[sci.electronics] Voltage Controlled Amplifier IC

cook@gaia.UUCP (Forrest Cook) (01/25/88)

I was recently given a sample IC VCA chip known as an SSM2013.  Does
anybody out there know who makes this chip so that I can look up a data
sheet?  I have never heard of the SSM prefix.

Also, while on the topic, does anybody have any suggestions for alternative
low noise VCA ICs or circuits?  I am planning to develop a stereo voltage
controlled pan circuit.

Thanks in advance...  Forrest Cook	WB0RIO

daveb@eneevax.UUCP (David Bengtson) (01/25/88)

In article <341@gaia.UUCP> cook@gaia.UUCP (Forrest Cook) writes:
>I was recently given a sample IC VCA chip known as an SSM2013.  Does
>anybody out there know who makes this chip so that I can look up a data
>sheet?  I have never heard of the SSM prefix.
>Also, while on the topic, does anybody have any suggestions for alternative
>low noise VCA ICs or circuits?  I am planning to develop a stereo voltage
>controlled pan circuit.
>Thanks in advance...  Forrest Cook	WB0RIO

   The SSM 2013 is a product of Solid State Micro Technology for Music
Inc. ( Wheh!! ) Their catalog lists several chips that might be of interest
VCA's VCO's Filters, etc. Hobby/ Retail Sales in the US are:

   Anchor Electronics
   2040 Walsh Ave.
   Santa Clara CA 95050
   408 727 3693

   Technical Services
   635 Eckhoff St. Unit K
   Orange CA 92668
   714 634 2371
   David Bengtson                          If you think that I speak for
   Laboratory for Plasma Fusion            the University, I've got a Bridge
   University of Maryland                  to sell you :-)
   College Park Md 20742
   {your keyboard} !uunet!mimsy!eneevax!daveb
   eneevax.umd.edu

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (01/26/88)

While I don't know about the SSM2013, the Signetics NE572 looks
interesting.  Signetics claims that a dynamic range of greater than
110 dB is possible.  Residual noise is typically 6 uV for the
device.  The chip contains a gain cell, log amp, and output buffer.
See page 15-17 of the 1982 (what can I say, I'm an Old Fart) edtion
of the Signetics Analog Data Manual.

--Bill

phil@osiris.UUCP (Philip Kos) (01/29/88)

In addition to the Solid State Music SSM2013 and Signetics NE570 and
NE572 (I think the 572 is either the low-noise version or stereo
version of the 570, but I'm not sure), just about any OTA (Operational
Transconductance Amplifier, ~= VCA) circuit, like the RCA CA3080 and
others, should work with a little glue.  You may have to check data
sheets to find quiet enough versions.

I expect the SSM2013 has lots of peripheral circuitry designed to do
stuff that you may not need.  I know the NE570/NE572 do; they were
designed to make building companders (like dbx noise-reduction boxes)
easier, which is why they contain the extra circuitry (log amp, etc.)
Bill Mayhew mentioned.

A section in Walter Jung's "Audio IC Op Amp Applications" (TAB books,
I think) contains a low-noise high-stability VCA designed around a
3080.  It includes some pretty involved (to my mind, at least)
temperature compensating elements, suggesting that the older OTA ICs
like the 3080 aren't particularly stable, but it might be a good
starting point if you want to brew your own.  3080s are cheap.

In other news, Radio-Electronics recently ran a couple of quick blurbs
(one in the New Products section, the other in Don Lancaster's new
"hacker" column) on a "solid-state pot" IC which may be an attractive
alternative to using an OTA.

Serious electron heads out there: if I've said anything blatantly
wrong, please be gentle.  It's been awhile since I've seen most of this
stuff.  Also, I'm tracking this discussion.. if you have anything to
add to it, either post it to the net or cc: me a mail copy.  Thanks in
advance....

                                                                 Phil Kos
...!decvax!decuac!\                                   Information Systems
  ...!uunet!mimsy!aplcen!osiris!phil           The Johns Hopkins Hospital
...!allegra!/                                               Baltimore, MD

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (01/30/88)

Hi Max (et al),

Really, the light bulb doesn't bother me; I was just making a silly
comment. (sorry if I forgot the net-smiley face).  Those old #47
pilot lamps really could be used for all sorts of neat stuff when
you had a mind to...

Point well taken that a twin tee won't under work ideal conditions.
I found that using sloppily picked components is likely to yield a
concoction that has a higher probability of oscillating when the
power is switched on.  Fortunately, most hobbyists can't afford an
RLC bridge, thus odds are pretty good that there will be sufficient
mismatch for the thing to actually work.

Point also well taken that the twin tee exploits the nonlinearity
of the transistor to provide AGC after a fashion.  Well, with a
cruddy transistor like the 2N414 that I mentioned that approach was
reasonable.  That is also why the output should be taken between
the two capacitors on the tee, to minimize the harmonics sent to
the output.

A fun diversion for periods of rainy boredom would be to run the
old twin tee through spice with ideal and then real world component
values and see what happens.

--Bill