me this but distributers are
the only ones who I can find, and they are not interested in the small (<1000)
quantities that I need.  I understand that 3M has a similiar product.  Could
you tell me where I could buy some for my own use.  Thank you.

--
Jon Eckrich                      |   (rutgers, ames)!uwvax!astroatc!johne
Astronautics Technology Center   |   ihnp4!nicmad!astroatc!johne
Madison, WI                      |   (608) 221-9001
N1000M,  1948 Stinson 108-3,  Flying Station Wagon

mbutts@mntgfx.mentor.com (Mike Butts) (01/19/88)

In article <7110004@hpcupt1.HP.COM>, glowell@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Gary Lowell) writes:

> Does anybody know if wire-wrap can be used to build a reliable proto-type
> at 20 Mhz clock rates and what techniques can be employed minimize
> problems ?  I am trying to determine the feasibility building a homebrew
> computer using 20 Mhz 80386 chipset.

In my experience, wire-wrap can work well for small high-frequency runs,
IF YOU'RE CAREFUL.  Your main enemies are inductance and stray coupling.
There are several considerations which will help:
1) I believe the part of your system which actually runs at 20MHz will be
small.  Place the parts so as to minimize the 20MHz run lengths.
Keep in mind, though, that edge rates will be fast for many signals,
regardless of their actual frequency, so be mindful of the following.
2) Use twisted pair for the 20MHz runs.  That is, use a twisted pair
of 30ga. wires, with the ground wire wrapped to ground posts as close
to the source and destination pins as possible.  Needless to say, keep
your runs as short as possible (within reason).
3) Run fast signals directly point-to-point, not in neat up and down
channels, to avoid crosstalk.  The board may not look pretty, but the
signals will look better.
4) Use a board with a ground plane, and ideally with power and ground
planes.  (I know Augat makes such boards, they or others may even have
app. notes on this subject.)
5) Use high-frequency 0.1 mfd bypass caps very liberally - one on each
chip and more on the LSI.  Place them close to the Vcc and Gnd pins.
You might even consider soldering them to the posts.
Caps are cheap, and bad bypassing will give you the most hateful kind
of flakey bugs.

I've never worked with 20 MHz microprocessors, but have seen successful
experience with multi-board FAST-TTL systems running 8MHz globally and 16 MHz
in small parts.

Good luck and have fun!  Here's to the home-brewer!

--
Mike Butts, Research Engineer                         503-626-1302
Mentor Graphics Corp., 8500 SW Creekside Place, Beaverton OR 97005

dgt@myrias.UUCP (David Tang) (01/20/88)

Another manufacturer of a similar system is Robinson Nugent (RN).

A hint:
When distributing a clock signal, you may wish to double up the
wiring.  We've found this makes for a cleaner looking signal.
(Probably has something to do with wire inductance).

jja@tut.fi (Ahola Jari) (01/28/88)

In article <740@astroatc.UUCP>, johne@astroatc.UUCP (Jonathan Eckrich) writes:
> Robinson Nugent (RN), 3M, and others make this low profile 'quick' wiring
> system that we have been talking about on the net for the past two weeks.
> I have been trying to get a hold of some for my own personal use, but I have
> found it to be very hard due to the fact that distributers are not willing
> to deal with the kind of low volumes that I need.  Does ANYONE know of a
> mail order house, etc., that sells these little things?
> Followup, or E-mail is OK.

  I'm working on this, but I haven't got a reply to my telefax from
  Vero- Bicc yet. Be patient.

					jja

jja@tut.fi (Ahola Jari) (01/29/88)

In article <740@astroatc.UUCP>, johne@astroatc.UUCP (Jonathan Eckrich) writes:
> Robinson Nugent (RN), 3M, and others make this low profile 'quick' wiring
> system that we have been talking about on the net for the past two weeks.
> I have been trying to get a hold of some for my own personal use, but I have
> found it to be very hard due to the fact that distributers are not willing
> to deal with the kind of low volumes that I need.  Does ANYONE know of a
> mail order house, etc., that sells these little things?
> Followup, or E-mail is OK.

 Hi John!

	I got a reply from Vero- Bicc UK and they told me the following
        address in the USA:

		Bicc- Vero Electronics Inc
                1000 Sherman Avenue
                Hamden
                Connecticut 06514

		tlx no. 510227889
                fax no. 2870062

                Contact name: Chris Lockwood

	If you still can't get what you need, let me know so I'll
        inform the factory as they ask me to do so. And if you are
        lucky let me know the prices you are paying for them (they
        are pretty expensive here in Finland).

					jja